GCHQ to offer British firms expertise in cybercrime

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Daveski17, Nov 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

The Guardian

"Ministers have looked at the US firm, In-Q-Tel, which is funded by the CIA to help government and industry. Set up 13 years ago, it is a not-for-profit venture that has provided technology to firms such as Google, and made millions of dollars for the US government."

Why doesn't this news inspire me with confidence?

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Because it is not very inspiring. No home-grown talent? I doubt it

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I think it is this that doesn't inspire my confidence in the government:

"The Cabinet Office insisted that GCHQ would not be opening a commercial arm. The minister for cyber security, Francis Maude, said: "The strategy heralds a new era of unprecedented co-operation between the government and industry on cyber security, working hand in hand to make the UK one of the most secure places in the world to do business."

This sounds like it is quite pragmatic with a fiscal practicality, however, I already worry about government ties with industry. Especially the Tories.

4. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Connections from the CIA, NSA, MI5, and GCHQ to corporations already exists. Many corporations are assets for spy agencies, helping to provide plausibility for activity, necessary data the companies maintain, access, jobs, etc. Many companies you make purchases from frequently most likely have assets in key positions within the structure already. Not much you or I can do about it, why worry.

The setting up of In-Q-Tel allows them to provide technical support for their existing assets and help each other to be successful for intel and financially. It's a natural progression from an already existing relationship.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.