Full Disk Encryption = Wiping consequences.

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fano effect3, Jan 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

The underlying question is whether 1 pass is enough. Are there any cleanly documented cases, using modern capacity and encoded drives, in which once overwritten data has been restored?

Blue

2. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I agree completely, Blue. The answer - I believe - is no.

3. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

You're not alone and i wish we had a disk expert who could explain it with precise details why, but again, every time a simple wipe is finished the system responds to that with enough pep that i make it a regular routine. And yes of course, defrag also contributes to this. But can the performance incresed be measured? Only one defrag app i have tried seems to indicate this by employing as one of it's features a percentage % display. But like you, i also would envy a more devisive answer by some other form of measuring (app maybe?)

Still, i like & enjoy those gains even though i can only speculate that somehow, maybe in similar fashion as after running a full D-Ban or HDDERASE, enough clutter as i call so-called delete material on disk, it creates a repeated even pattern that helps the Windows system itself ignore stumbling over readable data, no matter how tiny, thereby eliminating hesitation which affects of course performance or speed.

I told you, i'm only speculating here on that, but my end results of that routine remain real.

4. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Any extra info at the link below?
    Why Deleting Just isn't enough

5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Good article Franklin, I thought this bit was particularly worth bearing in mind.

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Basically, all that says is 'deleting' isn't enough. You have to 'wipe' or 'shred' or 'erase' (pick your favorite term) a file. Most everbody here knows this, I do believe. There is always discussion concerning this. Deleting is never enough. Wiping with ERASER achieves exactly what the article says is the goal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.