Future Changes to ESS

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by Blackspear, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Further discussion on this topic was moved here.

2. Gosman

Gosman Registered Member

Maybe, ESET should produce utility, which would have tested the system on the ability to install an antivirus program: stopped Service Windows Installer - try to start it, is there a known registry keys, blocking the launch egui, ekrn, blocking the update antivirus bases - offer to remove/repair them... (The cases do not start egui, abnormal installation of antivirus, non ability to update bases are quite common on already infected PC)

Yes, such a program is needed - but it should be built into the first external installation package with the extension / exe.

And after the test and attempts to normalize services start to launch a second package NOD32/msi.

And, of course! This utility must constantly evolve and get better!

Regards

Last edited: Nov 6, 2010
  3. aido

aido Registered Member

A firewall implementation for network analysis would not be bad so we can resolve unknown addresses.

4. toxinon12345

toxinon12345 Registered Member

I agree with you.... automatic scanning/blocking is better.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

See the AV-Comparatives year report: make it easier for novice users to setup a scheduled scan (not having to enter Advanced settings).
    I think that would indeed be a good addition for novice users, since the whole user interface is already great in usability, just missing this option.

Concering myself: I personally don't have anything to request anymore. Since it will be too late to implement major new features for ESET version 5.
    What I do hope is that you will give an option during the installation to not install the Parental Control which will most likely be included in Smart Security 5.

What the major new feature regarding detection/protection will be is just guessing (behavior-based and/or reputation-based?), as long as it ain't HIPS-like it is fine to me. Everyone knows the viewpoint of ESET regarding releasing information about the upcoming version (i.e. not releasing anything) by now. Which I think is a big shame, but I can't change that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

An option for advanced users to set heuristics detection's(and possible behavioural detection in v5) sensitivity to high for more security in exchange for some possible FP's would be nice.

7. kerykeion

kerykeion Registered Member

Revolutionize ThreatSense.NET such that it could also function like a behaviour blocker.

(Similar to the functions of Threatfire and Mamutu)

8. Zookeeper1964

Zookeeper1964 Registered Member

I get a TON of spam emails with non-English characters in the sender and/or subject fields (such as cyrillic). An example subject line would be "Рассылки писем". ESET antispam is not catching a lot of these.

It would be great if the antispam module could be configured to treat emails foreign character sets as spam.

9. tactful

tactful Registered Member

HOST INTRUSION PREVENTION WOULD BE A HUGE IMPROVEMENT.UFORTUNATELY IT IS NOT ON THE ESET AGENDA which Ultimately puts ESET on the endangered list for being renewed but rather it being replaced with something that has a sandbox feature as well as many others.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  10. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

As stated at the beginning of this message thread in the very first post, the point of this message thread is to provide feedback to ESET's developers, marketers, researchers and other staff about feature requests and future product technology directions.

From your feedback below, it seems you are interested in HIPS and sandbox technologies. This information will be made available to ESET's staff for future consideration .

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

11. tactful

tactful Registered Member

hello.read the first thread it is as plain and simple as one can make it over wires and understandable.both or either technologies should be seen as an asset to Eset I would think?

12. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Auto sandbox w/heuristic behavior analysis for unknown files with a prompt to the user in case of sandboxing known good files "False Positive". Behavior blocker would also be nice to see. Also improved UI for the firewall.
    As for other posters here worried about extra overhead with newer tech introduced into the product. Others have added this tech with no overhead. I will not name names since this is Eset's forum.

13. tonym

tonym Registered Member

Full email integration with Ritlabs "The bat"

14. BoerenkoolMetWorst

- Option to set Heuristic sensitivity to High for advanced users to trade a few FP's for better detection.
    - Option in the firewall to allow processes based on services. For example not svchost.exe on that and that port. But that you can say, allow svchost.exe only for windows time and windows update and block all other svchost.exe requests
    - When creating a SysRescue disk, include the current virus database in the image so that it is possible to use SysRescue on a PC without a wired or compatible wireless internet connection.
    - Add option in exclusion to exlude files accessed by a specific process, for example mbam.exe so Eset doesn't scan all files mbam accesses when doing a full scan.

15. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

This is already possible

16. BoerenkoolMetWorst

- Option to set Heuristic sensitivity to High for advanced users to trade a few FP's for better detection.

Where can I find this option? I don't see it in Advanced setup.

