General confusion about .tib files

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by wildkick, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildkick

wildkick Guest

So I created a set of about 24 CD-RWs after imaging my main drive.
    I then freshly reinstalled XP Home and then began copying those various .tib files back to the main drive. Two of them kept producing error messages, particularly bad checksums.

So, mainly, am I able to use True Image to explore the good .tib files, even though two of the 24 are corrupted? My ultimate goal: restoring a few hundred files out of the full set of .tibs.

Even more basically, how do I get the full set of 24 into one massive viewable imaged drive so I can pick and choose what files I wish to restore?

2. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Concerning your backup scheme, isn't this an indication that using CD-RW is both excessively fragile and time consuming?

With the two discs that are bad, try using ISOBuster to extract the data from them. That way rather than Windows Explorer refusing to copy any of the data from the file when it encounters a read error, it will copy the TIB file and if there are some bad sectors, then just that part of the TIB will be corrupt.

I'm not certain how ATI will handle this case, but I have a feelign that you should be able to restore all of the files except for those that reside within the damaged area of the TIB.

So copy the TIBs to your HD that you can, and for those that give trouble, try the ISOBuster technique. Once you've got all the files on your drive, you should be able to mount the set of images as you normall would, creating a drive letter for you to explore and restore files from.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2004
  3. Wildkick

Wildkick Guest

4. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

If your computer has USB2 functionality, an external hard drive makes for excellent backup medium. No disc swapping, and increased reliability.

If not, you could consider adding an additional internal hard drive for backups.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.