Gdata AVK vs. eXtendia AVK some info

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dan_maran, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Just had an e mail from my Father to say he manually updated extendia and now no more corupted KAV databases messages :D

Best Wishes

Jlo

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

thats good news. Your Dads doing well with it all.

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

Well Dad has finally given up on Extendia single edition :'( as it just slows down his computer so much (He is running Windows XP Pentium 4 3000 load of ram hyper threading etc)

We found out that to open nero burner was very very slow but when browing his computer on the web it just ground to a halt!

Well it was only $10. He has moved back to AVG which is very very light (I know it has nothing like the detection of KAV based scanner or mcaffe or NOd) but its better have that than to keep switching of the on access scanner to do things on your computer.

Worst still if you disable the on access scanner and forget to switch it back on, when you reboot the computer it stays deactivated!!

He will stick with AVG whilst being on dial up and when he moves to broadband we will look at Nod32.

Shame.

I've been very pleased with Escan on mine with no problems.

Cheers

Jlo

4. Unity

Unity Registered Member

You can still use AVK for a scheduled scan tho , it's still a great and cheap backup scanner , if you ask me :)

When you install it , just untick the resident scanner ( and the mail scanner if you don't use it ) and you're gonna have a simple backup scanner.

That's how i use it ;)

5. ?waters

?waters Guest

hi
    I uninstalled also.It also slowed my computer to a halt.I now have kav 5 with no slowdown.

6. solarpowered candle

It is a great idea to use extendia kav as a on demand scanner if you are unable to get it too flow well on your pc in real time.

7. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Sorry to beat a dead horse but, I just got back from holiday and while away I installed my extra licensed version of eXtendia AVK Pro on a family members computer, and needless to say it was not lagging at all. As where mine was considerable with eXtendia's version, this PC was and Intel P4 1.8 as where both my test machines are Athlon XP's (2000 and 2500 respectively). So now the burning question, if you are running eXtendia's AVK (Pro/Single) which chip are you using and how is your performance?

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

My Father's computer is Pentium 4, 3000ghz proc, 512 ram, 256 graphic card, Hyperhtreading technology.

I don't know much more than that.

He found programs like Nero burner took an age to open unless you turn of the on access scanner and certain websites the computer would just grind to a halt.

He tried the single licence KAV engine of extendia. It was worth a try. He has gone back to avg now which is very light.

Cheers

Jlo

9. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

P4 3Ghz with HT and 1 GB of DDR 400 Dual Channel mode powering a pair of Western Digital Raptors in RAID 0. Slows me down like replacing the P4 with a 200Mhz on most everything.

10. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Thanks for the information gents.

I am getting severly irritated at both eXtendia and GData. Neither of them are responding to emails anymore, eXtendia was ok at first only because they wanted my money for a resource hog of an AV, and GData has always been crap. I am seriously debating NOT renewing my license with GData until they get an english speaking partner, not eXtendia! I realise that is harsh but the Tech support from both has been crap. IMO

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  11. solarpowered candle

P4 .. 2.4GHz ... 256 MB . Run with extendia Kav single ... It goes fine with real time monitor. ( perhaps the slightest of drag using its full settings) . I have not had any problems with extendia for communication. It pays to add your client details with your email. As they dont answer otherwise.
    I am currently not using the real time monitor . Just surfing with Look n stop ...process guard.... Prevx pro in real time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.