Fresh install of new RegDefend?

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Rilla927, Sep 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Need some advice. I have to do a fresh install of OS and all my programs. Should I put RegDefend on before I load up my programs or the other way around?

I know some of Tony, Puf, Kent etc ghost files were included in the new release. What ones were not included in the new release that I should add to RegDefend? Auto update or manual?

Thanks in advance.

Rilla927

2. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

If you are confident that the source of your programs can be trusted, by that I mean they are not infected with any type of malware, I would say load them first and then RegDefend. That way their installers will not cause any RD alerts and delay the install process any, no matter how minimal the time may be.

As I understand it, the majority of their .ghst file items is incorporated into the default 2.0 rule sets. Also there may be some incompatibility with the wildcards in the old (v1.3) rule sets and the v2.0 implementation of wildcards. Personally I have not loaded them, and will wait until they release updated versions before doing so. By that is just my 2¢, and you may get different opinions from others here.

3. Rilla927

Thanks Desciple for your response.

All of my trusted programs are on disk and ready to go. I have another question; what is this "Wild Card" used for? :D

Rilla927 ;)

4. Disciple

Disciple Registered Member

Read the Help File item Advanced - Wildcards. It explains what they are about and how they are use much better than I can.

5. Rilla927

I currently don't have RegDefend installed. I haven't for a while now, because I wanted to understand more about the program first, how to handle it.

As soon as I get my OS disk in the mail from vendor I will be doing a fresh install of OS and softwares. That's why all the questions, so I will understand what I have to do before I do it, rather than going on the blind like I did the first time with it. ;)

One more question :oops:

Once RegDefend is installed and you need to install software; do you need to disable protection/ close RegDefend down or anything a long those lines? :D

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi Rilla927,

I'm no expert about RegDefend but I can tell you something that might partly answer your question. Last week i wanted to reinstall NOD32 and I usually shut down programs which might hamper any new installation. I shut down RegDefend and ProcessGuard and I just couldn't reinstall NOD32! After posting at Wilders, somehow it dawned on me the thought that perhaps RegDefend, even disabled might have locked the registry and stop NOD from installing properly. As soon as I uninstalled RegDefend everything was fine.
    If i had to reformat, i would install Regdefend after the other programs or if you install it first, keep it active and let it go through the alerts even though that might be time consuming.

7. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Rilla927,
    The good news is that Regdefend doesn't need to be uninstalled in order to stop prompting during installations because it has a "<DISABLED>" profile

Simply open up the RegDefend GUI and in the drop down box that most likely says "RDStandard", choose "<DISABLED>" and then RegDefend will be present but inactive

Osaban,
    When you closed the RD Gui the blocks were happening without prompting by design (in order to protect your security). The <DISABLED> profile would have done what you were after and saved you the trouble of uninstall and reinstall

Regards

8. Rilla927

Hey, Thanks Osaban & Gottadoit! :)

Okay,so RD is like PG: Disable protection and exit. The very first time I ever installed RD was about 5 or 6 months ago and I made the fatal mistake of uninstalling the program with the "protection still enabled". Even after reformatting, I tried installing it again, and it had a very clear memory of an exact replica of all settings, etc. I just didn't know how to answer what RD was asking. So I though I would leave off for now, until a later date where I felt more comfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.