Future Changes to EAV

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Blackspear, Jan 20, 2008.

1. mlynchit

mlynchit Registered Member

Ability to perform a "Custom Scan" on an excluded folder.

If the user wants to specifically scan a folder that is also in the exclude list, then NAV should oblige :)

Would it not also make sense to have different exclusion list for the on-demand scanner?
    Some exclusions are only relevant to real time scanning

2. RaDiOalarm

RaDiOalarm Registered Member

Somewhere around march 2010:
    9 months and still not implemented? Then at least the ERA interface should warn if the entered exclusion will not be applied. Now it just silently does not apply to client. Manual also doesn't mention the absence of the variables.

EDIT: or bite a bullet and allow exclusion just by file name (no path).

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  3. Wallaby

Wallaby Registered Member

Over the years, automatically added programs in some internal lists don't exist anymore

So my wish the following

Implement a "Purge" in all the sections in the Advanced Setup where list of files are shown (for example in "Excluded Applications", in "Email Clients"). So that, for example, we can see "Add" "Edit" "Delete" "Purge" to remove no more existing programs.

4. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Seconded.

5. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

See the AV-Comparatives year report: make it easier for novice users to setup a scheduled scan (not having to enter Advanced settings).
    I think that would indeed be a good addition for novice users, since the whole user interface is already great in usability, just missing this option.

Concering myself: I personally don't have anything to request anymore. Since it will be too late to implement major new features for ESET version 5.

What the major new feature regarding detection/protection will be is just guessing (behavior-based and/or reputation-based?), as long as it ain't HIPS-like it is fine to me. Everyone knows the viewpoint of ESET regarding releasing information about the upcoming version (i.e. not releasing anything) by now. Which I think is a big shame, but I can't change that.

6. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Option to select scan all files on write.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please elaborate more on what you mean.

8. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Now the real time scanner has the option to scan all files or to scan specific extensions while read and write. It would be nice to have an option to only scan all files on new written files to hd and an option to set default file extensions while reading files from the hd. It would save some cpu and file access i think.

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Actually it wouldn't make much noticeable difference in terms of performance but the security risk would be huge. By the way, it is already possible to disable scanning on write / open in the real-time protection setup.

10. Ego_Dekker

Ego_Dekker Registered Member

I would like to see the next generation version to be able to clean/delete malware without special removal tools. Using standalone removal tools with installed EAV which is unable to delete known trojans (e.g. Olmarik) is a thing of the past. No matter how much computer restarts it will take, but AV should fight malware by itself.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  11. heyash

heyash Registered Member

I'm curious if EAV plans on implementing any of the features Sophos is touting. The features they showed us which we're interested in are the following:
    -the ability to block and log the use thumb drives
    -verifiable drive encryption

I don't know if these features are coming to EAV any time soon or ever but they are features that are winning our CIO's over at the minute.

12. SmackyTheFrog

SmackyTheFrog Registered Member

Removable media blocking is a feature v4 has. If drive encryption were to be added, it would be part of the ESS product and not the Nod32 base. As a network security guy though, doing drive encryption through an AV product would be sinking in to some pretty deep layers of the OS and I could see service packs or patches wreaking havoc if something were to go wrong and a dependency was broken. I would be far more inclined to use the bundled drive encryption in Win7 Ultimate over 3rd party solutions.

13. heyash

heyash Registered Member

Thank you for pointing this out to me. Can this be configured in any way through the ESET Configuration Editor? I'm looking at it and thinking "no" since it's so machine specific.

The (possible) difference between ESET's implementation and Sophos' is the ability to see logged instances of removable media via a dashboard (though maybe it can somehow and I just don't know it... heck, I didn't know the option was there at all).

14. SmackyTheFrog

You can enable the removable media block through a configuration file and set exceptions. The problem is that it is defined by USB controller and port, so unless you have an amazing consistent hardware configuration setting the exceptions as a policy is going to be extremely hard. The best way I can think to do it is enable the block and then set up individual exceptions on the client systems when a user requests it. And yes, it appears there isn't a good method of logging those events right now. That's something I would put in to a feature request.

15. Palavata Lilly

Palavata Lilly Registered Member

I'd like to see more options configuring the actions according to the different threats and how to handle them. I mean, nowadays, since I trust deeply NOD I've put the "decision maker" to "strict cleaning" for all modules, but in v.2 I could manage actions according to the various threats in various places and what to do if NOD could not execute the above action, eg. : virus - clean, if couldn't: delete. Something like it...
    Also I think a safe runner (but! on the condition it runs safe for real, not missing a thing) would be a good option for an advanced user and also an ad blocker. Oh, man, I do hate this fancy pages with huuuuuge banners and my browser sweating it in openning the page and manage the structure, e.g. opensubtitles.
    I disagree about HIPS presence. I think that a module like this will trigger a lot of confusion in most of the users and would be a nuisance for much of the NOD fans. My opinion is that for an intelligent software like NOD there's no need of HIPS. And if you want such though, there are plenty of decisions in the wild that work perfect with ESET products. Like the products of PC Tools, for example.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  16. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    I'm not that techno, many things can be added but this anti-virus should maintained being light in resource usage, quick scanning, more effective detection and removal of viruses/malwares and a more advanced dependable powerful heuristic engine for "preventing" zero day attack in their next version.

Aside from that, I just like to see NOD32 to have more awards and to stay in top position in a consistent manner. :cool:

17. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Agreed, any change to NOD32 should in fact make the software lighter on the disk I/O.

18. SmackyTheFrog

Real-time scanning doesn't generate disk IO. The applications that you are running make the request to disk and the AV software acts as a middle-man, scanning before they are executed which incurs a CPU/memory penalty to do so.

19. sweater

I'd like to see the Eset Robot wearing a golden suite armour. :D

20. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

I'd like to see a female Eset Robot wearing nothing... ^^ ;)

21. yongsua

yongsua Registered Member

:cautious:

22. yongsua

I hope that ESET company would come out a free antivirus for non-commercial user.I mean everyone should share to use EAV together.:)

23. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

What? No jokes allowed? :D :p

24. yongsua

:p Ya,no jokes allowed.Hehe.:D

25. sweater

Norton in the past is just has a name Norton, now it has Norton 360, etc... I wonder why they called it so. :rolleyes:

Maybe, just a suggestion...how bout if the next version of NOD32 will be called Eset NOD32 Gold? More impressive sounding and also sounds like there are really some great changes and features added on to it under the hood. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.