Free System Info Tool (Similar to AIDA)

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sakharg, Jul 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

Don't know if people already know about this, but there is a freeware program called Fresh Diagnose very similar in form and function to AIDA, SiSoft.......the usual slew of info about your system internals, programs, hardware, etc.

It's free, and a new version (ver 6) was just released a few days ago. I think you have to get a code from them to activate it proper and although it arrives pretty quickly in the email, some people might be loathe to give them some basic information just to get free software. Your call on that one......the software itself is pretty decent, and similar to AIDA in the kind of info it presents, except that I prefer AIDA's interface......no known spyware, at least none that AdAware, Spybot or Spycop could pickup after installation.

It works without the code, though, and as far as I can tell, no diagnostic tool seems to be disabled without it, so I don't know if that whole code thing is to get personal info for some other reason. But I certainly have not seen any increase in spam after my own experience.

You can get it at http://www.freshdiagnose.com/downfiles.html

Perhaps the experts can post their comments on the software?

2. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

As far as I'm aware Fresh Devices use a BHO, no thanks,not for me. ;)

Edit; I'm not an expert. :eek:

3. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi manOFpeace,

Nothing wrong with using a BHO. So do SpywareGuard, Spybot S&D and lots of others.

Regards,

Pieter

4. manOFpeace

Hi Pieter, why does BHODemon not bring them up, like it brings up
    Norton Anti-virus and Adobe which I deleted. (Abobe)
    It also previously brought up Fresh untill I deleted it. There was also another one I reckoned didn't need Internet Access and deleted it as well.
    The only one I reckoned required Access was NAV. Why does Fresh
    require BHO status to tell you the specs. of your computer.
    Aida and Belarc don't need BHO's.
    I had some Fresh software as well, not any more. :(
    Pieter, with the greatest of respect most of those names I wouldn't let near my computer. To my reckoning all BHO's are suspicious.

See Here

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi manOFpeace,

A BHO, just like any other sort of program can be used in many ways, good or bad. It is good to be cautious of BHO´s. If you would count the entries on the list I linked to, you would find that 171 of them are bad, 143 legitimate and 44 unsure/unknown.

What is interesting is you stating that BHODemon didn´t recognize it. BHO´s start from one place in the registry and that´s the one that BHODemon checks. How did you find out that it was a BHO if BHODemon didn´t list it?

Regards,

Pieter

6. manOFpeace

Pieter, I am unclear what you mean. Do you mean BHODemon didn't
    list Fresh? If that is the case, it did, the reason I got every spec of Fresh removed from my computer.
    I'm sorry, I posted the wrong link above, should be:

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/techbull/CIACTech02-002.shtml

7. Pieter_Arntz

Hi manOFpeace,

The statement quoted above kind of threw me of (and the link you gave ;) )
    I know what you mean, but every .exe, .pif, .com etc. can contain malicious code.
    Most BHO´s can be looked up. Do you have the CLSID and the name of the .dll of the BHO Fresh uses?

Regards,

Pieter

8. manOFpeace

Apologies to sakharg, no offence intended. ;)
    I have a strong dislike of BHO's. :mad:
    I don't have MickeyTheMan on my side.
    :eek:

Sorry Pieter, it's a long time ago, it's all gone.
    But they still spam me.

9. Pieter_Arntz

Hmmmm. I´ll ask around and let you know.

Regards,

Pieter

10. manOFpeace

Pieter, this is from that list you gave, I tried to cut and paste, unable.

Attached Files:

11. Pieter_Arntz

Hi manOFpeace,

Good find. :)

As you can see it is marked as legit. I´ll have to install the program to prove that wrong.
    I´ll try and make some time for that next week, if that would make you feel better.

Regards,

Pieter

12. sakharg

sakharg Registered Member

Hi manofpeace,

no offence taken at all! I did not know about the BHO situation, so I do apologise for bringing up bad memories. I just stumbled upon Fresh Diagnose while looking for free tools similar to AIDA, and actually I've since deleted it because I still prefer AIDA. I did have my suspicions because of needing to give them personal info, and I'll continue to keep a close eye on the spam situation.

Pieter, thanks for the link to the BHO explanation. It was very informative and a good learning experience, as is this exchange between you and Manofpeace. This is why I mostly lurked on Wilders for about a year and a half, 'cos I know f-all!! Sigh, maybe I'll go back to lurking.....

13. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

Yes it does, like it lists Acrobat reader BHO for instance : that does not mean it's used to track you ;)

Freshdevice spams you when you are registerd : after a while (don't recall how long) the progy doe not work any longer if you don't register with a valid addy so you get spam from them.

Rgds,

14. Douglas

Douglas Guest

Hey sakharg,

Please don't do that. You've started a very interesting thread. We need you here!

Regards,
    Douglas

15. manOFpeace

:)Just to be clear,I had 2 or 3 of their utilities installed. This has only come to mind now so I am unable to say when the BHO would have been placed. Sorry about that. :oops:

Pieter, don't go installing Fresh just for me, I have my mind made up about them.
    I am not saying whether their legal or illegal, I don't know, but I don't want them on my computer.

It's a long time since I checked for BHO and only found one, NAV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.