Generic Host for Win32 Process error and svhost.exe crash with VPN

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by zero2008, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zero2008

zero2008 Registered Member

I'm getting this error when my VPN connection is on. I can't surf the web with this error, but my P2P programs are still running fine. Can I just ignore this error? I don't care if I can't surf the web. Will all the traffic still go through my VPN even with this error and the svhost crash? Thanks.

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think svhost.exe is malware and the real MS process is called svchost.exe (with the c in it). you should at least check that out, i looked it up quickly to make sure i got it right and it looks that way.

but, if you are getting an error with svchost.exe though there's a fairly good chance you can fix the problem or get a good idea where the problem is. there should be a DLL and process you can identify, you can try in the event viewer. there's this cool looking program that might give a bit more info than the native event viewer -
    http://www.eventlogxp.com/

3. zero2008

Yes, it's an svchost error. Can I ignore it though? Will the VPN still work correctly (not leak unencrypted traffic to the regular connection)? Thanks.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i don't ever use anything like VPNs but as no one else has answered this is all i can say -

maybe the error could mean the VPN is being bypassed, the only thing i can think of is checking with some network monitors and packet sniffers and maybe seeing if the key exchanged worked. loads of people use VPNs someone should have a better answer! i'd check on the home page of whichever vpn you are using, they should have a troubleshooting guide.

you really should try and fix the svchost error though

5. zero2008

I fixed it. By upgrading to SP3. It's been a day connecting with VPN now, and so far no errors. So I guess something's wrong with SP2 and VPN.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.