GData AVK 2005

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hollywoodpc, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Interesting . I heard a few people saying how wonderful they think it is to have an english trial for this program and raving about how wonderful it is . Guess what ? No updates during the 30 day trial . How cute . What decent AV company will alow you to trial for 30 days but , give you no updates ? OMG . Are they kidding ? Anther AV I THOUGHT was good . It may be but , based on how they deal with the trial , THEY SUCK !!!!! An AV with no updates ? Ok . Do they plan on people buying if they cannot test it out properly ? I am curious .

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I think its a 14-day trial hollywoodpc.

3. hollywoodpc

It said 30 . Another reason to stay away

4. Firecat

Hey, I've not confirmed its a 14-day trial!

5. hollywoodpc

Their site said 30 . What is their problem ? Man . And again , NO UPDATES .

6. Firecat

Its the same with All AVKs I think...for eXtendia AVK you actually have to e-mail them for a trial key so you can trial eXtendia AVK! And only after you recieve your email do you know whether it offers updates or not during the trial period...never wanted to try it.

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I agree with Hollywood. For them not to allow signature updates during a 30 day trial :eek:, it makes no sense at all.

I do like the AV tough, much nicer than any multiengine product i've tried. :)

8. Firecat

eXtendia AVK?

9. steverope

steverope Registered Member

Extendia Pro AV updates their KAV database every hour.......their RAV database is updated much less frequently. Other than that, I've had just about every other trial of AV availible, and the Extendia is proly the best I've see and used.

10. hollywoodpc

Hi Steve.
    You really believe EXtendia is that good ? How did they fair in differing tests ? Curious as I am unfamiliar with this application . The KAV engine ? SWEEEEEET . Who can tell me about this thing ?

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

See this thread, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=57910&highlight=eXtendia
    Also searching eXtendia kicks alot of results.
    HTH

12. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I purchased Extendia AVK Pro, it is a very good AV but created a drag on my comp (AMD XP +2400) with 512 MB ram. The interface is very nice with good user configurability options and was light on ram. It was easy to install and set up and of course two very good engines but at a price. Apps, such as firefox was slow to open as well as other apps. There are tweaks to lessen the impact, it is up to the user.
    It is a very thorough AV.
    Tech support is horrible!!!
    I now use ArcaVir/MKS because it is much lighter and the Tech support is excellent.
    My back up scanner is the Extendia AVK single (KAV) engine. Purchased for $9.95
    I use the Pro (RAV only for RTM) on another box now for the kids.

13. hollywoodpc

Many thanks guys ! I have tried AVK 2005 on a P4 2.4 with 1024 ram . OMG . Will the computer EVER load everything up ? Tremendous drag . And my computer was clean !!! I have YET to hear back from them . 4 emails 3 days ago . Nothing . I liked the interface and the potential . But F-secure did the same thing . NOD is the deal . As good as those others looked , too much trouble . And if you want to update F-secure . HAHAHAHAHA . Forget it !!!! Takes forever !!!!! What happened to set and forget . I hear good things about these apps and they fall way short each time in one area or another . NOD is pain free with most ANY security application , other than another AV . Looks like eXtendia kinda stinks huh ? Identical to AVK but , as I said , AVK was really bad on my CLEAN system and support is non existent

14. Er, Panda....

... and I tested Panda extensively the past couple of weeks...

Very Strong detection, never missed one...I threw at it,

and very good heuristics.. The best I've seen yet...

15. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Well I just took the plunge, weaned myself off McAfee and installed GData AVK 2005, didn't mess with a trial, bought it direct from the German site - a quick & smooth transaction, download, install.

This little honey is slicker than snot, KAV plus Bitdefender, it don't get much better'n that - no noticeable slowdown surfing with both engines humming either, seems everything from startup to shutdown is even be a bit faster than McAfee 9.0 was, except for the on-demand scan which takes maybe 50% longer.

Only had it installed about 4 hours and already got 4 kav and 3 bd updates - wow, that's about the number of updates in a month from the big Mc.

Nice, so far, real nice. :D
    The following review is pretty accurate I'd say: :cool:
    http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussoftwarereviews/a/avk2005.htm

16. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Extendia KAV AVK single is a really nice choice for an on demand scanner . Has a great email scanner option. $10 A very Good compliment to any real time scanner especially the free ones giving affordable all round protection at a very low cost

17. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

the worst support on the whole www if you ask me...:(

18. Grumble

Hope I won't need any support then! Always hated to ask for directions anyway, you know, it's a macho thing. ;)

The help files seem quite good, easily accessible, and there is a separate PDF manual too. All in English. :D

19. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

extendia has no support generally speaking . However if you copy your purchase details above your email they are mostly quite fast. There is really no need for support for the KAV extendia single engine if its used as an on demand . It just flows along.

20. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I'm not get paid by F-Secure, but I think F-Secure is the only good working multi-scanner atm... Extendia and Gdata's AVK don't work nicly on my system... They hog even the fastest computers... And updates are not always so fast... With F-Secure you get sometimes 8 updates a day... And they're faster with updates for new threats then Kaspersky...
    I think it makes no sense to but two "slow" engines like Kaspersky and Bitdefender in one product... It's better to use Kaspersky as a base, and make light "add-on" scanners for things Kaspersky don't regonise and extented hereustics...

21. Firecat

Maybe F-Secure should also try another AV engine...Their CounterSign technology seems to be working perfectly, and it allows three or more engines to be put together...

22. hollywoodpc

Wow . AVK really slowed my startup . Other than that , it was ok but a slight slowdown . The test machine was a 2.4 1024 ram XP home . Takes some work to slow that down . 4 days now and STILL no reply to 3 emails . hmmmmmm

23. Grumble

Btw, I've noticed that the kav updates with GData AVK are hourly, and also that the scanner does not add streams.

24. hollywoodpc

Thank you very much . I have heard different opinions on Panda . Older ones were poor . Now , they seem to please alot of people

25. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Yes, but Panda doesn't get my vote yet... They're fluctuating to much with their results...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.