Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

2. drewbles

drewbles Registered Member

I started reading all the posts but there is just too many of them so sorry if this has already been posted.
    Coming from a corporate user of NOD32, I think there should be an easy way to accommodate for mobile users. So when a laptop connects to a LAN it should search it for a local Mirror instead of using a static Mirror that could be in a far far away (physical) location.
    Maybe a dynamic list of servers (other then the internet) that NOD can search through to receive updates from.

That's my thoughts.

3. Shadowman

Shadowman Registered Member

I know it's been said before, but I think if more people request it, it may seem more important.

I would like to have an option to display some kind of notification, dialogue or whatever when a scheduled automatic scan is running. Also I would like the option to cancel a scheduled scan once it starts (without the need to reboot or kill a process.)

This should be an option that can be enabled or disabled so system administrators, etc., can prevent users from cancelling scans if necessary. But for people like me who use NOD32 at home, it would be helpful to have this option. The notification could similarly be enabled/disabled as desired.

Thanks

4. nomarjr3

nomarjr3 Registered Member

The only major drawback, in my opinion, is NOD32's advanced interface. It would be better if the new versions had a more user-friendly interface for novice computer users. People find it quite hard to understand and analyze the necessary procedures just to make NOD32 work the way they want it to work. And most computer users nowadays are novices; that is why they prefer to use AVG or Kaspersky. But then again, that is my opinion. Also, ESET has a low profile marketing scheme. That's ESETs own issue, by the way. Anyway, good luck for future endeavors.

5. KevinN206

KevinN206 Registered Member

I don't know if this is already requested or not or will be available in the coming ESS, but here's one feature I would love to have.

Custom Notification when a threat appears.
    The current version of NOD32 v2.70.39 allows notification via SMTP ("Send notifications via SMTP") and LAN ("Send warnings to a LAN computer"). SMTP would work, but it's not very useful for my purpose and by LAN does NOT work on Windows Vista. This is because Vista doesn't have the "Windows Messenger" service anymore. And Windows XP SP2 disables the exploitable service by default (although having a firewall and enabling the service should be safe - but it's more like a bandage really).

Why would I want a custom notification?
    I want to create a custom instruction to the user that encounters a threat what he/she should do (i.e. mostly to my family and relatives since I recommended NOD32 to them).

How should it display?
    The custom message could be integrated into the same dialog when a threat occurs. The message should be easily readable.
    It could be displayed BEFORE or AFTER the threat dialog.
    It could be displayed side-by-side with separate control buttons.
    etc...

6. Revenant

Revenant Registered Member

1. I second that for Thunderbird support a tool bar or button in the GUI, Thunderbird supports Plug-ins so that should be a snap for someone that can code.

2. As far as the GUI looking better just make NOD32 skinnable - Problem solved....

My $.02 :)

7. kang0o

kang0o Registered Member

I would like a .exe file in the nod32 folder that with one click compiles, downloads the latest definitions and turns it to a bootable iso cd image, or straight to the blank media if already in the burner. Maybe even the option to 'burn nod32 boot cd' from the main gui window.
    I know you can add definitions to bcd bootable discs but it isn't very easy to do. I think this would be invaluable to have.

8. PhilThompson

PhilThompson Registered Member

Please oh please don't make it skinable. Giving the problem to someone else does not solve the problem (generally). Just use standard windows controls and spend some time on the layout and wording that is all that's needed.

If all your Windows apps use standard controls then it's easier to skin Windows and all your apps change as well. Besides I've yet to see a program that benefitted from skinning. Perhaps Winamp was the only one but that's another story.

9. Thanasis159

Thanasis159 Registered Member

As for the skinable thing, if the new version of nod will look like the Eset Smart Security i will have no complaints at all!!!

10. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Username/password fields cleanup.... I apologize if someone already suggested this and I haven't seen it...

It just came to me - the biggest problem we face on a daily basis are users with username/password issues - we built our u/p speller to help, and when we began including a link to it in our welcome email, it cut our support calls a ton - but problems persist (people just don't read emails).

So - I propose that eset include u/p cleanup in the program - such that:

a. leading trailing tabs/spaces are removed from both fields
    b. username is forced to upper case - checks for AV- and any other known variants of username are offered in a popup error
    c. password is forced lower-case and invalid characters are REMOVED - again a popup would be helpful

these checks could/should be undertaken when an ESET update server is selected (or choose automatically) - ONLY.

hth

Greg

11. nmg196

nmg196 Registered Member

Hi,

Can I please request the following changes to the NOD32 client software to prevent common problems:

Edit: I second the above post. My post originally read almost identically to the above post until I noticed it!

Additionally: As well as the existing "Silent" mode, PLEASE make a "Quiet" mode that hides the successful update messages but shows all other error messages such as virus definitions out of date and incorrect username and password specified. None of my users want to be notified that NOD32 has downloaded new definitions every few hours, but I would like all of them to be notified if their machine cannot contact the server or has out of date definitions. This is already the case with the vast majority of competitor solutions by default.

Fixing these problems would make my life so much easier and I'm sure would dramatically reduce the amount of support calls to both yourselves and your reseller partners.

Thanks,
    Nick

12. nmg196

nmg196 Registered Member

> As far as the GUI looking better just make NOD32 skinnable

PLEASE do NOT make it skinable. An AV program should run in the background and should rarely be seen. What it looks like is relatively unimportant as long as it's functional and easy to use. It should use as little RAM as possible and making skinnable would massively increase its RAM usage and performance on older machines.

