G-Data AV 2011 question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cimmerian, Dec 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Installed a trial version of G-Data AV 2011, and so far I'm impressed with its performance, and ease of use. I know it's no big deal, but I noticed the Action Center in Win 7 doesn't recognize G-Data as having any anti-spyware capability.
    I found some mention of this in an old thread on a Windows 7 forum, with G-Data AV 2010 when Win 7 was still in its testing phase. I just told Action Center not to monitor Spyware, but was wondering if this is still happening for other users with the 2011 version.
    Forgive my ignorance, I'm just starting to really get into testing out different security software. Thanks much.

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Yes that is correct, the GData antyspyware feature is not recognized by Win7.

If you don't want to be bothered with security alerts that specific notification has to be turned off from the Action Center.

Don't forget to update the program version after the installation.

3. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening ! Cimmerian...are you using G-Data Internet Security 2011 or the A/V 2011. Because I believe Windows 7 recognizes the Anti-Spyware component with the suite. Your right regarding the A/V, Windows 7 strangely enough doesn't recognize it's Anti-Spyware component. G-Data has a new office in North Carolina...and their e-mail can be sourced through the G-Data International site under the U.S.A. Contact Tab. Ask for Ed Johnson he's the general manager and very helpful...he might be able to supply information in regards to the G-Data AV-2011 not being recognized by Windows 7. His e-mail address is ed.johnson (at) gdatasoftware dot com. Sincerely...Securon

4. Cimmerian

Thanks for the replies folks!

@ Macstorm- Program & definitions updated immediately after install, G-Data prompts you to do so. Action Center was told to be quiet...

@ Securon- I'm trialing the AV only. Kind of strange that the Suite fully integrates with Action Center, and the AV only doesn't...but thanks for the tip about the US office, I actually read a previous post of yours about it earlier.;)
    I shot a support ticket off to them about this, and I'll post back whatever their reply is, when and if I get one...I know this issue isn't a major thing, I'm just a bit curious.

5. Macstorm

A bit annoying issue if you ask me, considering it is been dragged from previous years.

I hope v.2012 can address this "behavior" ;)

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just installed GData AV 2011 on my oldest PC (Windows XP Pro) just to see how it would perform.

I had a strange error near the beginning of the installation. The error was something about a Runtime error somewhere under Documents and Settings. I assume it was in the temporary folder used for the installation. I closed the error and continued with the installation and GData AV 2011 seems to be fully functional. Has anyone else experience such an error during the installation?

Thanks in Advance.

7. Macstorm

You mention your oldest PC.

That runtime error may be related to the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable app, which GData installs automatically on your PC if it is not already present.

8. TheKid7

The PC was built in January 2003 and currently has Windows XP Pro SP3 32 bit (clean install).

I do remember seeing "C++" as part of the error message.

I did a scan (report only) of my System Partition which took longer than expected (~1 hour, 40 minutes). Later I started a completed scan (C: + E: Partitions) and left the PC and when I returned I found that the PC had restarted. When I logged in, I found a Microsoft error message about recovery from a serious error. I had the same thing happen to me a couple of weeks ago on the same PC when I did a Full Scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit. What could cause this type of serious error and PC restart?

Thanks in Advance.

9. Ford Prefect

Ford Prefect Registered Member

G Data doesn't register as dedicated spyware protection to the MS ActionCenter, but of course it offers protection against spyware. That's no bug and it also doesn't matter whether you are using AV or one of the suites.

When you install G Data, it also doesn't disable Windows Defender.

Regards,
    Ford

10. Cimmerian

Ford, I realize this, at least for the AV only version. As a matter of fact, I received a reply from G-Data support about this. I can't post the email, as it's against the TOS of the forum, but they said the reason G-Data doesn't show as antispyware is because it's not a dedicated antispyware solution.

That being said, this is the only AV program I've come across to date that hasn't reported as providing Spyware functionality in Action Center.

