Genealogy Website changed Desktop Wallpaper

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bch, Oct 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bch

bch Registered Member

I was looking for a genealogy program and came upon Legacy 5 at Softpedia http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Legacy-Family-Tree.shtml (This link is safe.) There is a link to Millenia Corporation on the site and I clicked on this and browsed their site where they had details of Legacy 6. When I subsequently minimized the browser window, my Desktop Wallpaper had been changed to a white background with "Version 6 of Legacy is now here", (I can't remember the exact wording).

I was using Opera 8.5 on XP Home at the time and, by running TrashIt, found the offending jpg file in the Skins folder within the Opera Profile folder, (it wasn't in the Opera Cache folder). I am a bit flummoxed as to the mechanics of how, by just visiting a website, my Desktop Wallpaper can be changed. After scanning with security apps nothing else appears to have been deposited. I had ProcessGuard and NAV 2003 running at the time. I've run HijackThis and there are no differences to a previously backed up log.

I won't make any personal comments about these people other than to say you would think genealogy experts would know who their fathers' were.

2. bch

bch Registered Member

Anyone any ideas on the mechanics of what happened here?

I couldn't remember if I had scripting enabled in Opera when I visited the site originally so I revisited today and browsed around with scripting turned on, then off, but didn't encounter any problems. (I did drop a line to Softpedia about it at the time so maybe they got them to change their practices.)

3. Egg beta

Egg beta Registered Member

Hi bch,

Sorry I can't shed any light on this, but I'm quite surprised. I've been running Legacy 5 for about 18 months and, naturally, have browsed their site a fair bit during that time and never encountered anything out of the ordinary.

Again, sorry I can't be of any help here, but just thought I'd let you know that I've never encountered any problems with either the program or the site... except, that is, the last I heard Legacy 6 won't run properly on Win 98 despite what it says on their site.

If you're still looking for a genealogy program you might want to take a look at this one http://www.rootsmagic.co.uk/

...and have a look here too http://www.lkessler.com/gplinks.shtml

I hope this is helpful in its own way.

4. bch

bch Registered Member

Thanks for those links Egg beta. That's very helpful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.