Freeware Alternatives to VLC?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Daveski17, Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Does anyone use a freeware alternative to VLC? I have had to revert to VLC 2.0.5 as I have had some audio playback problems in 3gp video files. WMP can't play these files & I used to use QuickTime before I used VLC. Hopefully, this audio problem (which I have noticed on multiple computers) will be fixed in the 2.0.7 release of VLC (unless they go to a 2.1 release).

I find QuickTime a bit heavy & sluggish sometimes & one of the things I liked about VLC was its lightness & speed. If VideoLan can't fix this problem in future releases I will no doubt have to find a freeware equivalent, unless I use QuickTime. I know there are some good freeware players out there, so:

A/ What do you recommend?

B/ Can it play 3gp files?

C/ Why do you recommend this player?

Thank you.

2. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

Daum PotPlayer because:

- No Spyware, NO adware.
    - Fast and lightweight.
    - Plays 1080p MKV files, and other 'huge' files even on old systems with small amount of resources without any problems.
    - No need for external codecs or codec packs, everything it's built-in, so if you have some 'exotic' video format that doesn't play in VLC or MPC-HC, in PotPlayer will be fine.
    - Very actively developed and frequent updates.
    - Did I say it's FREE?

-http://codecpack.co/download/PotPlayer.html

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I've tried many free media players and right now I've settled on KM Player for video. There are lots of reasons I like it, including a wealth of options and compared to VLC the options are straightforward and easy to understand. But the main thing I like about it is the video quality looks better than any of the others I've tried. Its file association manager shows you can associate 3GP with it so I assume it'll play 'em, I've never actually tried it though. If you have 7-Zip you can unpack the setup file and try it first without having to install.

4. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

I'd also vote for Pot Player and KMPlayer. The only thing that I do not want in KMPlayer is the ApnToolbarInstaller :(

5. NSG001

NSG001 Registered Member

6. Daveski17

That looks very nice. I think this is my number one alternative at the moment. Thanks.

7. Daveski17

8. Daveski17

OK, thanks. What's ApnToolbarInstaller?

9. Daveski17

OK, thanks.

10. Daveski17

11. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

12. Daveski17

13. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Using it for the last couple of years.Fantastic video player.
    It plays just about anything.
    If GOM doesn't support your file format, you're not out of luck. The application includes a Codec Finder service that tells you which codec you need, and points you to sources for downloads and more information about the codecs.

Note:
    Take care when installing.Untick Appgraffiti browser add-on when installing.

14. PaulBB

PaulBB Registered Member

KMPlayer comes with various (optional) toolbars such ASK Toolbar, Pandora Service etc...
    GOM Player installer also comes bundled with ASK or AVG Toolbar; as for the GOM Player features it was great few years ago, now is surpassed by PotPlayer, MPC-HC and others in terms of features.

15. Daveski17

OK, thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

16. Daveski17

OK thanks. Pot looks good. Although really I hope VLC get their act together.

17. Boost

Boost Registered Member

18. Romagnolo1973

Romagnolo1973 Registered Member

i use Media Player Classic - Home Cinema because is the only that does not need direct x9 installed in your system, PotPlayer, KMP, GOM, VLC, Media Player Classic BE ... all needs dx9 installed

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I've been using SMPlayer for a few years, (prior to this i was using GOM) and have been happy enough with its performance to not consider switching to anything else.

It is another player which does not need external codecs to play various video formats.

20. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

@ Daveski17

Hi, i'm using VLC v2.0.2 with no issues, video or audio

3.png

So it seems like it's just newer V's !

Thanks to members who posted several alternatives, some i'd not heard of before :thumb:

21. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Been trying PotPlayer. Nice job of video rendering. But, it's NOT without caveats.

1. It creates a Windows Firewall rule. (I deleted the rule and it seems to stay deleted. But will likely come back when I install the next update.)

2. It wants the user to update DirectX if your version is older. Not particularly a bad thing. But it does want it. The update link PotPlayer suggests is NOT from Microsoft's site. I closed the link it suggested and went to MS direct.

3. From what I've read, English based users should NOT allow it to auto update. That will give you the Korean version.

22. Daveski17

Actually, thinking about it, this would more likely be my choice now. PortableApps do a version as well. According to MPC Home there have even been some problems with fake apps on Windows apps store.

Either way, if it runs 3gp files well, it will most probably be the one I will go for. Especially if I can try the PortableApps version first.

23. Daveski17

Thanks for the head's up. :thumb:

24. Daveski17

Yeah, I'm so glad I held on to the old 2.0.5 installer. I often keep older installers for a while just in case the newer version (of any app) causes problems & I need to revert. Hopefully they will fix this in 2.0.7!

I suppose every app has its day & eventually something happens & they get replaced. I have always thought VLC was incredibly reliable though. I really do hope this is just a bug.

25. Daveski17

Yeah, MPC looks good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.