General consensus about upgrading to version 4

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

My license is about to expire, so most likely will upgrade from version 3 to version 4, but wondering what possible problems or glitches I should maybe watch out for. I was reading about the start up scan really slowing things down, and I guess some people disable it, oro_O Anything else I need to be aware of? Also, do most of you just use the default settings? Thanks in advance for any and all feedback!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Re: Genearl consensus about upgrading to version 4

The start up scan doesn't slow me down and I have an old computer, and when I say old I mean OLD. I haven't had a single problem, not one. Just make sure you download the latest build. What other security software are you using as there may be conflicts? I use default settings.

3. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

I use default settings except for these:

I disable "scan on create" and "scan on open" - they both cause large slowdowns. Make sure you keep "scan on execute" ticked.

I also only scan the default file extensions, rather than all file extensions.

I'm probably making myself less scure by doing this, but I've had no infections yet (licenses for 100 computers) and no slowdowns.

Jim

4. acillatem

O.k. I'll see how it goes without doing anything, and then maybe try disabling the 2 things you suggested, If I experience noticable slowdowns. Are these 3 things you just mentioned all in the same spot in the program? I don't have it yet, that's why I ask. Thanks.

5. acillatem

Thanks! No other security software running. I uses MBAM and Superantispyware, but I run the scans at will, no realtime protection.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You may not have to disable anything in the event of a slowdown. All that you may need to do is modify something here or there. There are excellent resource people here for that.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  7. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

To be honest with you I do not think the startup scan really makes much of a performance impact.. It is very useful, and today I witnessed it catch malware.. I think it is an important component.

8. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Yep.

startupscan.png

9. bradtech

bradtech Registered Member

lol looked like my old database before I recently backed it up.. Now I only have 81 threats 3 weeks :D

10. acillatem

Yeah, I'm definitely going to give it a good spin before considering doing anything with it at all. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.