Free Thunderbird Mail Client

Discussion in 'polls' started by crockett, Sep 30, 2003.

?

Ever tried the Thunderbird Mail Client ?

1. Never heard of it...

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. I did, but noticed flaws, i.e....

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. I did and liked it very much because...

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. I don't trust freewares, because...

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  5. Some options are lacking, i.e....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I'm too in love with my own client, which is..., because...

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  7. Tried it and still do, satisfied because...

5 vote(s)
    26.3%
  8. I don't like testing softs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Apparently not. i tried, doesn't work for accounts. You also cannot hold down shift or ctrl and select multiple accounts.

Also, there is not much of a progress meter other than "recieving messages: 1 of 1" no idea how long it will take. So if you get send some huge attachment, you cannot see that. it might be nice to bail if you want to, not just wait and wait.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I do get a progress box on send.

Attached Files:

3. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Yes I too get that.

Attached Files:

4. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

I set it to check spelling. I don't like that the spell checker pops up even when there are no spelling errors. This should atleased be an option.

And about the progess meter above: they give you one when you know the file size (since you are sending it) but not when you are revieving it (and could have no idea of the size) hmm...

5. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

UNICRON,

Right now (before the developers decide what extensions to include in the final release) you can add the get all mail accounts feature with one of several extensions.

Easy Get Mail 0.2 would work.

I am currently using MagicSLR because it lets me customize the toolbar and add a get all button. It also adds the ability to send email later (not as good as Outlook 2003, but good enough). If I didn't want the send later feature, I would use the Easy Get Mail extension.

The Bayesian spam filtering is really quite good after it has been trained for a little while. It is far superior to the Outlook 2003 junk mail message filters I had set up and has already saved me a lot of time.

Note: there are several other worthwile extensions at both links, although some are only available at the second link.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2004
  6. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

AHHA!

That solves that. Thank You Devinco.

I am not sure I trust third party extensions on the whole though. I would be picky of whose extension I install.

In one way it is nice to extend your favorite app, but it is also a kind of cop-out by the developers.

7. Devinco

I also have a security concern about third party extensions. I think they (Thunderbird Developers) should see which extensions are most popular (easily determined by number of downloads). They should then incorporate just the select ones everybody demands should be standard. They should take the other most popular extensions under their wing and certify them as non-malware. This would maintain an open-source/natural selection/survival of the fittest type of environment. It would keep development time to a minimum while ensuring the security of the "approved" extensions.

8. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

Yes that is a good aproach. Another approach is to get the source and read it first, then complie it. Not everyone can read code, but most people know someone who can and is trustable.

9. darkroomdevil

darkroomdevil Registered Member

A while ago I went into major search mode for an email client. At that time I had computers at home and my business, but no laptop (which is from which I now manage all of my email). At that time my home is where I have the time to go through email and read/respond - but I sometimes needed access at the business. So I needed the capability of viewing messages on the server and downloading without deleting chosen messages so that they would still be there to download when I got home - to keep it all together.

The two best programs I found that could do this were The Bate and Poco Mail. I chose Poco Mail because of the support of plug-in style architecture, and an excellent attitude from the users on the forum that pocomail runs.

I now use Mailwasher Pro from Firetrust to delete spam off of the server before it ever makes it's way into my computer, then Poco Mail for email. I love both programs. I just found Firefox, which I love and it has made me curious about Thunderbird ... but Poco is great.

Roger

10. Devinco

Hi Roger and welcome to Wilders!
    Thunderbird is able to leave mail on the server as well.

Poco Mail (now called Barca i think) looks pretty good (haven't tried it) from what I read on the site. It seems to offer safe email settings.
    Mailwasher Pro is also a useful program.
    If your email client does what you need it to, is safe, and you like it, then go with it.

11. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Tried it and dumped it. :(
    :D I love my Poco and now my Barca endlessly to just change.
    FYI: PocoMail hasn't changed of name. It's still PocoMail.
    Barca is a new product, which has an integrated PIM, but the look and the feel are like PM.
    If you want to know more about it, take a look at their website

Last edited: Jul 16, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.