Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. harisankar98

harisankar98 Registered Member

Hi..
    Earlier, I have messaged saying that NOD32 2.7 is not able to automatically find viruses in CD/DVD like AVG and other antiviruses.... I hope it will be fixed in the version 3.0

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Well, with AMON enabled I don't know how I'm supposed to access even EICAR on a CD...
    Screenshot - 13_10_2007 , 2_06_38 AM.png

If anybody else wants to try, rename View attachment eicar.txt to eicar.rar and extract the ISO.

Cheers :)

3. SamSpade

SamSpade Registered Member

I would strongly urge that instead of trying to complicate the AV protection of NOD32 by adding a firewall, etc., that ESET concentrate on providing the very BEST protection against viruses, and the ability to clean them from one's system.

To me, an AV should be the *best* AV it can be. If I want a firewall or a HIPS or whatever, I know where to find them. A top notch impenetrable antivirus is necessary, and it should be the best, bar none.

Hearing about a recent virus (Virut.NAM) which got in under the radar illustrates how vital it is to have a deadly efficient antivirus, one that gets *all* the nasties, not just "most" of them.

I look forward to using nod32 because of its superlative efficiency and its light footprint, the two reasons I bought it in the first place. If these two strengths are compromised by putting ESET's resources into developing other bells and whistles (firewalls, etc.) then nod32 will have lost its appeal.

|||

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

One post removed.

Multiple posts scattered throughout the site on the same subject are not permitted.

Blackspear.

5. DennisTh

DennisTh Registered Member

I'm a recent convert from Trend. I evaluated several AV solutions with Kaspersky and NOD32 receiving in detail evaluations. One of the pluses Kaspersky had over NOC32 was the central management console. I found it to be much easier to navigate. Some of the NOD32 management functions take quite a while to find.

I realize that once one becomes familiar with an interface it loses its mystery and movement becomes easy. The Kaspersky interface (in general) is miuch easier to get to that comfort zone.

So my suggestion is a simple one ;) Revamp the management console to a menu on the left and details for the selected menu item on the right. Break down the menu structure the way it is done on the Kaspersky interface. IE:
    Management Server 1
    --Client Groups
    ----Clients 1
    ------Tasks
    ------Logs
    --------Event Log
    --------Alert Log
    ----Clients 2
    ----Logs
    ------Events
    ------Alerts

Keep in mind that I installed NOD32 for the first time this week so I'm still a newb and I haven't gone through this entire thread yet.

6. rotulos1

rotulos1 Registered Member

1.- NOD32 3.0 should have an option in the real-time system protection to optionally not show the "leave" button when a warning is shown due to infected files. Just clean or delete.

2.- Add an option to NOD32 3.0 real-time system protection to just block access and optionally clean/delete the infected files without prompting for any action like KAV. Optionally show a warning.

3.- I think NOD32 3.0 should bring back the way actions could be selected in the AMON Security tab to be offered in the warning window upon alert, including the leave option:
    2007-10-21_230149.jpg

4.- Bring back the AMON Actions tab too:
    2007-10-21_225546.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2007
  7. dfrailey

dfrailey Registered Member

I've been pretty happy with Nod32, but I'm surprised (and disapointed) on this one. I don't think I should have to disable Amon, or add to an exception list, if I need to access a file on "my" system that Amon happens to have a problem with (the rest of my family is another story ).

IMHO there needs to be a configurable setting (which can default to disabled) that enables an "Ignore" option on the Amon threat detected dialog (i.e. "It's OK, I understand what you're saying, but I still need to access my file").

In this particular case it's Nirsoft's Produkey utility that's all of the sudden tripping a warning during a replication operation.

Regards,

David G. Frailey, MCSE
    Williamstown, WV

8. ASpace

ASpace Guest

With the upcoming version 3 if a threat is detected as "Probably unknown heur PE virus" one can choose "Leave" and ignore the warning . This is advanced heuristics detection . You can also use Exclusions for file you "trust" .

NOD32 rarely generates false positive alarms which means rarely finds ... let's say "clean file" as threats . Everything else that is detected is real security threat and you'd better leave NOD32 take action against it . Otherwise , you risk your machine's safety. :)

9. Blackspear

Hi gideonsband, welcome to Wilders.

