fresh download manager\\CAUTION

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by snowman, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowman

snowman Guest

since its not my way to flame.....I will make this as brief and polite as possible:

After installing Fresh Download Manager....rebooting........I connected to the internet an noticed an immediate change....bear in mind that I had not as yet even opened Fresh Download Manager....

suddenly pictures and all that other junk started showing........wanting to see what was happening I proceeded to the download page here.......an proceeded to download a program......Fresh Download Manager worked as nice as apple pie......an then suddenly it hit me....my security programs were being bypassed........

In short Fresh Download Manager had bypassed an made useless two proxies.....an who knows what else......CSS script long ago blocked suddenly appeared........an more.

un-installing  Fresh Download Manager did not resolve the problem...nor did cleaning the registry....it took a complete system restore to return my computer to normal.

No..I wont  "put down" this program....instead I'll just issue a warning to others to remain alert to this issue if you decided to use Fresh Download Manager.

snowman

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Thanks, Snowman.  I also use this - mainly because it's endorsed here at Wilders.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

The experience sounds horrible. Are you sure there did not come an infection somehow on your system, causing this? I'm really sorry you got this. Hope you got your system back and stabile as before.
    Thank you for the sophistic way of describing, as i think the forum bad word filters would have worked in overtime.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Could not reprocude this; Checkout, since you are running the app as well: did you encounter the same happening?

regards.

paul

5. Checkout

Paul, no, I haven't seen anything like that.  Mind you, I've been a little troubled by how many new versions they've put out recently, and the kind of advertising and number of cookies used on their site...

6. Paul Wilders

Checkout,

Glad to hear so. Seems not to be related to the software.

Well, new versions do not bother me that much, as long as they are improvements, and cookies can be dealt with. Advertising: fully agreed. All in all, I would prefer Download Manager anyway.

regards.

paul  

7. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

I am using this application for 3 weeks and I did not encounter anything similar. I have the latest version as well. There is something other going on....

Technodrome

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Truely my experience with the mentioned program was rather shocking.....in fact. its the first time I ever had any program completely alter my security...

Fresh Download Manager made my security programs the same as if they did not exist.......<<<.ADSHIELD WOULD NOT WORK AT ALL>>>>
    ....although I did not leave FDM on long enough to test to see just how many other of my security programs were effected.....for sure the proxies were...am the settings in Internet Explorer were absolutely ignorred....
    I can't say with any degree of certain if the antiivirus anf trojan scanners were effected....

Paul,, as best I can tell in so brief a time that FDM was on my machine.....it was as if I had installed a new browser an the other programs were no longer compatable.......perhaps if there is an answer to what FDM did it would be found in asking why Adshield and the proxies stopped filtering.....another thing perhaps I should mention is that my settings in all zones of internet explorer had "download files" disabled an FDM totally bypassed those settings an downloaded a program.......naturally I have to question what if any other setting in internet explorer was ignnored....could cookies...activeX...Java..also suddenly work??/

I try differant programs on a regular basis....an have never experience this sort of behavior before.

In my particular case...an I say this specifically in regards to myself.......I must consider Fresh Download Manager as a super major security risk.......in my time using a computer I have never said that about any program.........sure it downloaded a program really well...no complaint on how well it downloads.....only that it bypasses security programs on my computer.....

Paul I am willing to install FDM again to see if the same behavior occurs....it will have to be a few hours from now when I a snap shot of my os is in memory so I can do a system restore afterwards....that was the only way to return my system to normal.

snowman

9. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

If you can reproduce the problem, I wonder if DCS can help with some analysis?

10. snowman

snowman Guest

to those using FDM.....which version do you have?

I just re-downloaded this program.......the version I get is 3.75....size 1375 KB    release date 5-2-02....this downloaded directly from their website.    I just want to make double certain everything was in order with my first download.

snowman

11. snowman

snowman Guest

CHECKOUT

as long as my firewall isn't effected I am willing to be open-minded an see if the problems is replicated....
    I have a few backup security programs I can use if needed to protect the computer from any changes made to internet explorer...........but I do have to wait for a snap shot of my os to be taken so I can do a restore afterwards...............

snowman

12. Checkout

Weird, my last post disappeared!  To repeat, I'm using 3.75 also, and now I'm seeing strange things:
    • IE's status bar keep disappearing
    • Windows Update won't work and I can't figure out why
    • There's no traffic going through JAP anymore

This needs checking out further....

13. Paul Wilders

snowman,

Looking forward to the results - using the last 3 versions I could not reproduce the behaviour you described.

