Freeware Alternatives to VLC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I decided to install potplayer since I've been having a problem with some MP4 files. RealPlayer can't play them at all and while Windows Media Player can play the video there's no sound. Potplayer can play the videos but there's still no sound. The same is true with VLC. The videos have sound on Youtube and I've been using the RealPlayer browser plugin to download them. I've already updated all of the codecs on the system, but no joy.

Edit: Problem turned out to be the RealPlayer download plugin. I switched to a different youtube downloader and the problem is solved.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  2. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

Good choice. SMPlayer is excellent. The only thing I've tweaked with it is that I created a custom skin to use different icons. I've also used other versions of mplayer.exe that were compiled for my processor. I thought it might make a difference performance-wise, but honestly I didn't notice anything. It has always run flawlessly for me, so I don't have much else to add in the way of tips.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I take it that SMPlayer works with AMD processors?

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Of course; why wouldn't it work with AMD processors?

5. Daveski17

I just wondered if there had been any issues as one of my computers has an AMD processor.

6. Daveski17

The bug seems to have been fixed in VLC 2.0.7. Either way, SMPlayer still looks nice & it's always good to have alternatives!

7. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Essentially I know nothing about this subject. For that matter, I presume my audio/video requirements are so elementary, that I can't recall ever having a problem. So my question is, about weekly, majorgeeks offers K-Lite and the Sharks codecs, which based on the descriptions, provide the codecs for most of the players one might have installed. Again, maybe I don't understand what is happening with those codec releases. I've started to install them but I never had a problem prior to doing that so perhaps it's just a waist.

8. Daveski17

I'm the same really, I only ever play the occasional DVD, 3gp files & perhaps a few other formats occasionally. VLC seems to be able to play anything without any extra codecs. I was worried that if they didn't fix the audio problem I was having with 3gp videos I would need an alternative player. My ultimate back-up is the free version of QuickTime, which to be fair, isn't bad. It's a bit sluggish at first on my notebook though. So I wondered about alternatives. So far, SMPlayer is the best alternative IMO. Fortunately VLC 2.0.7 is now working well. I do like the look of SMPlayer though.

9. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I'm still wondering if installing the codecs I mentioned would have corrected your problem with VLC or my understanding of those is incorrect?

10. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

VLC uses its own internal codecs so, AFAIK, no it wouldn't have helped.

11. Daveski17

My guess is that it was just a bug as for the past five years VLC has worked fine for me on multiple computers. Either way, it's fixed now.

12. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

13. Daveski17

14. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

http://www.light-alloy.ru/

Light Alloy is made in Russia! Yes, Light Alloy can play 3gp's as well a lot of other different file types. Pretty good video player not so good and lightweight as PotPlayer.

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It is a waste, codec packs can cause a lot of inexplicable issues. I tried them myself before VLC, and all the minor bugs/performance issues was infuriating. So it's not just a waste of time, space, bandwidth, and attack surface. Granted I don't have recent experience, but they're simply unnecessary at best.

16. Daveski17

OK thanks for the info. :thumb:

17. Daveski17

I tend to agree with you. This is why I would prefer to use a player that can run the files that I want without adding a zillion codecs.

18. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

It plays everything i threw at it.Things that i like at this player (among many many others)are...
    -it shows the battery level on the screen,optional
    -the subtitle settings are simply awesome
    -can run multiple instances of it (my favorite)
    -autopower control and alarm
    -cool zoom, horizontal and vertical
    and many many more....Not even a paid player has all these features.And it not feels heavy at all on my system,on the contrary,PotPlayer did.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
  19. Daveski17

Well, it certainly seems one that I will keep an eye on. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.