Fresh Malware with No Known Family Discovered in Targeted Attack

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Minimalist, May 9, 2017.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

2. itman

itman Registered Member

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  3. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Way to go Cylance:thumb: I wonder how many use Cylance on this forum besides me?

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I'm still waiting for a standalone version. Apparently Cylance doesn't need to use the cloud, so why do they refuse to release it? I've also read it generate lots of false positives, so that may be the problem.

5. boredog

They do have a stand alone version. That is what I am using. It is through Malware Managed. If you subscribe to their yearly sub you get access to your very own portal. From that portal you can waive any file they tag if you are sure it is not a baddie. I think the most of the time those false positives are from sigs or the packing programs the program uses. On your portal you can also click analyze the file on Virus Total like Voodoo does.

Or by stand alone do you mean a program that does never need internet access? Very few do these days.

6. Rasheed187

With standalone I mean a version that isn't controlled by "Malware Managed". I've read about Cylance on their own blog, and they say they don't need the cloud, so all behavior watching (via AI) is done locally on the system itself. So it doesn't even need to be connected to the internet.

7. boredog

And I have their access blocked via firewall , unless I want to do a Virus Total check.
    BUT I probably don't need it via all my other security. BUT like all you I love to test software and have done so for a very long time. Like I said before I was here during the first 1000 members. You may have been on of them, I can not remember. I do remember a bunch that were. And again even though the current records only go back to 2002. I was here in the 90's and so no I am not a newbie. Just letting you know is all.

8. Rasheed187

Yes you already mentioned this, what was your original nickname? And I hope you now know what I mean. Cylance keeps boasting that they got great detections rate without having to use signatures/heuristics like traditional AV's, so bring it on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.