g data and email

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by beth1949, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beth1949

beth1949 Registered Member

I am currently using a trial version of g data 2010 internet security. I like this program very much and will most likely be buying at the end of the trial. I have a question about email scanning and am hoping someone here might be able to help me out. I use outlook express for email and have mailwasher for my antispam. I did not install the antispam part of g data. My isp uses ports 995 and 465 for email and I have my outlook express and mailwasher configured for these ports. In g data if I change the email ports to 995 and 465, I get a popup that says g data cannot scan these ports, but will monitor them anyway if I want. I can leave port 995 for g data to monitor, but if I don't change port 465 back to port 25, I cannot send email. Now that you know all the details, can someone help me figure this out? Is my email account protected at least for incoming emails? There are definately no g data messages attached to the emails - ie "this email scanned by g data" like with other security software. Also does anyone know if g data takes care of tracking cookies? Thanks so much for any help you can give.

2. markcc

markcc Registered Member

Hello Beth

My ISP also requires ports 995 & 465. It uses a secure SSL conection. G Data will not scan the e-mail using the secure SSL conection via Outlook Express. It does not really matter because the Monitor part of G Data will catch the virus if one comes in. You are protected with one of the best A/V programs out there.

I use GData A/V so I have some experience with this program. I will try to answer any question you have.

3. beth1949

Thanks for the reply. I rather suspected that this was the case, but wanted to be sure. Did you change the port settings in g data or did you just leave them alone? Changing the settings to port 995 from 110 says it will not scan but will monitor (whatever that means). Changing to 465 from 25 says the same thing, but if you don't leave it in 25, you can't send mail. Not sure why this is the case. Also do you know the answer about the tracking cookies?

4. markcc

markcc Registered Member

I just left the default settings in the e-mail scan. I'm confident the monitor will do it's job. I have not seen anything about tracking cookies in the program. I use firefox & can control the cookies with plug-ins available from the webiste.

5. beth1949

ok - thanks. I tried Blink before trying g data and it didn't get rid of tracking cookies either so I just cleaned them up with ccleaner. Anyway I am a little disappointed about the email, but there are so many other things about this program that I do like. I have recently tried out a lot of security suites and I think this is the one!

6. markcc

markcc Registered Member

If I use Outlook (Not Outlook Express) GData will scan my e-mail. It has a plug-in for Outlook. I don't understand what difference that makes but it does.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.