GData AVK 2005 questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chia, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chia

chia Registered Member

Greetings,

I just purchased a license for AVK 2005 a couple of days ago and just have a couple of questions.

1. What does "Protocol only" mean? One of the options it gives you if an infection is found during an on-demand scan is Protocol only. Also is there any way to choose to ignore an alert, I see it in the menu it gives you upon infection, but it's dimmed out and won't let you choose that option.

2. Any idea how much renewals cost. I know I just bought it but was curious and didn't see it on their website. I forgot to ask this in an email I sent them so thought i'd throw it in here.

After trialing numerous AV programs the last two weeks, I gotta say this one's a winner for ME. Plays great on my system, updates keep flowing in and when I emailed them with a few questions I had my answers the next day. Also like their antiviruslab site and the SecurityAgent is kinda cool even though I don't really use it. I"m lovin it.

2. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Protocol means "Log", essentially logging it to a file only.

What email did you get a reply? I've emailed Gdata dozens of times and never once got a reply. Kinda like DrWeb.. 20 emails, I got 1 reply, and it was in Russian..

I'm dubious of them now.

3. chia

chia Registered Member

So would "Protocol only" serve the same function as "ignore"? I'm still a little sketchy on this.

Also, the email I sent was to support-eng(at)gdata.de and got a response the next day from hotliner(at)gdata.de. Maybe I just got lucky.

4. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Correct, Protocol only will simply log, and ignore threats other than logging them.

5. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Yes, ignore and log in the Protocol section

6. chia

chia Registered Member

Ok, got it. Thanks for your replies :) .

7. Grumble

Grumble Registered Member

Chia, I believe "protcol only" would only generate a report. This additional info from the help file:

----
    In case of an infection
    This allows you to specify what should happen if an infected file is found. There are various options here that may or may not be suitable, depending on what you use your computer for. For users with a large amount of data stored on their computer, the option "Disinfect (if not possible: block access)" is a useful solution, as this stops the virus spreading but does not require any files to be deleted from the computer. The instant deletion of infected files will only appeal to a minority of users. Using the quarantine folder by selecting the "Disinfect (if not possible: in quarantine)" and "Put file in quarantine" functions has the advantage of storing the files safely in quarantine where they cannot inflict any further damage and you can decide what to do with the files later.
    ----

Also, in responding to a real-time alert trying to download eicar test file, I notice there is an option "Cancel" displayed with the alert, which would be the same as "Ignore".

hth

8. chia

chia Registered Member

Thanks Grumble. I never thought about hitting Cancel...doh :doubt: . Guess I just saw "Allow file access" shown but not able to be chosen as an option and got thrown off a bit.

9. chia

chia Registered Member

Just to update on my second question. I got an email response that renewal will cost 29.95 Euro. Hoping the dollar is a bit stronger in a years time. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.