17. BoerenkoolMetWorst

To clarify, I really mean sensitivity, so no deeper scanning or Advanced Heuristics, but lowering the threshold that is needed before a file is flagged by Heuristics.

18. kaboro

kaboro Registered Member

I would like to have more control in the selective scanning, be able to decide which folders will be scanned or not.
    Example: I want to scan drive C but i want to exclude certain folders that are in the Program Files folder.
    In old versions of AV software you could do that by simply checking/unchecking boxes.
    In new versions the file/folder browser is very basic so you cant do that anymore.

19. vigen

vigen Registered Member

Hello,

Please, make the ability to kill an process (like process explorer) in Sysinpector.

If the malware process run, is very difficult for the script service to kill them.

Vigen.

20. BoerenkoolMetWorst

Because lots of users come here with an infection that Eset couldn't automatically remove, but a removal tool from Eset can, I think it's a good idea to integrate them, like Norton 2012 for example:
    This would lighten the number of users in need of support and like the quote says also improve security for unaware users.

21. MarkyB

MarkyB Registered Member

The ability to schedule a system scan (via policy) on a monthly rather than weekly basis. Date spacific or day of week number.

Thanks

MarkyB

22. toxinon12345

+ Cleaning actions/icons
    --> For successful cleaning notifications​
    [Threat blocked]​
    [(X)]...--> (√) auto-cleaning animation status (like in Norton)​
    --> For failed cleaning notifications​
    [Cleaning error]​
    [(X)]...--> (X) auto-cleaning animation status (like in Norton)​
    --> Better localization. LA-Spanish Support.
    please remove "no se ha podido desinfectar" string, is confusing.​
    archivo eliminado --> puesto en cuarentena
    desinfectado --> puesto en cuarentena​

+ Integrate "Scan with ESET Smart Security" and "Clean files" options
    On scan finnish, enable:
    --> "Start threat cleaning" option in context-menu of the scan window.
    --> Or, "Start threat cleaning" button in the scan window.
    --> cleaning type is defined by "ThreatSense engine parameters setup"
    --> Cleaning actions will be appended to the scan log.
    ()​

+ Activity indicator with decimal precision, constantly updated (ej> each 500ms)
    (% Extraction for the First nested level)
    This way, users will know the scan is running without problems.​

+ Tasks-triggers based on specific events
    (ie, on WiFi detection)​

+ Samples preparation for e-mail submit.
    + "Disable cloud signatures" option. (On demand, on access, on Execution)
    + Access to settings/modification of the product requiring entering CAPTCHA
    + List all objects requiring cleaning on reboot
    ========================================================================================
    + [In The Cloud HASH] signatures blacklisting and whitelisting
    then implemented into VSD​

+ Download "Smart signatures" option
    Containing a reduced set of signatures for prevalent and ITW malware acording ThreatSense.net statistics (disabled by default)

+ Implement Scan priority or % CPU limits
    Controlled by ThreatSense engine parameters setup
    Or, controlled by each [Profile] in every profile filter/scanner (Realtime, email, web, document, on-demand, startup)
    (i.e. web scanner allows a minimum CPU, enough for the browser)​

+ Increment on-demand speed for ISO, NRG, BIN containers.
    Scan speed is faster when image is mounted. Normally, Image extraction is slow. (I noted this in v4.0.474)​

+ Increment on-demand speed
    --> "Show log after scan completion" option.
    --> Faster extraction in Archives/containers, less Disk I/O.
    --> Simultaneous scanning of multiple files.​

+ Threat proteccion:
    --> On System cleaning through command-line
    --> During product installation​

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  23. toxinon12345

Re: Future Changes to ESS 3.0

+11111111111 maybe in custom setup

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  24. mania

mania Registered Member

I'm one of ESS big fan :D , and I have a little idea;
    When using ESET Rescue CD (with latest update of course), sometimes ESS detect a malware (ex; Ramnit A or H variant), but ESS cannot just delete the file (%systemroot%\program files\microsoft\watermark.exe). ESS give us choice (Clean,Delete,Quarantine),.. I wonder why? Why doesn't ESS just delete the file (watermark.exe)?
    The same question is what happen to Virut.NCS virus...
    Is there any reason(s)?

Great Thank's :D

25. henriquechote

henriquechote Registered Member

It is interesting how "Safe Zone" in Avast. He opens a single desktop computer is infected and whether there will be no data theft by safely navigate in this mode "Safe Zone". Could count on detailed options for parental control and file encryption.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.