From Acronis to Paragon with a few questions

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by diabloNL, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. diabloNL

diabloNL Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I just moved from Acronis to Paragon Drive Backup Personal 9.0 and have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1) I received my license key and installed the software. But when installing it didn't ask for my license and also I can't find an option in the software to insert it. Is this correct?

2) I made a backup and tried to restore it with the linux recovery USB stick. I then select the partition where I want to restore my image and click on the "Recover from image" link on the left side. Then I select my image and the software tells me that this image can't be restored to that partition. However, if I go to the upper menu and select the recover image from there it does work after selecting the desired image. Anyone else experiencing this?

3) I understand that you get a year of free upgrades with your license. Does that also include mayor upgrades or not. With Acronis you would only get small upgrades.

4) Is it possible to see a version change history somewhere?

5) I first tried the free edition to see if it works and I noticed a difference with the paid version. First the installation file of the free version is bigger than the paid version!? Second, when I make a backup with the free edition and go into restore it will for example show "Win7 (C: )" as name. When I do the same backup now with the paid version it shows "local disk(*)" as the name. Is this a problem?

Sorry for the many questions! And many thanks in advance for any more info!

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

1) - Yes, it is correct.
    2) - The normal procedure in DB and other similar programs is: first select the image you want to restore, then select the location you want to restore it to.
    3) - I think it is the same.
    4) - I have never seen it.
    5) - I don´t use free editions, only Pro editions. I think they are better and include a WinPE boot disc (not the best WinPE disc, but usable...).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi DiabloNL,

Robin beat me to it.

I am sure when you get the hang of it - you will be happy with the DB products.

They always worked very well for me.

4. GrumpyAeroGuy

GrumpyAeroGuy Registered Member

ditto... also a formerly Acronis afflicted user here.

Have had only positive experiences with Paragon products. Welcome aboard.

5. diabloNL

Thanks guys for the welcome and thanks to Robin for the time to answer my questions. I would have gone for the Pro version but I found out right after the purchase that they had an Autumn special where you pay the same price for the pro version as the personal. Ah well...too late.

I'm still using Acronis TI11 for my other laptop and since it works for that one I leave it like that. Now I bought a netbook and was looking for a way to backup my W7 drive. After a lot of research I came to Paragon. What I really like is the option to make a bootable USB drive. Very handy with a netbook! ;)

I would have stayed with Acronis but I read to many negative things about version 2009 until the 2010 version.

I still would like to know if you guys also get the "local disk(*)" for the name when reviewing the info on the backup since the free version was showing it correct: "Win7(C: )"

Thanks again!

6. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

Not sure what you mean by reviewing info on the backup. Do you mean Archive View - then under the Source Object?

I believe that is the disk label that was assigned to the partition at the time you made the backup image.

PAR-SOURCE-OBJECT-2009-11-03_201619.jpg

You should have an option to assign a drive letter during restore - you may have left it at "None" ?

Lol - so many options - easy to miss it.

PAR-RESTORE-LETTER-2009-11-03_200436.jpg

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  7. diabloNL

Hi SIW2, thanks for your help.

It looks like this. Notice how it says "Basic Hard Disk 0".

Attached Files:

8. diabloNL

I just found out what is causing it. I'm backing up the whole drive including the MBR and first track. That's why it show it like that. If I only select the "Win 7" partition it does show the name.

I just want to make a backup of my whole HDD so that's why I selected the whole drive. Could you explain me what the first track is? I thought it was the MBR but I can select them independently. Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. Paragon_Tommy

Paragon_Tommy Paragon Moderator

They're one and the same thing. First Track is the location, MBR is the object.

Try selecting First Track but not MBR, won't happen.

10. diabloNL

Thanks Tommy for clearing that up!

EDIT: With my last backup it suddenlty is showing my drive type instead of Unknown..weird:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.