Generic Host for Win32 Process error and svhost.exe crash with VPN

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by zero2008, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero2008

zero2008 Registered Member

I'm getting this error when my VPN connection is on. I can't surf the web with this error, but my P2P programs are still running fine. Can I just ignore this error? I don't care if I can't surf the web. Will all the traffic still go through my VPN even with this error and the svhost crash? Thanks.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think svhost.exe is malware and the real MS process is called svchost.exe (with the c in it). you should at least check that out, i looked it up quickly to make sure i got it right and it looks that way.

but, if you are getting an error with svchost.exe though there's a fairly good chance you can fix the problem or get a good idea where the problem is. there should be a DLL and process you can identify, you can try in the event viewer. there's this cool looking program that might give a bit more info than the native event viewer -
    http://www.eventlogxp.com/

3. zero2008

Yes, it's an svchost error. Can I ignore it though? Will the VPN still work correctly (not leak unencrypted traffic to the regular connection)? Thanks.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't ever use anything like VPNs but as no one else has answered this is all i can say -

maybe the error could mean the VPN is being bypassed, the only thing i can think of is checking with some network monitors and packet sniffers and maybe seeing if the key exchanged worked. loads of people use VPNs someone should have a better answer! i'd check on the home page of whichever vpn you are using, they should have a troubleshooting guide.

you really should try and fix the svchost error though

5. zero2008

I fixed it. By upgrading to SP3. It's been a day connecting with VPN now, and so far no errors. So I guess something's wrong with SP2 and VPN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.