Future Changes to Prevx

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Triple Helix, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

i want prevx to bring the traffic-lights back in their gui and tray icon.

a possibilty? :p

2. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Me and Trjam pestered for this when P3 first came out as Edge without success and I still prefer them by far. So much more noticeable as well.

3. PC__Gamer

you think they will listen and bring em back?

they just gave off a more friendly, more safe kinda feel from those little blobs. :D

not all things from the past should come back though:

1.png

2.png

however, maybe we should get a petition going to get that little green blob back, especially for the tray icon. :)

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

:D Ah, a blast from the past :)

Our primary reason for moving away from the orb tray icon is that we want to move away from connections to P2. P3 is a significantly different world from P2 and leaving the tray icon the same would produce quite a lot of confusion. We've also removed the "amber" middle state and are now working on black/white (red/green :)) states so the "traffic light" concept wouldn't work well now.

However, Prevx 4.0 is under development and while we aren't explicitly planning changes to reincorporate the orbs, we have had a handful of users request it so we'll definitely consider it if we can make it fit within the overall scope of Prevx 4.0.

5. PC__Gamer

i see no reason to use some of its 'charm' to the newer products. ;)

6. 800ster

800ster Registered Member

I think I'm reading this right from looking at the help on the current Heuristic Settings configuration screen. If "Apply before Age/Popularity detection" (default) is selected then the bottom 2 Age/Popularity sliders are ignored and so would it be clearer to have them greyed out in that instance?

7. PrevxHelp

They aren't ignored, but just lessened in the way in which they are applied. We clarify this a bit better on our help page at:

http://info.prevx.com/edgehelp.asp

(If you click Settings > Heuristics Settings, this should help shed some light on it :))

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I would like the option to be able to backup and restore the list of SafeOnline security configuration settings.

9. JCRUYFF

JCRUYFF Registered Member

Can Someone tell me the most recent stable version of prevx because i have the Prevx 3.0.5.50 version installed in my computer

thanks.

10. guest

guest Guest

'Stable' is a bit misleading here because those recent versions
    are ALL sort of 'release candidate' or some say 'beta'. :D

But if pushing the 'check for updates' button doesn't
    bring up an update you have the recent one that is
    offered via their homepage. - I am to lazy to check
    this out for you. But you probably know what I am
    talking about. :D

For a real 'stable' version that works without bugs I guess
    we have to wait another few builds / weeks of be .. pardon .. rc testing
    :cool:

11. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

@MatDe, if you had any real experience of software development and deployment then you'd know that you can test and test and test against every possible user type/usage case, think you've ironed-out all the bugs, deploy, then find there are more bugs. This is new software - expect more bugs to be revealed as the user base grows. Stop moaning.

12. guest

guest Guest

This clearly isn't the case here with that SafeOnline story. I am testing this from the beginning (and I am exactly doing THAT and not only writing 'works great' as many others who think it's great if there is a lack of BSOD never testing things ;) ) and I always told them very openly that this software - given the bug experience I had with it - wasn't (and isn't!) ready to release. In fact I told them how I was shocked to see that version going live in end of october!

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1564457&postcount=14

I was just making fun here of naming this version for many months and countless builds 'release candidate' instead of beta. That is my opinion based on my test experience with every build so far I came across since SafeOnline was introduced.

And I knew from start how difficult it would be to make this SafeOnline features compatible with those thousands of programs that are out there. And more important - I am confident that Prevx will get this gargantuan task done some day soon!

But you have to forgive me: 'stable' really is the wrong word for the 'live' version (the so called non-beta which is of course a beta too). And that was my point I had not made if this all were about BETA software or even RC. But they decided - I guess because of marketing or financial reasons - to risk this and go public with that 'official' version long ago and I stay with my opinion: that was unfortunately way to early and the wrong decision.

