From now all Rising Security Products will be free for personal use

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by sg09, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I started trying it out about 2 weeks ago and have been surprised and impressed. For free it may rank as one of the top 5 suites out there.

2. littlebits

littlebits Registered Member

If you download from Rising Global severs, then you get trialware.
    Download from their Chinese servers you get freeware.

Rising didn't make it clear when they announced their 2011 products would be freeware. They just posted it to their Chinese website thinking nobody from out of China would notice it. Now it is too late for them to say you can't have it for free if you don't live in China. The Chinese download links are out everywhere which includes freeware installers. Don't think they can do much about it now.

Thanks.:D

3. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I downloaded & installed RIS 2011 from global sites on 19th mar. No info/notification about trial by Rising during/after install. I am from India & today is 21 apr. Its been 32 days. Everything is working fine, update/upgrade, etc. Lets wait & watch if my Rising remains freeware or converts into trial. Mean while I have too sent a mail to Rising on this confusion. Lets see what they reply. Mostly they reply in 24 hours. So waiting for that & will post here. I have also mentioned in the mail that I have downloaded Rising from the global site & its acting as freeware instead of trial.

Thanxx
    Naren

4. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I remember a year or two ago ,this happened with the firewall that was offered free .Personally i think rising know what they are doing ,and its just a marketing ploy for those outside china to trial it by stealth .Lots of people wouldnt bother with a trial ,but if they think its free ,download and use it for a while ,then it may just grow on them and when they get the nag they may just buy it.
    ellison

5. khanyash

Well I am not going to buy any, especially when there are good, comparable & better freeware's.

Thanxx
    Naren

6. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Just to keep this thread updated, I have not received any reply yet to my last email to Rising. This is unusual as they are normally pretty prompt. No doubt this is requiring a degree of internal investigation :D

7. khanyash

I had requested info from Rising ----

"Recently I read Rising Personal Security Software, Rising Firewall, Antivirus & Internet Security are freeware now. The confusion is one of my friends says its freeware only in China & one of my friends says its freeware outside China too. Many people outside China are running the mentioned Rising software without any problems from both the sites Rising Chinese as well as Rising Global sites i.e even after the 30 days mentioned trial, the softwares are running fine after 30, ........etc days. The softwares are not expiring.
    So whats the fact Rising Softwares are freeware only in China or outside the China too. If they are only freeware in China then why people outside the China are able to run the softwares as freeware i.e no expiry even after 30, ........etc days".

Here is the reply I got today from the sales support of Rising.

"Rising Company executes freemium policy on its software for China market and this marketing strategy will not take any effect on its software product for global market".

Regards
    Naren

8. deadmeat

Thanks Naren - this confirms the same reply I received.
    So, unless something else changes we should see Softpedia reclassifying this software description or adding a proviso into the restrictions for China use only.

9. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

im sorry that is just dumb, them why not make the freeware only in Chinese?

10. khanyash

So anyone still running it? I have uninstalled it. I think they should make it freeware for everyone coz their AV is already free, just for Firewall they are keeping it away from everyone. Wot say frds??

Thanxx
    Naren

11. deadmeat

Well, I laid out what I thought was a pretty good argument with both commercial and human reasons why the firewall should be free too and very quickly received the reply above :) Considering this arrived only half an hour after I sent it, one wonders why the delay in commenting on the Softpedia links (by their business development team).

12. deadmeat

Noticed the Softpedia links have all gone back to "trial" now with the exception of the AV and PC Doctor.

13. littlebits

On their description but the free downloads links are still there but it says for Chinese Only now. Since their products are only free for Chinese, then how will they know that you are not Chinese? All of their products supports updates from proxy servers, just use a Chinese proxy if you think they might blacklist you for not being Chinese. The installers detect your default language. If it was just for Chinese then why make it available in all different languages?

I don't see any way Rising can enforce freeware to Chinese only the way that they are going especially after announcing all their product will be freeware starting March 18, 2011 on their website and on the license of these products it says the same thing, it says nothing about having to be Chinese to qualify.

