Future Changes to EAV

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by Blackspear, Jan 20, 2008.

1. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

Fingerprinting to save CPU.

2. Flying Kiwi

Flying Kiwi Registered Member

My email using NOD32 about corrections required, received a swift reply (passing responsibility back to me to post here - why they can't handle this internally I don't know but here goes).
    NOD32 version 4.0.474.0 (current to 13/01/10 12.26 Hrs GMT) has the following help related typos that need correcting:
    The help file -> Dialog Windows ->Email Client Integration section has titles for various email programs but not Microsofts latest Windows *Live* Mail - the wording should be changed to include this (especially for all the new Windows 7 users who've installed it as a default email client). I realise Windows Live Mail is supported (and it's documented elsewhere in help and the program, just not here).
    The helpfile subfolder of the above -> Miscellaneous -> Rescan Messages has an 'explanation' that reads: "The item Scan also already scanned messages provides that also messages that were already scanned in the past by the antispam module.":eek: - I think they got their mords wuddled upo_O

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Keen observation :) This will be fixed in the help files for the release version 4.2 that is currently available as a beta.

4. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

Adding update postpone (in minutes) option for task scheduling is a good and useful idea to ensure the protection.

Net connection requires some minutes to be established after PC booting, and the option below is less useful because it depends on hours basis:

20-1-2010 2-01-15 AM.jpg

5. stimulator32

stimulator32 Registered Member

Enhancing ESET protection by a HIPS module that it's table of rules is grouped by the applications.

ESET Sandbox (like KIS 2010 and Avast! 5) is a good idea.

Parental control is an important module else.

Thanks ..

6. LAHarry

LAHarry Registered Member

Add Web & phishing protections will be good enough.
    Try not schedule the software update when start-up. (like kaspersky 2010 update only after computer start-up couple of time later.)

Again must keep " light in system impact & good protection"as before. (Many of the other AV/Internet Security had improved resources consuming in these 2 years & competitive stricly against NOD)

7. Fuzzie

Fuzzie Registered Member

Option to allow a scheduled scan to be paused without requiring password.

8. PCMonk

PCMonk Registered Member

Ability to stop/restart the ekrn.exe process if it runs away.

Ref: item 18 however. Maybe you could lock it down better and provide your own app to stop it? Difficult to find a midway here I know.

18. As mentioned above, better self protection (right now, I can kill the process with an application I built in vb. This shouldn't be so easy.)

9. PCMonk

PCMonk Registered Member

Custom reports.

It would be nice to be able to select fields for a custom report.

10. PCMonk

PCMonk Registered Member

Make the RA policy settings layout match the settings layout on the client for easier policy setup.

11. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

1. Keep it Simple. The v4 interface is great. Not much change needed here...

2. Improve proactive protection. Maybe a HIPS? Better Behavior blocker?

3. Focus on the antivirus part. Windows firewall is enough for most users.

4. Make it even lighter. Don't know if NOD32 already have something similar to Avast's permanent and transitory cache, but if it does not have, its time to make it...

12. Flying Kiwi

Flying Kiwi Registered Member

Something I find annoying which I'd like corrected is that NOD32 4.0.474 does not trim its appended tags in emails so just the latest one is there. If I build up a long 'thread' of emails I don't see the need for the email to retain something like this at the bottom:

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4906 (20100301) __________

The message was checked by ESET NOD32 Antivirus.

http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4910 (20100302) __________

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4910 (20100302) __________

I'd much rather only the latest Tag was retained. Sure I can go in and delete these manually (or turn this tagging off altogether) but since NOD32 can add these automatically, I'd like things to be sophisticated enough to weed out the unnecessary old tags eg when sending an email reply. Surely making this as a selectable option (or even the default with the option to select all tags to be retained) shouldn't be to difficult?

