From 200GB reserved sections for FD-ISR

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by EASTER.2010, Mar 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Believe me, I do not take your posts personally. I don't mix my system and data files. Also, I don't do what my boss thinks is right. I do what I think is right for my particular needs after testing.

That is the reason I posted my thoughts on using the 3 programs together....Speed, flexibility, efficiency and layered backup. These 3 programs working together provide the system that I need for doing testing and they are more flexible, use less space and are faster than what you suggest for my needs.

Please don't take it personally, I just write posts.

Silver

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Well it's enough for me that BOTH of you "Please don't take it personally, I just write posts", because there is always good information that results from your own hands-on comparisons and like others am glad you take the time to share both your thoughts and opinions, and opinions are made to differ just as suggestions are made to be seriously considered. (I think that makes sense, it to me anyway :blink: )

On a more lighter note, and more to the point, looks to me like the complete RECOVERY solution is as close as your most acceptable imaging program working in tandem with FD-ISR.
    I know a lots also been made of late of single-dimensional recovery techniques but those are not even in the same league with FD-ISR nor can be IMO.
    You can enjoy those same priveledges in FD-ISR in FREEZE mode on a snapshot, and so on. (Why would i insist PS for minor shadowing) when the same and more is available with FD? Maybe for sentimental values as well as proven stability over it's competitors like Faronics DP, Sandboxie. I never got those programs to last more then a day on my boxes. Who knows?

What i do know is that works for you may not for some others but is still good to see even aggressive points being made in favor of or against one program to the other. Makes for some really good practice at home with what works best for you and the discovery of beneficial features that you might would otherwise have completely overlooked.

BTW, i do mix data & system files :doubt: but getting a little better at keeping most of them apart now. I never suffered complete annihilation at the workings of any of the worse malwares but been on the receiving end of enough of them to realize that you never take matters for granted when it comes to a $M system in any version. They are designed for one purpose and one purpose only IMO, "education only/platform to build from" for extending & encouraging development of new softwares & companies the world over and if that indeed was it's sole purpose, then it's met with resounding success.
    Guess that's also why $M now takes it sweet old time in getting around to each new version. They've already reaped more massive rewards in revenue then they will ever need again.

A little OT i know but i always like to touch on & share some of these views that make up the whole picture, so to understand exactly why programs like FD are so important & what exactly is neccessary to protect our interests.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

How am I going to explain to an average user that he LOST all his RBRx-snapshots after a bare metal restore ? They are not going to laugh with it. They WORK with these computers, they don't play with them.
    I work for all employees in the company, not just me.

4. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Erik,

As I have mentioned many times on this forum, each user has his own needs and ways of using a computer.

I made the posts to enlighten those who may be using their computers in a way that is similar to mine. I have certainly received many tips in these forums from others, including you, who have made the same types of posts.

Silver

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

My planning is to open up some free space on one the 3 partitions, say drive A for discussion purposes. PARAGON Hard Disk Manager will do the duty of Resizing.
    With PARAGON Drive-Copy i expect to copy a partition from the other, say B Drive in my dual-drive setup to store it there either permanantly or temporary.

My question is this: Will i encounter any problems with FD-ISR when engaging in this drive manipuation. I want to ask first instead of diving in and then it becomes neccessary maybe to have to re-install FD because of this jockeying around with partitions & using these programs to make the required modifications i expect.

And one final inquiry please. When defragging, is it preferred to only defrag the Primary, or can you safely defrag the snapshots also after booting to them, then updating over other snapshots.
    I find FD-ISR amazingly rapid in updating and frankly that fascinates me to no end.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2007
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

HI Easter

When you defrag(and I only use Perfect Disk, so that is my reference) it defrags everything, including all snapshot. I only defrag from the primary, but I am told it doesn't matter.

On the partitioning, when I was messing around with testing Shadowprotect, I was shrinking, and sliding partitions around like crazy. Machine booted, and I didn't see any effect on First Defense.

I will post the results of another crazy test I just did in a new thread.

Pete

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks Pete.

Your answer relieves at least some of the burden of that nagging suspicion which always haunted me when manipulating partitions with various disk programs. Now enter FD-ISR. LoL
    I like everything to go as planned the first time if at all possible. I now use DiskTrix UD for defrag since it appeals to me even over PD which i find equally efficient but somewhat not quite to my liking. UD on the other hand does what suits my expectations and for me anyway is more enlightening. Guess i just like the added benefit of a realistic overview display it provides as well as boosts performance.

Waiting on your new testing results..........

8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Peter2150 and anyone else already well versed with FD-ISR, i have some questions if you don't mind.

I can foresee at this point not running out of space althought some reduction is noticably bringing me to ask this, i have an interest in taking one of those 3 partitions to further expand my C:\ drive where fd resides and stocks snapshots. Whats your take on this? If i use my Hard Drive manager to "resize" by adding additional space from one of the other partitions, can you say with certainty this will not effect FD in any way?

I just feel inclined to open up some more room and borrow it from my H:\ Warehouse partition that holds some 60MB as of right now. What is your educated assessment on doing this. I only need the Warehouse partion to store Archives and some other lesser quantity files and it leaves plenty of room which i don't see ever using much IMO. I regulary pull the plug and switch internal drives at will after storing some FD archives and copying other needed programs for safekeeping in the future.

Thanks.

9. Peter2150

Hi Easter
    Some of the guys would say I am the wrong person to ask. For example on my intel machine, my c: drive is a 2 drive raid array which adds up to 640gb. I have a 2nd internal drive which is 320gb, and an external USB drive which is 500gb. I only have one(yep one) partition on each drive.

I don't bother with partitions and it has worked well for me, so I guess my answer would be shrink the other partitions as you deem appropriate.

Pete

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I am quite the elementary one when it comes to something like this i never had much luck in let alone experience. So you're suggesting that regardless that my C:\ drive, which rests a very good working FD-ISR atm, it can be considered routine and safe to manipulate, in this case add more space (NTFS) to it in order to expand and i shouldn't need be concerned FD would get moved out from order of it's current station so-to-speak to invoke any errors.
    Your right, you can let your imagination run wild with FD and the choices as well as the experimenting with many options are limitless to an extent.

I'll be using the merging method to add space to it. I had no idea when i began all this size would become something to keep an eye on, and the 7 snaps i now have may increase by only 1, but i feel better to see the pie chart more open in case i get greedy with multiple configurations at some point not to mention the likelihood of introducing yet more programs to a snapshot. The archives are of no real concern, theres plenty of available room for them.

11. Peter2150

Hi Easter

As I said in another post, I don't have large collections of photo's, music or video's. My "data" isn't that big and doesn't grow that much, so the one disk, one partiton has worked well for me. No data loss, no security issues. I've also dropped any Anchoring in FDISR. However I do backup my data independent of disk imaging.

Pete

12. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Darn dial-up, you get everything typed and down goes the connection and so goes your post. Bahhh! Gonna back on hi-speed again soon.

Well, PARAGON HardDrive Manager easily expanded the C:\ partition for extra space to support the swelling of my snaps :D
    The archives are almost exclusively stored to other partitions and alternative "metal" drives either in or out of the tower as needed for convenience.

The resize was neccessary since i do a lot of Flash/Video/Music editing and i work with MSagent animated characters and editing of those also, so the additional space is welcome. FD-ISR continues to go off without a hitch or blur. Really nice stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.