FTP for Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Riverrun, May 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverrun

Riverrun Registered Member

Hi folks,

I'm wondering what sort of FTP programs you use in Ubuntu. My internet connection is not super-fast on the upload. I want to update a web-site. It'll probably be about 17-20 Mb in size. I did it on the Mac but every FTP client that I ever tried in Mac chokes on a Web-site that size all except an appliance called Fugu. Fugu is a front-end for Mac terminal and heavy lifting is no problem to it. Unfortunately, it's no longer being developed and a recent Mac update broke it so I can no longer use it. Filezilla is no use to me, tried it and it just doesn't work well enough. It's a pain. If I have to, I'll use Mac Terminal or even Ubuntu Terminal but I'd prefer a GUI.

2. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Have you tried gftp ? It's in the repos. I prefer it to FileZilla.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What's wrong with FileZilla ...? I have approx. 200MB on my site and no worries.
    BTW, you can try the good ole command-line ftp ... put, get, all them shenanigans.
    Mrk

4. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

If you use Firefox, you can get the FireFTP extension.

5. L815

L815 Guest

What's wrong with nautilus?

You can ftp in and set it as a favorite drive on the left hand panel!

You can also edit files directly from it instead of having to download a local copy.

6. Riverrun

Some good ideas there...never though of Nautilus but if you FTP in Explorer I guess it can be done in Nautilus.

Filezilla didn't work for me before but I think it may have been my router settings.

Thanks for the replies.

One small thing, I've got a corrupt file on the site...tried changing the permissions in order to delete it but no joy. Is there an rm rf command I could use to remove it by force?

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Filezilla rules for Ubuntu and Windows both. Runs fine, handles big files with ease, I run a FTP server for my students and there is absolutely no issues at all. Its the fastest loading and performing FTP client or server in both Windows and Linux world.

8. phaedrus

phaedrus Registered Member

I use gFTP. No problems.

Might give FileZilla a try just for fun though :)

9. Riverrun

Haven't tried Filezilla in Ubuntu as yet but definitely going to give it a go.

Cyberduck works very well as a replacement for Fugu on the Mac. I used it yesterday evening and it never coughed.

Mind you, the problem was that my router was blocking stuff. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.