Free vs Paid

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mike6080919395, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike6080919395

Mike6080919395 Registered Member

Hello I need some advice when it comes to choosing the right security software options.

I want to be able to login to my work's network securely
    I want to be able to check my bank account info and know that my purchasing info is secure.
    I want to be able to stream movies on netflix, amazon, and browse general websites.

Now that you know what I am doing with this pc, do you recommend a subscription to Avira premium or the most downloaded free av from cnet download.com

I have heard that when it comes to overall detection avira is the best, but as a user just doing general things is it worth the subscription cost and the high system resource usage? My main fear is stolen bank account information for this reason I have developed a proceedure I follow anytime I make a purchase or login to my bank account.

I login to my bank account thru firefox
    I logout and immediately, hit clear history, erase everything
    run ccleaner
    run reg cleaner
    wipe new free space with 5-7 passes
    delete all temp data by right clicking on c: and choosing tools
    defrag
    restart the pc

Does running avira vs running avast make all that much difference when it comes to general usage? I'm very new to viruses and such so I have to ask when are you at risk of getting your bank info stolen? Should I be so paranoid that I always do the above proceedure immediately after logging out and I reset the firewall before logging in to a bank website each time or making a single transaction, just incase if a hacker has modified the firewall ruleset. I'm thinking that this is overly paranoid, but at the same time I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I'm wondering if there is really a reason to be this weary of using online banking and making online purchases and if choosing avira is a waste of money for general usage.

I want something that is safe and lightweight that doesn't eat up alot of system resources.

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Check the Poll forum and see what other members chose as their choice of protection. Thread closes as per TOS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.