FSIS 2007 Manual Scanning Problem

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Simon6776, Feb 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i need to do the same but convincing my dad is hard:D
    i will do the memtest86 on my pc sometime soon and see how many errors it reports
    lodore

2. Simon6776

Simon6776 Registered Member

I have to say, 1532 errors does seem extremely, er... extreme, given that only ONE is deemed as significant, and it makes me wonder, a) if the test is reliable, and b), if correct, how the PC is running at all!

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

how much ram have you got in your pc?
    and how much do you normally use?
    you should read the faq made by the ram guy
    i cant seem to find a link to it thou.
    i guess you could run the memtest again
    lodore

4. Simon6776

I currently have 2 x 256Mb of RAM, and have ordered another 256Mb stick. I intended to replace each of my existing sticks individually, and see if any difference is made. If not, I can still use the extra 256Mb stick as an upgrade. How much RAM do I use? How would I know? http://www.avfu59.dsl.pipex.com/smileys/dunno.gif

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

task manager is normally what i use to check.
    or process explorer
    lodore

6. Simon6776

I have 43 running processes in my Task Manager. Excuse the muppetry, but am I supposed to look at the Mem Usage column, and add them all up? :blink: :doubt:

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You have a hell of alot more patience for them, then I do. I had to get rid of it because of the updating problem and no support.

8. Simon6776

Although it may have been the catalyst, this isn't all for F-Secure. It does appear as though I have a RAM problem, which I may not have otherwise discovered, and I would have wanted to get that sorted regardless.

9. Simon6776

I have just had a reply from F-Secure, and predictably, they have said that the 'fsdiag' shows that traces of Norton and Bit Defender are still in the system. I used the Norton Removal Tool to remove Norton IS 2007, so is there anything else I can use to totally clean my system from Norton? Same applies to Bit Defender, although I think I may have found an uninstallation tool for that. I have to admit, although I like F-Secure, it does seem particularly fickle regarding other software, and whilst I am not giving up just yet, the limit of my patience is drawing into view.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Although those of us who frequent these type forums do enjoy trialling AVs and helping others when problems arise, some of us do not want to take the time, or don't have the expertise to do much trouble shooting, and sending reports to the developers. I am in the latter category.
    Accordingly, even our patience runs out.

Some of the best AVs, from a detection viewpoint, also are problems. If I look at Avira, Kaspersky, and F-Secure I see that.

I think that is a reason that those applications will never be popular among the general population of users. The vast majority is not interested in security applications per se, but just want good protection without having to uninstall, install, restart, and troubles.

I suspect that AVG, Avast, and NOD are some of the least problem applications. I suspect also that F-Prot is also relatively trouble free, although I have never used it.

It is not clear to me why some have constant problems with updates, shutdowns, scans, and conflicts with other security programs, while others do not. But that seems to be the case.
    If we had an AV that caught 100% of malware, but did not run well on some computers, it would be worthless on those systems.

Best,
    Jerry

11. Simon6776

So, what you're saying, Jerry, is that some of us seem to have too much time on our hands? :D :D

I know I should probably just leave it, uninstall F-Secure, and reinstall KIS, which gave me hardly any running problems, except for a few minor irritations, and is on the whole, a very good suite, but I think it is interesting testing different brands of software, and trying to solve the problems some of them present. It also offers the benefit of being able to help others, on forums such as these, if one is familiar with a variety of software, and it's potential challenges. If I hated F-Secure per se, I wouldn't be bothering with it at all, but I like the suite, and I genuinely want it to work. If I were to simply give up and remove it, I would be forever wondering what the problems were, and if there could have been a solution, so I do want to explore all possibilities, as far as my technical knowledge, and patience will allow.

I will try to remove all traces of Bit Defender and Norton, and will test a new memory module, but if all fails, I will have to admit defeat, and either live with F-Secure as it is, or bin it and use something else, before everyone on here gets bored to death of me. ;)

12. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I hope you get it all sorted out. Anyone who is as tenacious as you deserves it! :D

I finally found an answer to my "When will FSIS for Vista will be out?"

http://www.f-secure.com/vista/

:)

13. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Simon,
    Not too much time, it is what we find interesting enough to allocate the time.
    :thumb: :D

I would find it more interesting if I had more knowledge, but I will not ever take the time to take a course or courses to bring me up to speed. :'( I admit that when I go through the process to solve problems I learn, and I like that.

On the other hand, I do lose patience when I have to spend a day or so trying to solve a problem. It takes a lot of time, because I need a lot of help, and in the meantime my computer is not working the way I want. I was out of action for over a day just trying to send a dmp file to Kaspersky. Many of you could have done that in an hour.

I am glad that there are those of you who do have the abilities, and can get info to the developers to improve the product. :thumb:

I know you know all that, and I am just preaching to the choir.

