GDATA or F-Secure ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by rokko, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rokko

rokko Registered Member

Thanks.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

3. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

GDATA for home usage. F-Secure for corporate network :-*

4. AsianTiger

AsianTiger Guest

Simple answer - try both, download the trial versions from their websites.

F-Secure http://www.f-secure.com/download-purchase/list.shtml
    Gdata http://www.gdata.de/gdc/us_downloads

When it comes to AVs the most important thing is how well it runs on your computer.

Gdata (Antivirenkit) as I understand has both the Kaspersky and Bitdefender engine, F-Secure has two others (3 engines) including the Kaspersky engine (I think one is it's own, sorry can't remember the other one from the top of my head). Which one? depends on the spec of your PC i.e F-Secure is known to slow down a lot of PC's (it worked fine on mine before I switched to Nod32 which runs great).

Hope this helps.

AsianTiger

5. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Why? o_O

6. rokko

rokko Registered Member

to Don Pelotas:
    Why?

7. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

AND the protection level it offers. BOTH should be considered equally.

VirusBuster would run very well on my system BUT would not offer me the protection level of most other AV's.

F-Secure probably offers me better protection than Dr Web BUT it slows down my computer in real time compared to SpiderGuard.

8. Don Pelotas

Just a personal choice when i can't have the original (Kaspersky), at least the Bitdefender engine in GDATA will provide some teoretical added protection. I would never buy any of these two personally, they are both quite heavy on my pc's (2006 versions) compared to Kav and does not increase the protection. I would choose Bitdefender or Kaspersky before i would choose GDATA or F-Secure, but since the question was "GDATA or F-Secure ?"............

Now you know why.:)

9. rokko

rokko Registered Member

to Don Pelotas
    Yes, your answers are clear, as always they are :-*
    But still, KAV+BTDF<KAV?
    How it is possible?
    Do not mention costs...

10. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

Both slow down my computer... More than eScan, Kaspersky, BitDefender or Dr.Web.
    I tried GDATA here last 3 days and its impossible... I put web protection off and other option OFF too, but it's very high to system... and I use eScan, kaspersky and Dr.WEB without problems...

11. AsianTiger

AsianTiger Guest

Blackcat, I stated this in context (between the two) as both F-Secure and Gdata have strong detection rates.

Exactly my point, F-Secure slowed down your PC and even though as you say it has a better detection rate it seems that you opted for another AV that doesn't.

AsianTiger

12. Don Pelotas

Because of the enormous amount of overlapping signatures, this and the fact that they both run heavier than the "real thing". This is on my pc and may not apply to your setup, trial them and see for yourself, no one but you should decide, they are certainly not bad. Go with what you feel fits your needs. Just remember to clean your pc of the previous AV's you trialed before installing the next. :)

13. ws123

ws123 Guest

using new f-secure 2006 internet security - since september 2005 and i must say, compared to kav or gdata it is working very well and smooth. my athlon xp 3000 system is not loosing performance as strong as with gdata avk is 2006. even kav and kah are more heavy and together i think less secure!

so don´t have f-secure 2005 in mind, it was a heavy peace of software, but the 2006-version is much more better!

14. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

GDATA may not be using the latest KAV engine. It's unlikely KAV would license something to a competitor that would outdo their own prog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.