Free Virtual Machine Software?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by firzen771, Nov 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bman412

bman412 Registered Member

Installed virtualbox and tested an nlited XPSP3 iso. So far so good :thumb: I was wondering though which VM has support for 3D games. Anyone? :)

2. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

none..virtual environments do not yet support directX..and will not for a long time too

3. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

The latest vmware workstation 6.5 supports directx 9 applications on windows xp guests. I haven't personally tested it yet so i don't know what limitations there may be but i've heard of other users running battlefield, unreal tournament, WOW and even the recent game Spore successfully.

4. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

oh my..im so left behind :O will try it when i get time..

5. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just did a little test. Here's Far-Cry running inside a virtual machine! I set it to 800x600 resolution with low detail and it was easily playable.

Attached Files:

6. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

I used the both and didn't find too much inconvinience in the free version. So my vote is for VM server.

7. gogetadbl

gogetadbl Registered Member

There's also Xen if you want a Linux backend, however finding good video drivers may be difficult. It's used mostly for research purposes though and commercial use isn't too high up there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.