The thing is ... people that buy SafeOnline experience those bugs and are maybe pushed away from that don't you think? Which all could have been avoided with a little more patience (not releasing this months before it was ready to). :(

This is normal of course. As a beta tester of many softwares I know that perfectly well. - And what I experienced with all those Prevx builds since months is also normal. For BETA versions! - But it's *NOT* or should be not for official ones, please test it for yourself!

Please stop telling me what to do. :rolleyes: I don't know how many bugs YOU have discovered or if you helped at ALL ironing them out as I did MANY times spending hours of my time with it?

And yes, I am NOT a 'fanboy' covering things up and barking the competition away ;) but a customer (currently on free licenses though - thx to prevx :) ) that actually *helps* to better the product. Being critic at times is part of that too and if this is not allowed anymore I am done here wasting my time. ;)

@ JCRUYFF:

I answered your question. Thanks for asking again in a new thread. :rolleyes:

p.s.: What I mainly tried to tell you in maybe a weird (supposed-to-be-funny) way was:
    You could use IMO pretty well the actual beta versions also since they aren't
    much more unstable than the 'stable' version and supposed to be fixing detected bugs. ;)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  13. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

The purpose of beta & RC versions is to try to iron out as many bugs as possible, but you will not iron out all the bugs for all users. That doesn't mean it shouldn't become the stable version. Perhaps your experience has been particularly bad - sometimes that happens and I have had it happen myself with software development I have done. Personally, I have 3 licenses and use Safeonline on 3 different computers - XP, Win7 32bit and Win764bit. I have had no issues whatsoever. So for me these releases are stable and work without bugs. Perhaps you need to look at the wider situation before asserting the software is still beta quality.

14. fax

fax Registered Member

:thumb: Indeed, it works perfectly fine here too.

15. PrevxHelp

Scoobs72 is exactly right - with all due respect guest, we have far more than one million SafeOnline users and virtually all of them are running problem free. I know that you have run into a few issues in the past with SafeOnline, but most of these were caused by Fritz!Protect, which has a bugged DLL injected into processes, causing them to crash. Outside of those issues, most of your complaints were due to screen protection, but that was because of being set into compatibility mode by configuring it down to High which is intentional... so outside of these, I haven't really seen any issues :doubt:

If you are aware of any issues that currently exist that are significant enough to prevent the next version of SafeOnline from going out to our users, please let me know and I'll gladly investigate them as closely as possible to see if we can fix the problems :)

We try and ensure that our software will work on every one of the billions upon billions of different software/hardware configurations out in the world but this is not an easy task, although we have never had to issue a refund because of an incompatibility we weren't able to fix - we've corrected every compatibility issue that we've come across :)

16. guest

guest Guest

This is only an empty phrase as you have sadly proved you have NO respect at all for me.

HAHAHA!! :argh: (this is called virtual reality I guess)

And you know that HOW? Many things I discovered - besides the ones that provoked crashes in early betas - are NOT obvious if you don't test them. To say - in other words - that SafeOnline works (!) just because it is installed on one million systems which owners don't complain to you does say *NOTHING* at all!

Of course I start from which what I see on MY system and on others I get hands on. - And what I see there regarding SafeOnline since months (!) was first alpha (in 2009) and is now for a while beta and maybe in a few weeks and after some more builds close to RC but for sure NOT to final yet!?

FYI: Since I have Win 7 installed I don't use Fritz!Protect anymore.
    And that's only because YOU said Prevx has a problem with it!!!

-> No, those bugs I lately discovered were all bugs of Prevx and nothing else!

WTF?! - That isn't true and you know it! Why are you lying openly to me when I can proof you wrong just pointing to many postings I made including screenshots?!?

Truth is (hardcore fanboys please grab a tissue):

Your software had a simple bug which I discovered (and you embarrassingly failed to reproduce on your own! *LOL*) and showed you via remote control. If you really have trouble remembering: Prevx SO slider set back from high to maximum again didn't raise security to maximum again (somehow in registry), no it stayed on high (but stating maximum in GUI!) and THAT was the reason for all those (non) black screen issues I posted so much about and which no one else even noticed (here on wilders - that I know of)!

