General Security Question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chris18, Nov 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris18

chris18 Registered Member

I'm not sure where to place this as it covers several things that have their own headings. Moderators, please move if required.

I am shortly to take delivery of a new 64BIT PC which will mean having to do a fresh install of XP Pro plus SP2.

I have an Origo ASR-8400 router and I'm using NOD32 & Sygate. Previously I had used avast! because it had a mail checker but this had known issues with Sygate after some updates.

I have always tried to keep the MS security updates current but during a conversation recently with a friend he rather poured scorn on that idea saying that with a router and a good firewall and anti-virus he couldn't see the necessity for the security updates. Especially, as in my case I'm using Opera as my default browser although I have to retain IE6 for those sites, such as my BTYahoo mail, that will not work with Opera.

I'm still using OE for mail although I have Mailwasher and also use the BTYahoo spam filter to give added protection.

When I commission the new PC I am thinking of switching to Kaspersky anti-virus and Kaspersky anti-hijacker mainly because Kaspersky has email protection which NOD32 doesn't, and also because Kaspersky Anti-Virus also has some issues with Sygate (quite a number of anti-virus seem to suffer this) so by switching to Kaspersky Anti-Hijacker I will at least have compatability between the two products.

I would appreciate any comments/advice on:

a) Whether there is a need to keep the MS security updates current given my proposed system.

b) A comparison between NOD32+Sygate and Kaspersky Anti-Virus+Kaspersky Anti-Hijacker.

Thanks

PS Must change my CP

2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Imo & Ime:
    a) Always keep an OS updated. Critical updates.
    b) I use NOD32 resident & KAV 3.5 on-demand. Also in the past used KAV 5.xx as resident. So I'd say NOD32 or KAV about a toss up. Always been satisfied with Sygate, using Ghostwall right now. Might change. Haven't tried Kaspersky Anti-Hacker.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Chris

I think you should wait until Kaspersky Internet Security 2006 is released in jan/2006 before you make you decision, in case you do not wish to wait, then you should know that if you buy the suite now you will entitled to the upgrade.

A. You should keep MS updates on, thats very important!

B. Choose the one you like when you have tried the 2006 Kaspersky suite, they are both good.:)

4. chris18

Thanks for the replies which were more or less what I expected as regards OS updates.

zapjb

That's interesting because I installed the trial version of KAV 5.0.388 and it blocked my Internet access.

I put a question on the KAV forum and they stated that KAV should not be run with any other anti-virus (in my case I had NOD32 still running).

They also said there were some issues with Sygate

Until recently I had NOD32 & avast! running together so that I could use the avast! email scanner but I've now uninstalled this in order to install the KAV trial as this also gives email scanning. Can't be bothered to reinstall avast! and anyway there is a program update and this always seems to cause problems with Sygate.

I need to decide which software to load on my new PC so will need to reconsider my options.

5. Don Pelotas

Chris when you install Kaspersky 5.0 on a pc with a firewall, then you need to disable the "minifirewall" kav this way during the install:

You will during the install encounter this window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/1415/k47hg.jpg

Here you uncheck "Operate according to recommended settings", click next and proceed to the next window:

http://img157.echo.cx/img157/6915/k58gf.jpg

Here you uncheck "Use real-time protection against network attacks", click next and finish the install as you would normally do.

Important: IDS is a part of the firewall, and it cannot replace a fully functional firewall on your computer. Kaspersky Labs recommends you to use this system (Intrusion Detection System) only if you do not have a personal firewall on your PC. In order to have full control over network activity on your computer (control over applications' network activities, packet filtering) we recommend to use a fully functional personal firewall

Or if have it installed already, this way:

Try to go into the real-time protection settings, and press this one:
    http://img293.imageshack.us/img293/9742/realtimeprotectionsettings6ab.png

Then checkmark this one, and press "Ok":
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/5334/realtimeprotectionsettings24nw.png
    Now reboot. It's not really needed when you have a firewall and it's actually recommended not to use it in this case. It's an option for those without firewall protection.:)

6. chris18

Thanks for the reply Don

I actually uninstalled Kaspersky in order to get my Internet working OK.

Perhaps I'll give it another go, follow your advice and see what happens.

As you will see from the reply that zapjb gave they can work together, of a fashion. Looking through the Kaspersky site it seems that NOD32 doesn't cause the Kaspersky install to flag a potential conflict of interest.

When I was running NOD32 & avast! I disabled everything other than the email scanner in avast! and both progs coexisted OK. That's what I hoped to do with NOD32 & Kaspersky.

I really didn't want to uninstall NOD32 at this stage because I just wanted to compare both products before deciding which to have on the new PC. I particularly wanted to see what the Kaspersky email scanner was like.

7. Don Pelotas

You're welcome.
    Then you didn't look closely ;), because it specificly says that it is not recommended to use another AV together with Kav 5.0.

I know some can make it work (using Kav as on-demand, this is easy to do with 3.5 & 4.5), but trying to make Nod32 & Kav 5.0 co-exist with real-time protection on is a sure way to a conflict and you don't need two AV's, choose the one you like best and use that.

You have a much higher chance of having a conflict with two AV's running, than you have of getting a virus with an updated AV, but you should also trial Kaspersky 2006 when it arrives, it is a lot different than 5.0 and much improved with regards to speed (real-time).:)

8. chris18

Yes I realise that now but I wasn't going to have both with real-time protection on anyway.

I'll take NOD32 off my spare drive and install KAV instead and see how I get on. But I'll also bear in mind your comments about Kaspersky 2006 and perhaps wait until it comes out before I make a firm decision.

9. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Im a little confused by your post because Nod32 does have an email scanner , or is nod for 64bit different?.
    ellison

10. chris18

Not using NOD 64-Bit, mine is NOD32 2.5.

Yes, you are correct it's me that's confused. NOD has EMON that will scan both o/g and i/c emails but I'm using OE and there doesn't seem to be a plugin to work with that. avast! on the other hand scanned OE messages.

I'm now wondering if Kaspersky also only works with Outlook, in which case, I have to question whether I want to consider switching unless I get some worthwhile benefits.

The alternative of course is to use Outlook on the new PC in which case of course I can use NOD.

zapjb

I've been looking through the various replies, am I right to think that you only have AMON active and all the rest inactive?

As a result of your comments I'm trawling through the NOD32 forum to see if there is a plugin for OE and I've found the following reply to a question (which I've edited):

Can I assume from this that i/c emails are scanned as written to the drive as with any other file? This does of course mean that o/g ( & i/c) emails won't have any text confirmation that they have been checked as safe.

have now found the following reply:

I didn't have IMON active but have done so now and will see what happens.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2005
  11. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

chris18, I have AMON & IMON active.
    But DMON (M$ office doc. monitor) & EMON (M$ outlook email monitor) are inactive. Because I don't use any M$ office software nor is M$ outlook installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.