Freeware for commercial use

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Pedro, Jul 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I recently started searching for freeware that is legal in a business environment.

We all know and use freeware at home, but a lot of it need purchasing if we are to use it, legally, at work. Which is fine, but i want to know where i stand, and that is not always clear.

Free software, as in GPL and BSD style licensed software are obvious if we can obtain a copy for free (practically all of them). Those are not the problem.

For instance, can anyone tell me if i can use AVZ at work? I really don't know, and Softpedia tells me it's "100% clean", but not "100% free".

Here's a good initiative on Donation Coder's forums:
    fully-free software for biz - the lists !

For anyone interested, follow the sauce i say. More links in page 2 on that forum.
    Do you know of more? Any program listed incorrectly?

2. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Here is a translation of the AVZ Antiviral Toolkit EULA dated in 2007. It is my understanding that this was before Kaspersky acquired it. I do not know if the EULA was changed.

EULA

1. All Rights Reserved to the author of the program – Oleg Zaytsev (http://z-oleg.com/secur);

2. AVZ (hereafter the Toolkit) is a free program and is implemented for non-commercial usage;

3. The author possesses the right to cancel the given terms of use for any version of the Toolkit;

4. The Toolkit can be distributed freely if the program is not changed in any way. No person or organization can sell the Toolkit without a written permission of the author.

5. The Toolkit is distributed “as is”. No warranty is provided. You use the program at your own risk. The author is not responsible in any way for any loss or damage of information, problems with other programs and the operating system and any missed profits caused by the incorrect use of the Toolkit. By default the Toolkit runs in analytical mode without any changes to the operating system. The Perform Healing option is consciously chosen by the user.

6. It is forbidden to copy the Toolkit, emulate it, develop new versions, lease, sell, modify, decompile, disassemble, study the code of the program and use the Toolkit in any other ways than those indicated in the given EULA. Any such illegal use is considered as an automatic and immediate revocation of the given EULA and can be prosecuted.

7. All rights not indicated explicitly in the given EULA are reserved to the author.

8. The fact of use of the Toolkit or installation of its additional tools on any computer you own or use suggests that you understand and agree to the given EULA.

9. If for any reason you disagree to the given EULA, you are obliged to delete all files of the Toolkit distribution from your storage resources and stop using the program.

3. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

What i thought, no AVZ :/
    GMER seems to be the same, though i don't see anything specific.
    Sysinternals, Nirsoft and WSCC are OK i think.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.