GDATA 2010 Beta

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by s4u, Feb 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Montecristo

Montecristo Registered Member

I'm away from my desktop until tomorrow night. I will test it out tomorrow and post back here on Sunday at the latest. I run GData on-demand only with real-time virus monitor disabled , so you and I may have variations in our results.

2. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Thanks Xandman

3. Montecristo

I tested out the GData icon and have had no problems so far. I enabled the antivirus monitor before I replicated what you did. I will continue to test it tomorrow, and let you know if the icon shuts down. So far, nothing.

4. Montecristo

Still have not seen a problem with the tray icon yet. If you are still experiencing difficuties, you might try re-installing GData. Its worth a try.
    Let me know if GData responds to you with anything interesting.

5. markcc

markcc Registered Member

G Data support in the usa is not very good. Still no response in a week! I may uninstall it.

6. UIS

UIS Registered Member

Hi Mark

You may have bought your product directly from G Data but I will try and help you as much as I can (I am the UK country partner) - Please send me a copy of your support emails and I'll look into it - Matt@ultimateinternetsecurity.com

Regards

Matt

7. Cloud_Shadow

Cloud_Shadow Registered Member

I was going to get a license of Gdata, cause the my testing really showed its detection and prevention is top notch.

I didn't do a full scan before, today i did one.
    Started the Scan at 6Pm, and it FINISHED AT 1AM, thats 7 freakin hrs. It did detect 20 malware, but it took so long. So uninstalled it, and just giving Avira a second chance.

P.S: I have a E2200 with 2GB ram, so that not a issue, comodo and Avira took around 1hr and 1.30hrs to scan.

Last edited: May 5, 2009
  8. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

What are some features of the firewall? Worth using the firewall with the AV or just the AV?

9. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

The firewall module is from Agnitum Outpost minus the HIPS.
    So yes, it a good firewall.

10. subset

subset Registered Member

Does Agnitum know about that, maybe someone should tell em. :cautious:
    As far as I know the firewall module is self-developed by G Data.

Cheers

11. Badcompany

Badcompany Registered Member

Anyone tested the firewall,Shields-Up says most ports are closed not Stealth.
    Badcompany.

12. LemonJelly

LemonJelly Registered Member

I downloaded a trial copy to see what it was like before rolling an test copy out over our LAN. the hourly update takes 100% CPU, no throttling evident. Logs in .txt format and always in "simple" format by default, would rather it remembered I selected advanced and also I wanted to know previous and new versions when it updated.

I've gone back to Avira for now. Still looking for a decent LAN based AV solution since Symantec got rid of CE 10.

13. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I think I remember GData listing Agnitum as a technical partner before. Maybe they used Agnitum in earlier modules.

EDIT:
    Just checked GDATA now doesn't list Agnitum. But now it includes Sunbelt.
    http://www.gdata.de/partner/technologiepartner.html

So maybe its SPF. (Since Sunbelt doesn't provide VIPRE engine, iHateSpam to Gdata. So logically it might just be SPF. Also no other partner listed has a standalone Firewall product/SDK available.)

14. Badcompany

This suite is running very nice on my Pc,User friendly GUI, Light, and no problems with the hourly updates.It comes with a shredder nice touch. Worth a look at.The new Firewall is from GData, but can't find much info on it.
    Badcompany.:thumb:

15. bensoncoug

bensoncoug Registered Member

I purchased and installed G-Data TotalCare 2010 yesterday. Everything installed fine, except that the G-Data Shredder didn't install. I completely uninstalled the application, per customer service directions, using the AVCleaner tool and reinstalled the app. The Shredder module doesn't even appear on the custom install list as the help file says it should. :mad:

Customer Service sent me a link to the ISO, which I downloaded, burned, and reinstalled. Same thing. Does anyone else have this problem with the current version on the website? I'm thinking that they accidentally built the installer without the Shredder on this version. Please help.

16. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Is this the same link? (254MB) What OS are you using?

17. bensoncoug

This is the link:
    http://mirror01.gdata.de/dl_users/qs/SECURITY2010/TC2010/ENG/GDTC2010ENG.ISO

I originally used the link on my purchase confirmation page. I then used the link off g-data.de. I then used the ISO link that customer service sent. All of them install the app just fine, but do not install the Shredder portion of the app. The choice is not even in the custom install screen during installation.

I am running Vista 64. AMD Quad-Corem, 4GB RAM. Currently, no other AV program installed, no other internet security apps installed.

Any thoughts?

18. bensoncoug

By the way, the link you listed is for file version 14.0.0.162, which is the same file version as the first two exe's that I downloaded.

Thank you for your help! :)

19. Badcompany

Hi bensoncoug,
    The shredder and parent control or not set by default,If you take the custom install you can add the shredder to the install.Hope this helps.
    Badcompany

20. bensoncoug

That is the problem that I am having. When I run a custom installation, the parental controls is listed as an option, but the Shredder is not even on the list to enable.

Thanks! :)

21. Badcompany

Hi bensoncoug,
    I've just noticed that you have GData TotalCare not Internet Security sorry.Have you tried installing Internet Security to see if you have the same problem.
    Badcompany.

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

This could be the reason (even though they apparently support 64bit).
    I'm not sure. Try emailing Matt, see post #106 above.

23. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

You are right - the Shredder doesn´t support 64-Bit OS, so it will not be listed even during custom installation.

24. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I have solved my problem with the tray icon shutting down. It was Outpost firewall. I uninstalled the program & it solved the problem, when I reinstalled OP the problem came back. I don't want to give up GDAV 2010 & I'm tired of trying to figure it out so I have installed a different firewall & all is well.

25. Badcompany

Why not use Internet Security 2010, The new firewall is very good, It passes the firewall tests from Shields-Up and the seven tests from Pc Flank.:thumb:
    Badcompany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.