-> Bug of Prevx. Reproduced on many systems of my relatives and my own.
    So it had NOTHING to do with my 'configuration' or being 'intentional' of Prevx!

And even worse you tried now again as already before to disguise this bug as you strangely didn't put it in the change log but repaired it 'silently' in the next build after our remote session! :thumbd:

And frankly I come every week across another bug so to speak (of course this is a little bit exaggerated!): The last one is that my credentials are NOT protected as they should be. Whatever the reason is -> SafeOnline works right now - and since many weeks - *NOT* as advertised. - Maybe on million other system (though I really doubt that!)- But not on my system, fact!

WTH? Isn't that enough?!?

Screen grabbing protection was broken for many weeks (the slider thing you wanted desperately to cover up) and credentials are not safe right now. And you want to tell me that this is/was only on MY system and on million others works fine? :argh:

Hahaha ... sorry .. just fell from my chair. ;)

Yeaaah riiiight ... and I probably just dreamt that many people had problems with Youtube or couldn't print from their browsers ... hmm .. was that before or after the official release? :rolleyes:

But if you really choose to believe that your product is now finally ready to hit the market just release it already!!! - But wait! *LOL* Clearly there must be a reason that all those people who have the old Edge version running are not automatically upgraded and are probably not going to very soon. Right. ;)

@ PrevxHelp - I am not interested anymore in helping your company finding those countless bugs / incompatibleness as uninstalling Prevx cures them all for me! In case you wonder why this ends this way: that is because if someone is lying to me I am DONE with him and whatever he is selling. (Yes, I bought SO-Upgrade, so that was not free!). Fair enough I hope? Trust -> gone. Congratulations. :p

But anyway good luck to you and with SO - you will need it! :D - and do not wonder why no one is reporting false positives by email anymore. - Hint: it's NOT because there aren't any. No, a certain 'world's largest realtime threat database' is probably full of them. That's at least my experience, but luckily for you I am just only one of millions and can be neglected. ;)

17. PrevxHelp

Not true at all - you have been very valuable in your testing with Prevx and I'm sorry you took this the wrong way.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong. Feel free to uninstall your existing copy and download the current live version from http://info.prevx.com/downloadcsi.asp and install it - you will notice that I did not change anything within the build on your PC - it was merely me making the configuration change I asked you to try before :doubt: As I explained, changing Prevx into "High" configuration enables compatibility mode, which prevents issues from occurring on some printers and allows screenshots to take place. This is not a bug and is a feature.

This, however, is a bug and we're working on correcting it but it looks like this is due to the German keyboard layout producing different data - I replied to your post asking for further clarification and haven't heard back yet.

To reiterate - no, it was not broken. Yes, it was your system due to the configuration change you made. Please go ahead and try retesting this - you'll see that I obviously am not lying :)

These were isolated cases - sure, there were a handful of them when we released the test version of SafeOnline supporting x64, but you'll notice that on the purchase pages of Prevx: http://www.prevx.com/buynow.asp that we currently still do not officially support x64 within SafeOnline publicly - we're waiting for this next release.

The v3.0.5.x version of Prevx installs two new drivers, removes a previous driver, installs a DLL, modifies a number of other system areas, restructures the Prevx local database, and replaces the core program files. We have upwards of 7 million users still happily using v3.0.1.65 for the last 10 months and we don't want to rush anything out to them. We are, however, planning on making this release in the near future.

Again, I implore you to PLEASE check your facts and you will see instantly that the issue you think is there does not exist, as I have said many times :doubt:

I'm really unsure where all of the animosity comes from between you and SafeOnline but I am sorry that you have this feeling towards it.