I have split your post off into it's own thread HERE

Cheers :D

10. vangeliz

vangeliz Registered Member

Pre allocate disk space for update files

One thing that would be beneficial to have in NOD32 allocate a few MBs of unused disk space after installation to make sure the updates can be applied even when the user has filled his/hers C drive. As it is now, it looks like NOD will simply fail when the disk is full and remain dysfunctional till disk space is made available.

Regards,
    Thomas

11. ultragunnerdcl

ultragunnerdcl Registered Member

How about improved spyware protection?
    Will the new version 3.0 final offer better spyware protection. I still use counterspy with my nod32.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2007
  12. jvenezia

jvenezia Registered Member

I'd just like the program to [GLOW="red"]work[/GLOW]. It consistently misses malware (such as backdoor Trojans) that other software, like XoftSpy and Panda ActiveScan routinely identify and kill. In fact, in the year or so that I've owned NOD32, I don't believe it's found and killed more than a couple of malicious files. And yes, I've set it up properly. I max out the options, including turning on heuristics.

So come on, ESET, let's see a much better product come our way.

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You seem to be infected on a daily basis. I suggest you to learn safe computing instead of changing AVs. No AV is going to protect you if you keep on getting malware at each Internet corner.

14. nodyforever

nodyforever Registered Member

1 - To integrate the line of command inside the EAV and ESS like option of scan for easier access

2 - Bootscan as option (it demands restarting of the pc)

3 - compilation in European Portuguese (At present it is translated only in the Brazilian Portuguese)

15. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

This seems to be the only suggestions thread at the moment.

For v3 a language update suggestion for the English version.

It would seem better to say [ xx threats detected / xx cleaned ] since not all threats are 'infections'
    Screenshot - 9_11_2007 , 7_11_15 AM.png
    Cheers :)

16. tomm174

tomm174 Registered Member

I'm re-posting this here from here, since it appears that suggestions have to be in this thread.

This would be beneficial to anyone who ever needs to increase the number of users on a licence.

As a reseller I often get the situation where a new NOD user realises how much better ESET is than their existing Anti-Virus & wants to licence it for more PC's.
    Naturally when this happens I upgrade their licence - which then results in the existing Username/Password being invalidated, and new ones issued - which means that at least one and usually several PCs have to have their licence details changed.

I would like to ask the ESET developers to set aside the very small amount of developer effort to make a licence upgrade use the same username/password as the original. It must be a very minor change - just a modification to the user count in the database.

17. eddiewood

eddiewood Registered Member

NOD32 v3

When the web (and email) protection is set to disabled, it stays disabled after a re-boot.

If I wanted a web proxy, I would have bought one :)

Please give control back to the user.

Ed.

18. DennisTh

DennisTh Registered Member

o_O You want NOD32 to make arbitrary changes to settings you made? If it were to turn the protection back on we would consider that to be a bug.

19. jverbosk

jverbosk Registered Member

I've got the server side for 3.0 setup and am currently testing 3.0 on several computers (desktops and laptops). I'm planning on moving 300+ clients from 2.7 -> 3.0, but found several unanticipated changes from 2.7 that I would appreciate the ability to toggle on/off in 3.0:

1) Add an option to the NOD32 3.0 client config file to require a password for uninstalling ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 3.0 from a workstation (per Eset tech support - currently able to do this if user is a local admin - I understand the rationale, but due to compatibility with some apps I have to allow users to run as local admins - if this could be toggled on/off that would be great).

2) Add an option to the NOD32 3.0 client config file to require a password for switching between Standard -> Advanced views on a workstation (many other settings are password protected, being able to toggle this on/off would also be great).

3) Add an option to do a complete uninstall when uninstalling ESET NOD32 AntiVirus 3.0 (i.e. no ESET folders left in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data, C:\Program Files - sometimes removed, sometimes not, etc - there are other config files or reg keys apparently being saved after an uninstall but I haven't taken the time to track them all down), the same way NOD32 2.7 did a complete uninstall by default. Being able to toggle this on/off would be great. If this isn't an option, maybe off a "complete uninstall" option in the admin console (or a script)?

These would make my life as an admin a bit easier. Otherwise, thanks for a great AV! Took a while to convince management to switch from Symantec, but my company's systems have been running much more smoothly (and less sluggishly) ever since. :D

Thanks!

John

20. Blackspear

New Products.... New Forums.... New Future Changes Threads in each Forum.

Thread CLOSED.

Blackspear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.