GDATA almost 1000 samples today

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by wowwow, Dec 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wowwow

wowwow Guest

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

:rolleyes: 499 is not thousand?

3. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

GDATA doesn't add anything at all to the detection, they are mere selling a nice (depending on taste) GUI for Kaspersky and Bitdefender scan engines. So the Virus labs of either these two added the signatures.

I wonder why people even bother with GDATA, it's a cheap clone. Go for the original(s).

4. Happy Bytes

Happy Bytes Guest

Yup. :)

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I agree. Given the choice I would choose either KAV or BD.

But some people will think that the two databases together will, despite overlapping signatures, offer greater protection.

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

It's probably no surprise that i agree also, in fairness with BD you might have slightly better heuristics, but why go with a clone when you can have the original.:)

7. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

ROTFLMAO:p

8. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi All,

I know a lot of people say its a clone but the one thing with AVK is the new OutbreakSheild?

Has anyone had any experence to how effective it is. Apparantly if you download the white paper AVK checks files via Bitdefender and KAV engines and if clean check with some server that its not a new oubreak?

I claims that it can recognise a mass mailing or outbreak between 30 secs and 2 mins?

What puts me off this product reading Wilders is the lack of support people have received and its heavy (Will try the demo version myself)

Any coments on the OutbreakShield? Sounds like a good idea to me.

Cheers

Jlo

9. Sputnik

As far my intelligence go, the OutbreadShield is just BitDefender's HIVE...

10. jlo

jlo Registered Member

11. nicM

nicM nico-nico

Yep, Hive and Outbreakshield are totally different. But running Avk 2006 for 1-2 month, I didn't experience Outbreak' efficiency yet, as I only use webmails: it's only for people using Outlook, Thunderbird and the likes.

It runs heavy, far more than 2005 (and I don't know why, about the AVKCtl.exe), but the responsible is mostly the AVKproxy process, which can be disabled;I think I'm going to buy it for my main computer too, but using it without the proxy.

Maybe a clone, but it has its own interest and quality, for me :)

12. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thanks for the informative reply!

Cheers

Jlo

13. Sputnik

Also I can't imagine GDATA developping their own heuristics. For example it took NOD32 and BitDefender years to integrate and develop, and GDATA does it in a 2005 -> 2006 release? No way!

14. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

They didn't, they licensed it from http://www.commtouch.com/site/OEM/zero_hour.asp.:)

15. chia

chia Registered Member

Well GDATA finally sent me a link for the 2006 English version even though now it's finally up on their site to trial.

I started using the 2005 version back in March and had zero problems with it, no lag or drag, loved it. However I do not think I will be renewing. Whenever I had to email support I was always in contact with the same person who was always quick to respond and very helpful, however that person (apparently their only English speaking customer advisor) no longer works there. They said they are restructuring their whole customer service operation. Not sure how confident I am in that.

Also I guess the two scan engines became a novelty after awhile to me as well. I'm currently trialing KAV but will later install this 2006 version and see what they came up with.

16. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.