Frustrated with cloning...

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by newcreation, Nov 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newcreation

newcreation Registered Member

It doesn't seem to matter what I do, I just can't seem to get the cloning feature to work correctly. I am trying to clone from one raid array to another, or from a raid array to a normal scsi drive and then back to the new raid array. What ever it takes, I don't care. The problem is that everything runs through as though it worked fine. But when I attempt to boot from the cloned drive or logical RAID drive, no go!. I need to get this working as my client is waiting to for me to get it finished so that they can use the new server with the identical settings and data as the old server. Could somebody please help me with this ASAP...?

2. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

What version and build number are you using?

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello newcreation,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please also create Acronis Report, please attach your cloned hard drive before running AcronisReport.exe (please see Acronis Help Post for the instructions) and then attach the report.txt file to your post? This will allow us to investigate the problem thoroughly.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

4. newcreation

newcreation Registered Member

I am using the latest trialware version found on the acronis website. I am evaluating True Image for our imaging solutions since every product I try seems to have problems with RAID array imaging. I downloaded Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server for Windows and installed and ran it. Acronis detected my two logical drives and performed the clone. The new logical drive set will not boot. When looking at the contents of the new logical drive all of the files seem to be there but there is no boot capability. The same thing happens if I try the same operation from a RAID set to an ordinary SCSI hard drive. I don't know what the build number is and the old server had to be put back into production since it is a Terminal Services server for our remote locations. I really need to get this working this week and any help you can provide is appreciated. Thanks.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello newcreation,

Please accept my apologies for the delay with the response.

The cloned operating system might not boot because of a lack of the appropriate drivers for the "destination" RAID controller. We also recommend you to unplug one of the hard drives\RAID arrays right after the disk cloning process has been finished, since keeping both original and cloned hard drives\RAID arrays connected might cause different boot or drive letter assignment problems.

Here is the basic scheme of transferring the operating system to a different hardware:

- Prepare your Windows for transferring using Microsoft System Preparation Tool (sysprep) as it is described in this FAQ article;

- Create an image of the prepared Windows;

- Restore this image to the desired location;

You can also use disk cloning approach instead of creating an image;

- Try to boot as usual;

- If it does not boot then please do the following (depending of the operating system you use):

- Boot the computer from Windows 95/98/ME Startup Disk and run "fdisk /mbr" command;

- Boot the computer from Windows 2000/XP Installation CD and run "fixmbr" command in Recovery Console;

- In case it still does not boot, perform Windows Repair Installation as it is described in Acronis Help Post.

Please be aware that we do not guarantee the successful transferring of your operating system to a different hardware. Actually, no one can guarantee this.

If that's not the case then please provide me with the following details:

- Describe your RAID arrays structure in more details (RAID arrays levels, type of RAID controllers, type of hard drives and their connection);

- Have you prepared your Windows for cloning using Microsoft System Preparation tool as it is described in this FAQ article?

- What operating system you use?

- Tell me whether you tried to perform the disk cloning process from under Windows or when booted from Bootable Rescue CD?

- What exactly happens when you try to boot from the cloned RAID array\SCSI hard drive? Have you received any error messages? What exact messages?

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.