Future Changes to Nod32

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Blackspear, Oct 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Here's one I've been wanting for a while: Add support for 7zip archives.
    Currently NOD can't scan in those archives (at least when I tried).

2. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Brian: OK, I'll bite. I know what zip archives are (created by either Winzip or PKzip [Phil Katz zip] or other utilities, since my very vague recollection is that in the 1980s Katz may have put the zip format into the public domain in some sense), but what are 7zip archives?

Or was that a typo?

Thanks. Roger Folsom

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

no its not a typo, 7zip (extension ".7z") is just another kind of archive like rar, zip, cab etc.. (click for more info)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2006
  4. rnfolsom

Thanks. Thanks also for the link, which was interesting itself and which also contained a link to Wikipedia.

Roger Folsom

5. krizz

krizz Registered Member

why not add firewall function? that way, nod32 will be all in one security application, it will be all you need to make your cpu secure!

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

now we wouldnt want to bloat our lean and mean nod32, would we?

7. rnfolsom

I would be very sorry if NOD32 incorporated a firewall.

One reason I abandoned Norton was that it is trying to be all things to all people, which damages its quality in both antivirus and firewall protection. More generally, I suspect that there are strong "diseconomies of unnecessary scope" in designing and maintaining (updating) security software.

Antivirus softwware and firewalls are very different. Antivirus requires a supplier that is continually focused on creating and distributing signatures. Firewalls don't require anything like that, but on the other hand they need to be able to adapt to an enormous variety of hardware and software configurations. The "best" firewall is likely to be very different for different hardware and software situations.

So I doubt that a single company would likely offer the best product in both categories, much less in antivirus plus multiple firewall categories.

And security software rankings often change dramatically in a short period of time. For example, compare PCMagazine's most recent rankings (October I think) of anti-spyware software to that same magazine's rankings in June or July.

When relative product quality changes dramatically, I can change much more easily if security software of different types are not tied to each other: for example, if my antivirus is not tied to my firewall or vice versa.

As a user, I want to be able to choose what I judge to be the best product in each security category. It would be very difficult to persuade me to use NOD32 if it came with what I would regard as an "albatross around my neck" firewall.

Roger Folsom

8. ugly

ugly Registered Member

How about NOD32 v.3 + LnS ?:eek:
    That will be a really nice combination !:D

9. rnfolsom

I didn't get the joke, until a Google search invited my attention to LNS Software of Kent, Washington (http://www.lns-software.com/), which provides "Craft software solutions for needleworking, knitting, crocheting, quilting, sewing, and rubber stamping, with a project diary, features and conversion charts . . . for many brands of fibers, and a cataloging system . . ."

And there is also LNS Software Systems of Calgary Canada (http://www.lns-systems.com/), which has an entirely different focus: "creating new ways to provide solutions to its clients. LNS builds tools to automate manual tasks to make it easier to do work." Databases and a bunch of other stuff.

Roger Folsom

10. ugly

ugly Registered Member

LnS = LooknStop Firewall o_O
    (see the official forum on Wilders Securiy Forums ):ninja:

11. winx5

winx5 Registered Member

I'd love to be able to have an advanced option which shows different warning messages in the On-Demand scanner logs.
    I'm refering here as examples to AntiVir and AVG.

AntiVir: Wrong file size in directory, Wrong creation time in directory, COM file is too large, Invalid start Address, Invalid EXE header, Possibly damaged, OLE file is damaged or protected.

AVG: Damaged executable files, Warnings during Heuristic Analysis, Hidden file extensions.

Some more could be: The file is possibly packed, Unknown filepacker, File has http capabilities.

I'd also love to see some Paranoid Heuristic features similar to VBA32

Thanks!

12. vbuckjr

vbuckjr Registered Member

I am really not anxious to see Anti-Spam being integrated into NOD32 I am happy to see the ability to detect Rootkits being enhanced though.