18. Aragorn7

Aragorn7 Registered Member

Frankly, I love Prevx 3.0 with Safe-On-Line. I love the small package and the speed with which it scans. While I appreciate some of the suggestions for the next release, I want nothing added that increases the Prevx footprint/overhead. This, along with the cloud-based technology, is one of my chief selling points. If you add everything everyone wants to add, I'm afraid you will lose this feature. That's why the typical internet security suites are so cumbersome. I have no desire to go back to Prevx 2.0.

Prevx Safe-On-Line: On some of my clients' PCs I do have to show them how to lower the security bar on certain sites in which they either cannot login or enter data or for some reason the site may not display properly. When I show them how to do this, they don't seem to think it is a problem.

For me, a simple but great improvement would be to simply provide the user manual in a PDF format. It would be searchable and far less cumbersome than the current on-line manuals. This might, for example, just make it easier for a customer to know how to report a false positve to Prevx. I recently read a positive user review on Prevx with the lone criticism that there was no way to report a false positive. Of course, this is not correct and a searchable PDF manual might have avoided this reviewer's mistake.

Thanks for a great product.

19. PrevxHelp

We agree - and our primary goal is to keep Prevx as small, light, and unobtrusive as possible. To give you some context on the improvements we're making: we never see Prevx 3.0 breaking the one megabyte barrier :)

Definitely a good point - I will see what we can do to make a combined SafeOnline + Prevx 3.0 PDF for downloadable help.

Thank you for your support! :)

20. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

As we now have SafeOnline providing secure comunication with banks and the like would it be possible in future versions to allow SafeOnline to also manage the passwords so we can log in automatically. These could be encrypted and hidden behind a master password. Obviously the master password must be entered once in any browser session to provide access.

I suspect SafeOnline only stores a hash of the data it protects at the moment so this would need to be changed (its a one way function).

I know you can get various plugins and software to do this, but it would be cool to have it combined with the security that something like SafeOnline offers.

Of course it will all have to be coded in very few kilobytes -- a challenge for someone. :D

Just an idea.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  21. PrevxHelp

:) Definitely a good idea - in the meantime, you could use a product like Roboform to fill in the details, but it would be much more elegant to include it all within SafeOnline directly.

We'll try and find some way to squeeze it in there, or make it a separate download :D

22. PC__Gamer

i want prevx to show more information on why a file is flagged as malware, to give the users 'me included' more information on deciding what to do with it.

a few different colours of infections would be helpful too, to show the severity differences of the detected files.

I want the 'no more changes are allowed on this license' or whatever it says to be fixed, especially when its the same computer-name.

and i want SafeOnline to improve its bad-website detection & its IP blocking/filtering improved.

and of course, the green blob back too. :D

23. PrevxHelp

The next time you receive a detected file within the scan results, try double clicking on the entry - it should open up a web page with much more information on the file :)

We should be delineating between High Risk/Medium Risk/Low Risk within the status screen - it probably isn't quite as clear as colors, but they are all malware regardless of the risk level and integrating the red/yellow/green again would likely introduce confusion as we try and only show the malicious files.

We're still going to be adding a new system to improve this, especially when reformatting PCs - fear not, it is high on our priority list because of the volume of license change requests we receive :)

I agree, and we're constantly working on new ways to protect against malicious websites (although, in our defense, they are honestly harder to detect than malware).

:D :D

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

After Prevx crashed trying to update to the latest version, I was forced to uninstall and reinstall Prevx again. This sort of thing can happen once in a while and, in itself, is no big deal because Prevx is so quick and easy to install.

I did lose all of my SafeOnline configuration settings though, which was a nuisance. As previously requested, it would be very useful if there was an import/export feature to allow SafeOnline security configuration settings to be backed up and restored in case of having to reinstall Prevx. It is inconvenient to have to recreate all of the custom website settings manually each time Prevx is reinstalled.

25. Phantasm

Phantasm Registered Member

I would like Prevx to have a Behavioural thing to it, example like [SONAR] or F-Secures Deep Guard or ThreatFire etc etc.. Because once you install something malicious on your PC that is not recognized by Prevx your Fu****

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.