Checkout,

sort of in the dark here: if I understand correctly, first the app didn't cause any trouble - and all of the sudden now it does?

regards.

paul

14. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

I should have made myself more clear.  I've been having those problems I wrote about, but it never occurred to me that FD might be the culprit.

15. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Check out did you try uninstalling it and seeing if problem still persists ?

Technodrome

16. Checkout;

Checkout; Guest

Trying that now...

17. snowman

snowman Guest

Ok...I now have a new snapshot of my os an will re-install FDM.......after doing so it will only that me a few minutes to re-boot and re-connect to the internet....an I'll notice any if any changes immediately.

as a matter of information...while waiting for a new snapshot of my os......I ran a complete defrag....a "through" scan....ran both virus and trogan scans......took a snap of the registry.....checked all setting in security programs plus internet explorer....triple checked the registry for any possible "trash"    cleaned temp folder......etc..etc..

will return with the results

snowman

18. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

It occured to me, while reading this, that the problem (at least, with AdShield not working) could lie with Fresh Download adding its own Browser Help Object (BHO).

Many version of IE/Windows have a bug/limitation where only one or a couple BHOs are actually initialized. Thus, installing Fresh Download *could* be "knocking-off" the AdShield BHO.

A quote from the Ad-Shield site:
    Just FYI.

-javacool

19. snowman

snowman Guest

UPDATE OF RE-INSTALL RESULTS

Have re-install FDM an I AM NOT EXPERIENCING THE SAME RESULTS AS THE PREVIOUS INSTALL!!!!!!!

REPEAT:   results not the same....so far I have not noticed that security programs are bypass in any way.

I will re-boot...an DL a program...to see if any thing changes.

SNOWMAN

20. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Well that's certainly a good sign.

Interesting though...

-javacool

21. snowman

snowman Guest

****BAD NEWS ON RESULTS***

well the bad results relicated themself....the moment I downloaded a program I lost my security.

it appears that by it took actually using FDM to download.....that is when it bypassed the security programs.....

I am satisfied that the bad results are related entirely to Fresh Download Manager.....an that the bad results will be replicated over and over......

as everyone can clearly see I have been very open-minded and fair-minded on this issue.....

no, I will not\would not use FDM .....an yes I have no choice but to consider it a major security risk.   An no I don't relish saying this about any program......

Snowman

going clean his computer  LOL

22. snowman

snowman Guest

Well I am back.....cleaned the ye ole computer and did a system restore an everything is back to normal.......which again verifies that the cause of the problem was Fresh Download Manager.

The fact that FDM bypasses proxies imo makes it an enormous privacy risk.....it certainly has to be questioned if once the proxy settings are bypass will the  filters for Referrers...pop-ups..scripts...an so forth become useless?   I wont "guess" at answering this question....an only say that if the proxy was bypassed it would seem to become absolutely useless in filtering.

My firewall did continue to work properly...I didn't bother checking to see if Adshield was working because it seemed rather pointless....once FDM bypassed the proxy that ended its usefulness for me.

Fresh Download Manager may well be an excellant download manager...may be as fast as lightening... however if,, an it does..present any risk by using it..then I choose my security before speed of downloads.

the possible explanation offered by Javacool may be the cause of the problem...I wont venture to speculate on the cause.......in all honesty I don't like having to report the bad results I experienced....yet it may prevent someone from being un-expectedly experiencing the same results.

I sincerely hope that my post has been polite when explaining the bad results.....certainly I wont presume to suggest that FDM should not be used...once again this is an entirely personal choice....not every computer user has the same needs...and likes..

Regards

Snowman

23. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hello,

I do not know if this would have made a difference, but FDM does have settings under options for proxies.  Did you set this before you tried it?

I have used FDM for several months and have had no problems.  I also use a proxy (The Proxomitron).

Regards,
    Kent

24. snowman

snowman Guest

PUFF

yes I tryed both ways..without entering the proxy settings and also entering the proxy settings....same results either way.

Truefully I sincerely hope that this is a mistake on my part......I can face being wrong if need be...believe me I am an extremely fair person.

snowman

P.S.     I must admit that I do find it strange that I am the only person having the bad results.....surely someone would have noticed the behavior before now.

25. snowman

snowman Guest

As previously stated..I am a fair ..an as such will say that since I am the only person out of several who have experience bad results using Fresh Download Manager.......then the problem may be elsewhere....such my the settings on my computer or some other software thats installed.....

Unless someone else can confirm the behavior that I experienced...then I must say that my report of those actions should be ignnored......an thats about as fair as a person gets.....LOL

Snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.