FreeBSD , OpenBSD what's so good about them?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by ComputerSaysNo, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gentoo64

Gentoo64 Registered Member

I agree with above, it all depends on what environment you're in. Gentoo would be suitable for some but not all servers, but if you want a Linux server as secure as it can be, or specifically set up, then I find it does automate things well.
    It gives you a decent amount of choice, the stable branch is tested and stable, and it's easy to change on a per package or global basis, but compiling isn't practical on all systems, neither is setting up your own binary repo (you could obviously compile for generic but at the same time you could not compile at all).
    The configuration settings can be updated easily with a command, and most things do come with sane defaults, but I think things should be configured 100% properly beforehand anyway.
    I don't have experience with larger servers but I think its good for small and easier to manage ones.

2. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Trying OpenBSD

At long last, I decided to give OpenBSD a try. I installed it and booted to a graphical window manager! But that was all; I could not figure out how to go any further. How do I open a web browser in OpenBSD?

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

4. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Thanks for the link. I looked at that already. If the answer is in there, I don't see where.

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

At the link.

6. Andz

Andz Registered Member

Is there a command to open Lynx?
    (Maybe that's what I should have asked in the first place.)

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

8. Andz

Andz Registered Member

I tried that and I get an error message. Thanks for the links. I think I will just stick with easier software like Ubuntu. It was fun to try.
    Carry on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.