Full backup images/DVD or CD media

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by TerpCJ, Oct 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerpCJ

TerpCJ Registered Member

I just downloaded True Image 9, paid for it, registered for it.
    Tried to do a drive image.
    It would not recognize my DVD+R media and do an image.
    I switched media to CD-R, and it worked. Took 4 CDs.

Read the FAQs on the Acronis site and the TI9 PDF Manual.
    There is ONE FAQ about using DVDs. (not enough info there folks!)
    It says to use Formatted DVDs. It doesn't say what that means! What format does it want? I bought DVD media and I have no idea how to format it for this program.

It says it "required third-party DVD packet writing software to be installed. This software is generally provided with DVD drives when you purchase them."
    I am using Sonic Record Now ver 7.3 which states under File System Notes that "The DVD file system is preset to ISO+Joliet+UDF. It cannot be changed"

Next I tried booting from the Acronis Boot Restore CD that I made with the program, to test my CD image. The Boot CD brought up the Acronis stand-alone program, but when I said use the True Image full program (not Windows) it got stuck and continued to write hdc:lost intercept on the black & white screen.

Why can't this program just make a bootable restore image of the whole drive? Why does it have to be this hard?

I have been trying to make it work for 5 hours now, and no success. If I don't get it working tonight, I am getting my money back and looking elsewhere.

Cindy

2. Acworth

Acworth Guest

I have the same problem with the DVD+R, Rosio sw

3. yellowjelly

yellowjelly Registered Member

Same problem here too.

I'll be checking this forum regularly to see it someone gets it to work and how they did it. Another update will probably enable this feature.

4. lafjax

lafjax Registered Member

It probably wants you to use DVD-RW or DVD+RW media. For some programs those have to be formatted before use. I use a free program from http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ called DVDInfopro. It does a lot of stuff but is a quick easy way to format RW DVD's.
    I just bought TI9 and have not tried dvd's yet.

5. n2325

n2325 Guest

OK here is what I tried...

After realizing that I could not (despite what the box led me to believe) burn an image file directly to a DVD I used the "creat backup CD' wizard to burn a bootable CD. I then used another utility and created an .iso file of that CD. Then I burned the bootable .iso file to a DVD and added my archive.

The problem I have with this is that when it boots to the recovery enviroment it says the "image is not the most current or corrupt" but if I try to use it under a fully loaded windows it works just fine... From what I've been reading there seems to be some sort of a bug in the software. As much as I hate symantec Ghost is starting to look pretty tempting...

I dont understand why none of these programers understand, we want to back up the computer to a BOOTABLE DVD *1 disk* end of story. It's not that hard a concept, Dell's been doing it for years with CD's. I know the software is out there. These people need to get with the program.

6. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Sonic can format DVDs for use with TI using the Direcct Access utility. You'll find it in the Sonci folder under All Programs.

I agree that writing natively to DVDs should be possible (as it is to CDs), but Acronis has choses to use this preformatted DVD approach because it is simpler for them.

7. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TerpCJ,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

As it is clearly stated in that FAQ article, you should have one of the following UDF packet DVD-writing software installed in order to be able to burn your images directly to DVD:

- Roxio Drag-To-Disc — a part of Roxio Easy Media Creator;
    - Ahead InCD — available for free on the Nero site for Ahead Nero users (and usually is shipped with Nero).

Actually, Acronis True Image 9.0 also supports other UDF packet DVD-writing software, but the two above are the most popular and they have been tested and approved by Acronis.

Accordingly, all of your DVDs should be UDF formatted.

Once a DVD has been formatted using UDF packet writing software, the software enables you to drag-and-drop files from Windows Explorer direct to DVD+/-RW. You couldn't do this without some form of packet writing software running in the background. TI "hooks" into this packet writing software when imaging direct to DVD.

Please also note that we do not officially support creation of the Bootable Rescue Media on DVD. However, I advise you to take a look at this previous thread describing the issue.

As for the problem with Bootable Rescue CD. First of all, please make sure that you use the latest build (2277) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update, boot your PC from this CD and see if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists with the latest build (2277) of Acronis True Image 9.0 then please create Linux system information (sysinfo.txt) as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

If you will not be able to create a sysinfo.txt file for some reasons then please boot from the Acronis True Image 9.0 rescue disc once more and press F11 key when the "Starting Acronis Loader..." message appears.

After you get the "Linux Kernel Settings" prompt, please remove the "quiet" word, click on the OK button. As the startup messages stop scrolling please write down the last few lines of the output, or use a digital camera to make shots of the output screens.

Please also create Acronis Report in the way described below:

- Download and run Acronis Report Utility;
    - Select the "Create Bootable Floppy" option;
    - Insert a blank floppy disk in the A: drive and proceed with creation of the bootable floppy;
    - Boot the computer from this diskette and wait for report creation process to finish;
    - Collect the report file from the floppy.

Please create an account, then log in and submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

8. TerpCJ

TerpCJ Registered Member

Hi Alexey,

Thank you for your detailed response. I got pretty frustrated with this product on Saturday. I spent 5 hours and kept running into problems/errors. Nowhere in the FAQs does it say you must have DVD-RW disks. I had them but didn't know I was supposed to use them. I also don't want to do all the steps your software requires to do a disk image. I gave up and went online and bought a dowloaded version of Ghost 2003. In one hour, after taking their tutorial (included in the program), and reading their User manual, I had burned an image of my entire disk onto one DVD R. It goes into Dos, burns the image, then kicks you back into Windows.

I will be requesting a credit for my True Image software and have removed the it from my computer.

On a happier note, after I imaged my hard disk, I used Acronis Disk Director to partition the drive into C: D: & E: and it worked just fine. Took five minutes! So that software is awesome!

Cindy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.