13. piranha

piranha Registered Member

will be great if nod tell us that a new version is available in our language

14. techie007

techie007 Registered Member

Asked in this thread back in Jan. 2008, Figured I'd add them again:

I'd like to see:

1. More granular control of the password protection for different parts of the program (i.e. Quarantine protection having a different password than other sections).
    2. Configurable scheduled scan 'snooze' button, with forced scan completion after X snoozes of Y minutes.

15. jeremyf

jeremyf Registered Member

A post from agoretsky in another thread (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=267344) led me to post this suggestion here...

Please for the love of all good in the world add support for system environment variables in exclusions in all ESET products!

Stuff like:

%Program Files%\
    C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\
    %windir%\

Refer to this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

for MS recommended exclusions, and note how MS assumes your AV solution supports these variables...

I believe this would be doing such a service to much of your technically apt clients/customers, this will truly accelerate the popularity of your product, more so than any GUI change...

Thanks!

16. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

This wish has been accepted; it will be possible to use system variables when configuring exclusions via a configuration task.

17. jeremyf

jeremyf Registered Member

Super cool! You should do a system wide notification on this, as MANY people will be happy with it, I believe!

I use ERAS/ERAC to push configs to clients... from your comment, I will be able to create a config XML including system variables in exclusions, and push this on to all clients? If so, kudos!

18. Siesta

Siesta Registered Member

As was said: "From now on, please post to the appropriate forums dedicated to ESET NOD32 Antivirus or ESET Smart Security.
    I am posting:
    Glad to hear about fresh news.
    Sign in to download.

Thanks

19. FanJ

FanJ Updates Team

Better readability of the scan-log.

XP-home SP3 with NOD32 EAV 4.2.35.0
    (just recently upgraded from NOD32 2.70.39)

When looking at the scan-log, I cannot see the whole lines from left to right.
    I have to copy/paste the scan-log into something like Wordpad to be able to actually read those lines.

I hope that I was able to express myself in the right English words.

Thank you.

20. Gran2Four

Gran2Four Registered Member

Please add a mobile version of ESET NOD 32 for my Motorola Droid. I have found a free Antivirus App, but I have always trusted ESET for the best antivirus protection.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010
  21. icr

icr Registered Member

Behaviour Blocker similar to Norton's SONAR:)

22. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i hope future versions of ESET NOD32 and Smart Security use a component based install so that i can choose to install the components i want and not install the components i don't want, kind of like the way avast and other av's do it.

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes please +1

24. rnfolsom

rnfolsom Registered Member

Rescan quarantine after every update, Help needs Help

Using NOD32 4.0.474.0, in Tools, Quarantine, if "Rescan quarantine after every update" is checked, apparently "rescan" includes deleting any false positives that NOD32 quarantined in error.

However, the ? help says only that "Re-scan quarantined files after every update [means that] all quarantined objects will be scanned after each virus signature database update."

In my judgment, removing false positives from Quarantine does make some sense, provided that genuine threats are not removed.

But the ? help ought to say explicitly that although checking Re-scan does not remove genuine infections, it does remove entries that are mistakes (i.e. not a real threat). The ? help also ought to state the purpose for Re-scan: for example, is its only purpose to remove false positives? And if there are additional reasons for Re-scan, then there ought to be an option to Re-scan without deleting any entry, whether or not it is a real or false threat. (My reason for that last sentence is in my closing paragraph.)

Unless that's already been done, I hope that it gets done in the next build of NOD32 4.2.

For background about the confusion that the current situation enables, see the "Empty Quarantine" thread.
    For more background, see also the "JS/EXploit.CVE-2010-0806 trojan on Yahoo!" thread,
    perhaps beginning with message #12.

I plan to uncheck that Re-scan setting, and instead rely on manual deletions of quarantined threats, be they false or real. It's very difficult to accurately describe unexpected intrusions for a post (either here at Wilders or at Eset) when the intrusion information has disappeared!

Roger Folsom

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  25. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Don't be too reliant on behavior signatures so malware is detected before it is executed. Sometimes its just too late after executing malware even if it is detected upon being executed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.