13. rnfolsom

Agreed. My ISP already filters out spam (using "aggressiveness" settings that I choose), and Mozilla Mail (likewise Mozilla's Thunderbird) already contains spam filters, which is ideal because they are part of my email program and I can see what has been put into my junk mail folder to check for false positives.

Please, Eset, do not go down the Bloatware route.

Roger Folsom

14. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

I whole heartly agree with a redesign of the interface. The current interface is a prime reason why I am not recommending the product to a vast majority of my customers (newbie computer users).

15. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Even if there is an Anti-Spam or Firewall integrated in NOD32 3.0, the installer will most likely allow for the customer to install only those components he/she wants. ;)

16. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

I have never had an issue with this interface, not the previous one, I simply set up Nod32 on every customers PC and then show them how to use it. They are also given the link to the "Extra Settings for Nod32" thread, however I could count on one hand the number of my customers that have actually been to it on their own, in fact I think the actual count is two customers ;) :D

Cheers :D

17. rnfolsom

Blackspear:

That your customers ignore your "extra settings" shows nothing more than that you have customers who are a) busy and b) smart. If you had set up NOD32 on my computer, I also wouldn't have gone to your "Extra Settings."

During our conversation I would have made clear that I wanted maximum protection and was willing for maximally thorough scans to take all the time needed (and that I didn't want stuff happening "automatically," especially without notification to me), and I'd assume that your setup of NOD32 complied with my wishes (except where you explained to me that my wishes were unwise).

Congratulations on having exceptional clients. :D

Sincerely and Cordially (and with much appreciation for your "extra settings" thread), Roger Folsom

P.S.: You wrote also that

Again, that's not surprising, because you know the program! But for a new user, the current NOD32 2.5 interface raises serious questions, as in a thread I started, " NOD32 Setup Questions (from a New User)"
    (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=607536#post607536) --- as you know because you provided many of the answers! (Thanks again.)

Further evidence that the NOD32 interface needs work is in this "Future Changes" thread, post 290 (from me) and other posts in this thread asking for interface reorganization, for example posts 347 and 348.
    (I'd provide their links, but I haven't yet figured out how to figure out the link for a post that is not at the start of a page.)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  18. Blackspear

Ahhh but they are not the exception, they are the very average person in the street that does not want to know the workings of their TV, they simply want to press on and watch TV... ;) :D

By the way, my Fiances setup is automatic, mine is set to "ask".

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  19. enduser999

enduser999 Registered Member

That is fine if they can/want to pay someone to set the software up on their existing computer. What I was trying to explain is that with me I need to be able to tell friends that I recommend say NOD32, tell them where one can buy it online (but some people I know do not purchase items over the Internet) and have them install the software by using the download file only without any intervention on my or anyone else's part. To have the software perform a weekly scan they either need the instructions here or intervention on my part to set it up.

20. rnfolsom

First and foremost, congratulations!

Much less important: Suppose your fiancee didn't have you around and wanted the settings to be "ask." Without your knowledge of command line settings, my recollection (from what I had to do) is that she would have had to go to NOD32's On-Demand Scanner, Actions Tab, and for each item on the drop-down menu change the settings. Then she would have had to that over and over again, for each profile listed in the profile tab.

Then (again extrapolating my own experience) she would have worried or at least wondered whether she had missed something.

So I conclude that the NOD32 interface needs work.

Cordially, Roger Folsom

[Note: In support of this post, I added a P.S. to my preceding post.]

21. Blackspear

Sure, well with version 3 hopefully there will be an import/export feature for the stand-alone version.

22. anotherjack

anotherjack Registered Member

Man, I'm sorry to hear that. What happened to the other three fingers?

:D

23. Blackspear

ROFLMAO :D

24. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

I would love to see a version for mac os x.
    While it is all well and good that os x is (virtually) virus free, we (not myself of course :rolleyes: ) os x users can still spread viruses by forwarding infected emails to windows users.

Our current options are Norton or ClamAV and (in my opinion) neither does a good job.

What are the chances of this?

Blackspear - How are you going to give a pc the 3 fingered salute now?!

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

McAfee is also a current option.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.