11. Securon

Good Morning ! Cimmerian...as accomplished as G-Data is in it's Anti-Virus mode...the spyware function should most definitely be included if not now most assuredly in future releases. As such I am now using Avira Premium. As a footnote did you contact the American affiliate support line ? In regard to The Terms Of Service... why are they reluctant in providing clarity and disclosure.By the way you mentioned a Forum...other than a Forum on the German website, I wasn't aware that G-Data had a English speaking Forum. I do know Ultimate Internet Security their U.K. reseller had one...but it was discontinued over a year ago. Anyhow...as mentioned it's still an excellent product...but it should have the Anti-Spyware...Malware integrated with it's Anti-Virus component. Sincerely...Securon

Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  12. Cimmerian

Hi Securon...yes, I submitted the ticket through the G-Data USA website. I don't think that they were being reluctant in providing an answer, I think they just reiterated the fact that G-Data is not a standalone antispyware program, which we all know anyway. They do acknowledge providing some basic protection, which we also are all aware of.
    The forum I referenced was Wilders, and TOS is short for "terms of service". I don't think we're allowed to post emails received from software companies, as that would be against Wilders rules.

13. Securon

Good Morning ! Cimmerian...apologies I obviously wasn't aware that you were referring to Wilders policies. I am aware of G-Data's lack of a proper Anti-Spyware component but as you mentioned I'm sure a lot of consumers are aware but on the other hand many aren't...many thanks for the clarification. Sincerely...Securon

14. Cimmerian

Macstorm, I agree, it is a bit annoying, but really no more than that...

As far as being addressed, I take it from their reply that this is a non-issue for them, so we'll probably just have to live with it...

@ Securon...no thanks needed!

15. Macstorm

Too bad :cautious:

Sounds like either a RAM issue or a conflict with another program. How much memory have you got on your old system?

16. TheKid7

1 GB (2 X 512 MB)

17. Macstorm

Not bad for XP, you are on the limit though (at least with GData installed..)

I remember years ago I saw something similar with v.2005 installed on my old rig P4 XP 256mb, at that time the upgrade to 512mb did the trick.

Is GData the only security program running on your old system?

18. TheKid7

GData is the only "active" anti-virus security program. The rest is in my sig (minus NOD32) for the PC in question.

19. Macstorm

Could you please check if a log was generated for the 'complete' scan?

20. TheKid7

The scan log doesn't show much at all. The Status is shown as "Running".

Log:

Virus check withG Data AntiVirus 2011
    Version 21.1.1.0 (9/22/2010)
    Virus signature dated
    Start time: 12/19/2010 4:32:27 PM
    Engine(s): Engine A, Engine B
    Heuristics: On
    Archive: On
    System areas: On
    Check rootkits: On

Check system areas...
    Check for rootkits...
    Check all local hard disks...

21. Macstorm

Then the scan did not finish for some reason..

Sorry, at this point any guessing would be pure speculation. If you are really interested on find out what the cause could be, I'd suggest to re-run the scan and see at what point it is stopped (perhaps a system file). Just then you could discount the RAM factor as the cause of the issue.

22. Ford Prefect

Hi,
    your system blue screened.
    If you are running xp default settings for startup and recovery, you probably will find some .dmp files in c:\windows\minidump.

Send a short problem description and the latest dump files to gdata@rokop.de for analysis.
    This is a G Data contact for a German security board.

Kind regards,
    Ford

23. TheKid7

Thanks for the information.

I just uploaded the Minidump file to GData's Tech Support site for analysis. The E-Mail address: gdata[AT]rokop.de did not work.

24. Ford Prefect

Sorry - I made a mistake.
    The contact nick in the forum is GDATA@rokop.
    The email address is rokop[AT]gdata.de.
    You should send the dump to this address - probably this works faster than the support :)

cu,
    Ford

25. TheKid7

I got an answer back on the Windows XP Minidump analysis:
    That makes sense since I had a similar crash with Emsisoft Emergencey Kit. Any ideas on where to go from here?

I know, the PC is so old that I should get rid of it (8 years old in January).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.