Fully encrypted TrueCrypt drive no longer accepting password

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by adroit, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adroit

adroit Registered Member

The other day I tried to power up my laptop (fully encrypted), but it would not accept my TrueCrypt password. I'm absolutely positive that I know the password, it is something I've been typing in multiple times a day for over 2 years. I removed the drive from my laptop and connected it to my desktop in an attempt to mount the drive without pre-boot authentication. It is giving me an error saying that I have the incorrect password or not a TrueCrypt volume. I have tried using the embedded backup header but I am still getting the same error.

Is there anything that I can do to recover my drive?

2. Simpson474

Simpson474 Registered Member

A fully encrypted TrueCrypt drive does not have an embedded backup header. To mount a system encryption from another PC you have to set the checkbox "Mount partition using system encryption without pre-boot authentication" and your keyboard has to be configured to the US-Layout (if this is not the default layout of your keyboard in Windows). TrueCrypt requires you to create a Rescue Disc for system encryption: you can try to put back the disk into your laptop and to restore the TrueCrypt header using the Rescue Disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.