14. khanyash

I reinstalled RIS 2011 again from the chinese site & its working fine, updating/upgrading, etc. Licence says RIS 2011 is freeware now. Previously I had uninstalled RIS 2011 coz its not freeware outside china but now I reinstalled it & going to use till they block my freeware. Anyone else running it inspite of it being only for china?? By the way no where in the news by Rising or the decription about it anywhere mentions its only for china. I browsed their china i.e original site with microsoft translater & there also its mentioned freeware & not freeware for china only.

Thanxx
    Naren

15. deadmeat

Just because it's possible doesn't make it right, but then it's not up to me to judge how individuals might regard such use. I remain happy that I've received an email from a senior figure within Rising stating that these products should only be used without paying inside China. Our own site certainly won't be promoting them in view of this directive.

16. littlebits

I'm not to judge how others take advantage of this free opportunity either, but it is Rising who is at fault for not stating this freeware was only for Chinese in first place. It is a little too late for Rising to now say if your not Chinese then it's not freeware. These download links and news of their products being freeware is posted all of the web. This is most definitely NOT a professional way to run a business. You can't go and tell users now, your not Chinese because you will have to buy a license. Do you really think any users who know about this free opportunity will go and buy Rising products after Rising not making it clear from the beginning that it only applies to Chinese?

So I personally don't believe these users who are taking advantage of this opportunity are doing anything wrong or illegal.

Rising has a pretty good track record in China for malware protection, but as for global, Rising products are only have decent protection except for their personal firewall which is pretty good but not worth buying when they are too many freeware options available.

I just don't understand Rising logic.

17. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

anyone know of a free vpn service with chinese servers (so your ip shows up as if coming from china)?

i occasionally use US-based vpn servers (bolehvpn (paid) or Hotspot Shield (free but with adware)) when i need to access my US paypal account or something like that from outside the US (otherwise paypal freezes my account). is there a chinese equivalent of hotspot shield?

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Why bother going through such measures now, when Rising isn't doing anything about non-Chinese users?

19. cm1971

cm1971 Registered Member

Especially when there are better products you could use anyway.

20. Vladimyr

Vladimyr Registered Member

Does Rising's "fault" sanction one's own? It may be that it's a bad way to run a business but whatever lack of respect or understanding we may have for the company, it is entirely up to Rising to define how they license the use of their products.
    Using any product in a manner which is outside the stated parameters of the owner/licensor is wrong and open to legal challenge in court.

21. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Does anyone have the exact wording of the license? What has been said here makes little sense wrt licensing. Is to for "Chinese" or for "China" only or what?

22. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

aren't they? a lot of people have posted that their products are only free for Chinese users? (most sites like youtube, paypal, etc. that restrict content based on country do it based on ip)

23. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

what are those better products? (i'm especially interested in minimal performance hit)

24. khanyash

Anyone running RIS 2011 can tell me if there is an entry related to it in msconfig - startup, there is no entry here on Win XP SP3. If I remember previously there use to be an entry like RSTray.exe or something but now there is none. Anything changed after product update. The latest version here is 23.00.30.45.

Thanxx
    Naren

Edit - Nowhere it is mentioned that it is freeware only for China. Even after knowing this they have not put up on their site that its freeware only for China. So if there is no mention of this & people are able to download & use it then I dont think its anything wrong or illegal. There is no info on their site or steps taken by them against this even after knowing this.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  25. littlebits

http://www.rising.com.cn/free/index.html (Chinese)
    http://translate.google.com/transla...en&u=http://www.rising.com.cn/free/index.html (Google Translate)

http://www.rising.com.cn/about/news/rising/2011-03-18/9095.html (Chinese)
    http://translate.googleusercontent....&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhgtPOp_Q49_3XEQAeB3cvlXe8X68g (Google Translate)

I just checked the license on Rising Firewall. See attachment.

As anyone can see Rising says nothing at ALL on their website or license that the freeware only applies to Chinese or China.

Apparently Rising has NOT clearly defined their license to say only for Chinese, because yes it is their fault not the users. How can they actually have any court case? because they would have to prove that they stated this in their license which they haven't and then they would have to prove that the individual users were not from China which they have no way of knowing. How could it be wrong or illegal?

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.