FSIS 2008

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Aug 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

CPU usage hardly is more than 30% (opening programs) here... Since 2005 version I tried to install F-Secure in my computers and always needed to uninstall soon because of righ resource usage. Now it's very good...
    And I can't say one good word about Norton... As I said before... I prefer to stay with no antivirus than install a poor AV that don't execute its job and uses high resources. For me Norton have more a virus aspect than an AV aspect... Sorry. Of course... in your computer you use what you want...

2. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Tnx tiagozt, so it's exactly like 2007. I can't see a single difference in GUI between the 2 versions.

^Ale

3. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

Let's see, NIS 2008 RAM usage 6888K in 4 processes, FSIS '08 RAM usage 22276K in 14 processes. And NIS has high resources? :blink: Granted I never experienced any slowdown when I used FSIS in XP. My complaints were the slow bootup and slow scanning of email. With NIS the only thing I have noticed is a slight hesitation before a website loads.

Norton has yet to find anything on my computer to clean because it has been blocking all the nasties so far.

4. The One

The One Frequent Poster

testing Fsecure 2008 at the moment as well. And I can't see any difference between the 2007 version and 2008. GUI is the same and it si still way too slow on my PC. Even on one of my new ones.

5. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I removed Norton way too slow on laptop took forever to open browser & FSIS never allowed me to trial it & support well was not supportive, I think a language difference is the cause they didn't understand that the trail was unuseable, I'm back to my Nod & Lookn Stop...

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It may look, smell and taste the same but it is a heck of a lot faster. Tweaking isnt always visible nor did anyone ever say the Suite needed an entire makeover. How many times have I heard folks here say, it is the one other option I would choose, or set it and forget it. All I am saying is try it. On this PC it as fast as Aviras suite,"maybe faster, Eset and Norton. It can have 100 processes if it doesnt slow me down and gives me some DEEP protection. It is a good suite.

7. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Thanks for the OEM link! :thumb: I just got a new laptop today, and the first thing I did was to remove Norton and install FSIS 2008, but used the evaluation mode, as I didn't expect the OEm to come out quite so soon. Will have to uninstall and reinstall now but not too much of a problem.

Have to agree with those who say it doesn't look any different, and it still seems to take quite a while to boot up. I think they could have at least done something with the interface to make it look like it's had an update, but I suppose it's what's under the hood that counts.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If you are using Vista, DEFRAG, with Vista you just about need to defrag everyday. It will get FSIS up to where you want it to be. Web scanning is the fastest of all AVs I have tried.

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

One bit of proof is, I always check my inernet speed here. I average about 1.5 to 1.8 megabits per second with my Netgear router and my son using his XBOX 360. With FSIS 2008 it just came in at 2.2 which is the highest I have seen. Now a lot could come into play but when I did the test that was with web scanning and Sandboxie controlling my browser.

Yeah it may look like a 4 cylinder, but it is now a turbo 8.;)

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Jeff,
    That is really good news. Thanks for the report.
    Regards,
    Jerry

11. midway40

FSIS does have a fast HTTP scanner. I couldn't tell any difference with it on or off. I don't know why they have it off by default (or they did in '06-'07).

12. wildvirus88

wildvirus88 Registered Member

I talked about detection too... ;)

13. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I was testing it on a 1.6 Ghz Pentium M laptop. I cannot say that it completely slows down the system, neither 2007 nor 2008 did this. But programs open slower with FSIS than with e.g. NIS or Avira (again - I use the "scan all files" option, which F-Secure himself recommends). The CPU usage is very high when opening applications, be it 2007 or 2008 - I cannot see a difference. Maybe this becomes only evident when using older computers. I figured that on new PCs it doesn't really matter which IS you use, standard applications like Word or Outlook, Firefox and so on will respond very fast with any of them.

Still, I would like to know what the big enhancements are and how they are accomplished - to me it's still FSIS 2007+1.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

;) It's the "mirrors"

15. midway40

...and so was I. But we are getting OT here so I won't go any further in this thread.

16. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

so is it lighter?

i havnt had the pleasure to try this myself yet.

the settings i would recommend would be to "scan all files" for on-demands, while keeping the http realtime to the other setting, i forget what it is called... something like selected files or maybe 'noooooo not all files'

you know what i mean :)

also, ive always installed f-secure without parental control during the installation, seems to take a nice load off, and its something i wil never use.

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i would have to say the http scanner in f-secure is fast.
    f-secure doesnt need a gui make over.
    it just needs to use less cpu usage and be faster to startup and load the GUI.
    the beta testing has only just started so dont past judgement to fast.
    im gonna try the beta on my test pc at some point to see if startup delay is any less.
    sure it doesnt have many options but as long as it updates fequently and gets out of your way then whats the problem?
    i only ditched it because the 2007 version slowed my pc down to much and didnt have many options. but im an IT technican and like to tweak stuff.
    f-secure is fine for the home user who wants protection that updates it self and doesnt bother them.
    i always used the standard scan certain files only option and it blocked quite a few trojans when i didnt know searching for paid mp3s on google would come up with sites for free mp3s and contain trojans.
    since a while ago im against ranting ive heard to much of it recently.
    just because a product doesnt work on your computer doesnt mean its bad.
    lodore

18. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

Umm... I don't think this is a beta version is it? As far as the website indicates, this is the final release.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

really?
    i thought it was a beta since thats what it sounded like on the front page of the website before it came out.
    but i must of been wrong....
    lodore

20. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

Question:
    When will F-Secure Internet Security 2008 be available?

Answer:
    The beta period is complete. The official release of F-Secure Internet Security 2008 was launched on September 3rd! You can download and try it now.

there you go lodore :)

also, some info.......

"The new Internet Security 2008 solution also uses less computer resources than ever before, improving the overall performance of the system. This results in an improved user experience, allowing users to focus more on the important activities in their networked lives.

The new security solution from F-Secure also features improved parental controls with new categories of controlled Web content and a safe Internet list, also known as a whitelist of web sites.

Then, there’s the improved anti-phishing feature that protects computers from fake web sites (fake bank web sites) designed to fool users to disclose their private information. This improved feature included better detection of emails that pretend to be from financial or other trustworthy institutions."

Last edited: Sep 5, 2007
  21. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thanks chris.
    i will try f-secure 2008 on my test pc very soon.
    lodore

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i might give it a try, im curious aswell.

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

it does seem faster indeed,

http scanning is really fast, no noticable speed loss at all.

F-Secure AVP: 7.00.171, 2007-09-06
    F-Secure Libra: 2.04.01, 2007-09-06
    F-Secure Orion: 1.02.37, 2007-09-06
    F-Secure Draco: 1.00.35, 2007-08-27

i thought there was more than that before, but i cant be sure.

anyway, always been a big fan of fsecure (as lodore probably knows with the dissagreements in the past :) )

if i didnt already own 2 licences for different av's, i probably would go back to fsecure

24. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

"if i didnt already own 2 licences for different av's, i probably would go back to fsecure"

There are some good buys on ebay. :D

I'd use also except that KIS7 is working so well, and I had rather "let sleeping dogs lie."*puppy*

Regards,
    Jerry

25. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hi chris,
    ive stopped with my rants about f-secure.
    I think the main problem was it conflicted with spysweeper.
    im willing to try the 2008 trial on my test pc to see if its any faster at startup and running.
    the 2005 and 2006 version worked fine for a long time.
    if i didnt just buy a 3 user license for kis i would of concidered f-secure for my new pc im getting at xmas
    lodore

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.