I've noticed my suggestion about a "Quiet" mode (or at least, the ability to still show details of problems while in Silent mode) has been added to the first post, but not the previous suggestion about trimming usernames and passwords. Is that already in there somewhere or does the mod not think that's a good idea for some reason?

13. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I can not see where you mention this at all, nor would shortening the length of the UN or PW be wise. However removing commonly interchangeable letters and numbers in the Password, such as the number zero “0” and the letter “o” or the number “1” and the lowercase letter L: “l” would be most welcome.

Cheers :D

14. Whitey

Whitey Registered Member

Hello!

Please, can anybody tell me release date of new version NOD32?
    At least..approximate :)))
    I couldn't find.. :)))

15. H2OMutt

H2OMutt Registered Member

Hello,
    Key Idea: NOD32 access via right mouse button menu

Details: It would be re-assuring to be able to scan (or rescan) an email (with or without attachments) by selecting the email & clicking on the right mouse button to bring up the pop-up menu. If the applicable NOD32 program would show up on the menu, then the email could be scanned manually. It would be great to scan any folder or file in MS-Explorer this way also.

Hopefully I didn't miss this idea already being submitted.
    I think Norton did this and I thought it was intuitive and easy to use.
    Thanks...

16. kikipink98

kikipink98 Registered Member

HEY CAN YOU HELP ME?I WANT TO CHANGE MY NOD 32 DUTCH VERSION INTO ENGLAISH VERSION THE CD IS IN DUTCH CAN YOU HELP?

17. SecMonk

SecMonk Registered Member

Hello,

It is somewhat known that it is quite easy for a Windows .exe to flash or patch your BIOS. If a malware app patches your BIOS then even a reformat and clean reinstall of the OS won't help you get rid of all malware.

My questions:
    1) Does NOD32 verify the checksum of the BIOS at startup and warn if it detects any changes?

2) Does NOD32 catch attempts by applications to patch or flash the BIOS?

If not, could the above be implemented? Thank you.

BTW, many thanks for a hiqh-quality product.

18. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

I suggested this in person to management in Eset years ago - nothing so far. It's a very simple fix.

19. tomkus

tomkus Registered Member

Hi i have few suggestions, few are based on my experience with Nod32, RAC and RAS, and few are just wishes ;-)

We have nearly 300 comps in our network.

What i would like to see in RAC:
    1.Column wih name of config on every machine. - some machines have full internet access, some of them don't, so i could create „comps_with_full_net_19.09.2007.xml” and „comps_without_net_19.09.2007.xml, then modify something and create „comps_with_full_net_25.09.2007.xml” - send new config, and after few days I can easy see on which machines with full net config is not updated (just looking for config name on) and send it again.I think that it is very important – now when i am updated config i can't check if all comps updated (only manually one by one).
    2.There could be optionall column with procesor/RAM
    3.Ability to see usernames of who's currently logged into that workstation.
    4.Ability to add clients automatically to Groups based on Active Directory Organisational Unit (Container, group) or IP address Range?
    5.I would like to see option to send messages from RAC – to one machine, group of machines or manually selected? Something like Windows Messenger but based on NOD, since Windows Messenger does not work in Vista and can be turned off on WinXP.
    6.I see no way to modify group name or group description, if make an error, or i want to change group name - do I have to create new group??

Wishes for AV:
    1.Scan during system scan (maybe additionally it could be ordered via RAC?) - Preboot Scan.
    2.Scan new and changed files only – so i could make full scan once a month, and new and changed files twice a week?
    3.Option for ThreatSense.NET that would allow clients to send information to the update server then the update server forward this on to Eset. - many of our people does not have full access to net, so thay have now way to send anything to ESET.
    4. Customizable nod32 icon on systray, ideally it would be included into configuration file and send from RAC

From other hand:
    I am using RAC and RAS ver 1.x.
    My clients are splitted in some gruops etc.
    Is there any way to transfer everything directly to RAC 2.x? Typing every client manually is very bad idea...
    Maybe there is some way that for that that i don't know?

I hope that those suggestions might be considered by ESET coders ;-)

Regards

20. consolit

consolit Registered Member

Change Request

I request this... Visable Pause/Start/Stop buttons should be easily avalable from the main window during Admin designed scheduled scan times. Make this work for all version of Windows! Also make these avalable by right clicking on the NOD32 Icon if viewed from the main toolbar.
    Also have a rule key to allow this to be veiwable or not viewable by users. Checked, gives you access to both button areas, unchecked gives user no access.
    :D

Step it up a notch and spend more time programming; include Active directory support to allow specific security groups or users access to the buttons Pause/Start/Stop buttons.:eek:

21. chtulhu

chtulhu Registered Member

More than a new option, simply essential the one that NOD32 scans in the starting of the PC (before initiating Windows); other antivirus already makes this for a long time back. Because module AMON usually takes in starting and in theory if it is possible to load “something” before the beginning of this.

Thank you very much ;)

22. tomm174

tomm174 Registered Member

I would like to see
    1/ Scans running at low priority by default, preferably with the option to set the level.
    2/ The ability to scan in safe mode - this works fine with NOD32, but the security suite currently won't do it. I quite often find situations where a safe mode scan is advantageous either for speed or to kill particularly difficult malware.

23. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

I agree with you.

24. piranha

piranha Registered Member

hope in new version that we can set all nod32 modules in just one time. In the nod32 tutorial here, we have to set each module separatily :doubt: o_O :thumbd: it is just a lost of time because it is suggest to set them all the same way. So..... two options, all the same or customize.....

25. Near

Near Registered Member

I don't know if this has been said yet/added already.

A feature to block/permit outgoing connections

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.