General Compiler Error back again and again

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by dagatwork, Jun 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dagatwork

    dagatwork Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    Posts:
    4
    I'm trying to resolve a 'General Compiler Error/Virus Scanner INIT failed/NT Authority/SYSTEM error in log' on a co-workers computer. The machine is Windows 7 32bit SP1.

    The NOD32 AV is V4.2.67.10.

    Installed ESET Modules:
    Virus signature database: 6215 (20110616)
    Update module: 1033 (20110222)
    Antivirus and antispyware scanner module: 1300 (20110517)
    Advanced heuristics module: 1118 (20110419)
    Archive support module: 1133 (20110614)
    Cleaner module: 1050 (20101207)
    Anti-Stealth support module: 1024 (20101227)
    SysInspector module: 1220 (20110517)
    Self-defense support module : 1018 (20100812)
    Real-time file system protection module: 1004 (20100727)

    First off, I've tried the instructions here :
    http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN537

    So, I've uninstalled/ re-installed and it comes back.

    I've also cleared out the em*_32.dat files - this got the 'eye' back to green and everything seemed okay for a day... then back to the error (presumably the next time it tried to update.)

    I'm out of ideas. Please advise how to fix this permanently. Thanks. :(
     
  2. zloyDi

    zloyDi Registered Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2010
    Posts:
    17
    Location:
    Ukraine
    Please check Free space on your hard drive and check folder Temp
    Here
    c:\Temp\
    c:\Windows\Temp\
    If folder does not exist please create him.

    Thank you.
     
  3. Marcos

    Marcos Eset Staff Account

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2002
    Posts:
    14,374
    Do you update from ESET's servers or from a local mirror? Try running Process Monitor and filtering operations for ekrn.exe, maybe it will give you a clue if there's an issue. At least it could help support personnel to identify the problem.
     
  4. dagatwork

    dagatwork Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    Posts:
    4
    Hi,

    Thanks for the replies. zloyDi's suggestion to add /temp didn't resolve the issue.

    The server is update is set to 'automatically'.

    I've tried the Process Monitor and filtering operations for ekrn.exe but it doesn't show anything. Should the only filter listed be the one for ekrn.exe?

    Any other suggestions welcome.

    Thanks
     
  5. Mister Natural

    Mister Natural Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Posts:
    225
    Location:
    3rd density St. Louis
    Forum regulars know I've had a long running thread on this. Only thing that has helped but still not completely fixed is to enable pre-release updates in order to get the latest update module. This significantly reduced the error on most machines having this problem. The machine I use at work continues to be the most troublesome in which I'll receive the error once a week or so.
     
  6. dagatwork

    dagatwork Registered Member

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    Posts:
    4
    Yes it seems very intermittent... The 'clear cache and reboot' seemed to fix it yesterday...

    I find it interesting that it seems to find a new 'error' for not being able to update each time. From 'general compiler error' to 'error allocating memory'... Perhaps they are related somehow. The eye is green this morning.

    :)
     
  7. Mister Natural

    Mister Natural Registered Member

    Joined:
    May 10, 2007
    Posts:
    225
    Location:
    3rd density St. Louis
    An FYI for those interested.
    I continue to roll out Windows 7 machines and I'll share one specific scenario.

    A month or so ago I setup 2 brand new Dell optiplex pc's for 2 users which actually sit next to each other. The machines are identical in every way including software installed and running on the systems. Both machines originally were acquiring updates from a eras mirror in the office. One machine has been updating without a problem and continues to do so. The other machine started getting compiler errors within a day or two after the machine was installed for the user. I would clear the cache on the machine and the next day after the system was rebooted it would acquire the update. But then the compiler error would continue to occur every day on the machine. After a week or more of this I changed the machine to update "automatically" from the internet and enabled pre-release updates. Since that has been done that machine has not received a compiler error. It's been about 2 weeks now since I made that change on that machine.

    From experience I can say this may not completely prevent the error from returning but does reduce the occurrence.
     
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.