Regards,
    Jerry

14. Simon6776

I fear that I'm going to have to accept defeat on this one. I have tried new memory, and there is a definite improvement in system performance, so it was worthwhile in any case, but still F-Secure stalls in the same place on the spyware scan. Short of formatting and reinstalling Windows, I can't think of anything else to try.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

so what antivirus is next for you Simon?
    lodore

16. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Simon,

I had the problem of F-Secure stalling on my desktop. It stopped at the same place, Software\Microsoft\ ...\{04E214E5-63AF-4236-83C6-A7ADCBF98D02}

Of course, that means absolutely nothing to me except a conflict with software. I had that happen a couple of times, and removed it. I had a stall problem with KAV6 and finally removed it. I hope, and believe, they will soon correct whatever the problem is.The problem began after KAV MP2 came out.
    Since FS uses the Kaspersky engine, there may be some connection there. I installed Avast, and it did not have the problem, and now I am using NOD as a trial, and it has no problems.

I might mention that on my laptop I am using F-Secure IS suite, and it is running without problems. Both computers have 1 gig of memory so that is not the problem. o_O o_O I like both KAV and F-Secure real well, but not enough to put up with those problems.
    I sent a dmp file to KL once, but that gets old. I cannot troubleshoot an AV very well so I need one to run well with minimum trouble.

Regards,
    Jerry

17. Simon6776

Jerry, yes mine also stalls at roughly the same point each time, at around 6300 files, or about 10 minutes into the scan. It usually sticks on one of a number of files, one of which is my Epson CX3600 printer software, and if you refer to the beginning of this thread, you'll see it used to stick on 'G' drive, which doesn't exist unless a USB device is connected, like a digital camera. Strangely now, it sticks on 'F:\', which does exist, and is my secondary hard drive. I have now run out of ideas, and the only way I can think of to clear any possible remnants of uninstalled software which may be conflicting, is to format and reinstall Windows, which is a bit of a drastic measure, and not something I really wish to undertake. I have never known any other security software that is so fussy over other software. Surely F-Secure don't expect their software to always be installed on pristine new hard drives?

Umm.... well the only other one I really like, which ran well on my system, is KIS, but apparently there are some issues with the latest version at the moment, so, given that I can use an alternative spyware scanner for manual scans, I will probably stick with F-Secure, at least until the license expires in a couple of months. Who knows, by then, someone might have come up with a solution! :D

Oh, I also like Bit Defender, but can't get uTorrent to work properly with it.

18. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Are we all going to have to go with AVG free or Avast Home?:D I have not tried AVG lately, but Avast always runs well without conflicts. I wonder why some of the top ones cannot do as well. NOD is doing well for me.

Best,
    Jerry

19. Simon6776

I've tried the stand alone AVG Anti Spyware, and found that OK, but haven't tried the AV or the Suite. I have a thing about Suites, and would probably give it a go, if I could find it cheap enough. Anyone know of a retailer selling AVG OEMs? ;)

Oh, and F-Secure has asked me to send yet another 'fsdaig'. :rolleyes: At least they're not ignoring me, but they aren't coming up with any solutions either.

20. lodore

lodore Registered Member

are you still using f-secure?
    or have you switched to another av while you wait?
    lodore

21. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hopefully FS will find the solution. I am not having trouble on my laptop.

Best,
    Jerry

22. Simon6776

Yes, I see no reason, apart from the annoyance, of not doing so. My security isn't being compromised. It's only the manual spyware scan that doesn't work, and I can use SAS for that. I might have gone back to KIS, but I understand there are some issues with MP2, and I don't miss all those PDM pop ups, and also, while I am still corresponding with F-Secure support, I wouldn't want to keep having to reinstall it to try out any other suggestions they may come up with.

I would be interested to give the AVG suite a try though.

23. Simon6776

Just as an update to this sorry saga, F-Secure told me yesterday that there are corrupt F-Secure files showing in the fsdiag, and to reinstall FSIS 2007. I had already reinstalled it three times, but I used the uninstallation tool, and followed that by CCleaner, and RegSupreme. After a reboot, I then went into Windows System Configuration, and disabled anything but essential Windows services, before reinstalling FS. After the installation, still with nothing but Windows services running, I tried the scan, and, as expected, it failed at about the same point again.

After reporting back to F-Secure yesterday, today they said that 'sbautoupdate.exe' was still on my system, even though I had already removed Spyware Blaster the other day. I feel we are just going round in circles. First they complain about other software, then they say reinstall FS, then it's back to other software again. I am starting to wonder if the support guys actually do know anything, or whether they are just working from scripts. I know it's difficult to diagnose problems remotely, but it's just getting silly now.

I like F-Secure, but not enough to format and reinstall Windows just to get the manual spyware scanner to work, but all the time it's not working, despite what I said before, it's bugging me. I will wait for their next response, but I think, after that, it will be time to move on and look for something else, or go back to KIS. I've been more than persistent in trying to get F-Secure to work, and have removed all other security from my PC. They can't ask for more, so it looks like bye bye F-Secure, once again, and hopefully the 2008 version will be better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.