free, safe music downloads?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by smokie420, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/4368/p2pandspyware1ff.png

As you can see, Ares installed a toolbar while Limewire installed nothing. Also, I couldn't get past Ares very plain GUI (even though it found several files I liked and seemed to have a good search engine). But Limewire combined both, AND had no spyware/adware bundled with it. Therefore, it's my obvious runaway choice for a P2P client to download and use.

2. stryder83

stryder83 Registered Member

When I tried limewire it was bundled with TopText iLookup (spyware). Spybot S&D caught this after scanning immediately after the installation.

That data may be bias for marketing purposes....... If I owned LimeWire, I would pay to have data like that skewed in my favor.

It's actually hard to trust any review really, because you'll never know what contract they have and with whom. I guess the best way is to try and see for yourself - or, if you're a little more reserved than most, take advice like a grain of salt and pick one you feel may be safer and/or better.

Regards,
    Brandon

3. JRCATES

I can honestly say, Brandon, that you are the first person that I have heard say that Limewire came bundled with any spyware. I'm not saying that I don't believe or doubt you, but you are publicly questioning the authenticity and results of a test conducted by PCPitstop.com, a well known, trusted and respected web-site.....and asking users to trust you that you just downloaded and had spyware installed through Limewire. That result from Spybot could very well have simply been a false positive.

I have heard that some people have downloaded MP3s through Limewire and contracted some virus or something, and then tried to blame that on Limewire....but those type of infected files are spread all throughout the Gnutella and other similar networks so they could also have been downloaded through practically any P2P client.

I've had the free version of Limewire on my machine for several months now, and during that time....between all of the countless hundred and even thousand "scheduled" and "manual" scans of anti-virus (McAfee VirusScan 9.0, Kasperskpy Web Scanner 5.0), anti-spyware (Spyware Doctor, Ad-Aware, CounterSpy, Spybot S&D), and anti-trojan (TrojanHunter, ewido, A-Squared).......NONE OF THEM has even hinted at anything related to Limewire.

Anyway, I don't know whether that says "sucks for you" or "good for me", but either way I'm extremely pleased thus far with Limewire. It even notifies me of "corrupt links" to downloads once I have finished and won't play the bad files. I guess I'll just wish you continued better luck with Ares, but I've tried both, and personally....I'll recommend Limewire every time between these two.

4. stryder83

stryder83 Registered Member

It's all on personal opinion - PCPitStop.com may be reliable and well known, but I don't know them, and thus wouldn't say they are reliable.

It's along the same lines as M$ vs. Linux - each has the good and the bad, but who's to say who's right? All boils down to personal opinion.

So if you say "LimeWire is the best" and I say "Ares is the best" and PCpitstop.com says "WinMX has the biggest market share out of the clean p2p programs", then it's up to the reader as to what he wants or who he will believe (if any).

As for publicly questioning the authenticity of the testing by PCpitstop.com, I have every right to do so. Questioning the ways things are done or what they produce is a crutial part of the improvement process.

Another important thing we forgot to mention is growth - does anyone know of any of these p2p programs mentioned in this thread that may have stopped developing new versions? Are any of them coming out with a new version soon?

Regards,
    Brandon

5. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Sonya ,out of the three your daughter uses I would say limewire is the only one that doesn't install spyware. I heard something about a newer version Morpheous that may be clean but I can't confirm this maybe someone here can. The older versions were Kazaa like regarding installing malware on your system.

6. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

Thanks for the info. gre87y
    She likes Limewire. That's all she uses now :D

7. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

Your very welcome Sonya.

8. JRCATES

Hey Sonya, what about me? o_O :D

LOL....the reason I posted in this thread wasn't to argue with an Ares fan, I promise! I just wanted to provide some reputable and published info about which P2P clients are known and have been tested to bundle spyware....as well as an overall perspective on the subject at hand, that's all. Anyway, glad you have it straightened out now....and sorry if it seemed to get off course there for a moment. I'm glad that she likes Limewire, and I can honestly say that 'm not surprised either...

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I thought that one of the basic preventing security rules was NOT to use P2P softwares at all.
    According my readings, an adware/spyware free P2P software doesn't mean it's safe.

10. SonyaM32

LOL :D You're welcome too JRCRATES :) Didn't mean to forget. I always thank the people who help me out! Thanks for bringing that to my attention :D And I never though you were arguing with anyone! :) After the info. I've found out here and elsewhere about Limewire, I think it's the best. But now I am thinking after that court ruling here recently, we may soon not be able to download any free music anymore. :mad: I hope they don't stop it! Does anyone know anything about that??
    And thanks for the info! :cool: Very helpfull!

And also thanks to everyone for all the helpfull info! :cool:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2005
  11. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Have you tried eMule?

Cheers :D

12. SonyaM32

No not yet. :D But I see it's on the list in post 51 , no adware/spyware installed :D So I may try it too! Thanks :)

13. JRCATES

LOL...no problems, Sonya....just wanted to try to help :D

And Erik....the best way not to catch any STDs is not to have sex either ;)

You gotta live a little....and while researching, being careful and taking responsibility isn't a guarantee either....it does make it whole a lot "safer".

Take away music downloads altogether from my PC, and you take away a big enjoyment that I get from it. Kind of like fat free, calorie free, sodium/salt free, sugar free, TASTE free food! It may be good for me, buuuuuuut....

14. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Arrrggghhhh enough of that please, almost interfered with eating my burger and fries with extra salt, cheese and triple meat patty, of course needs to be followed with supersize thick shake and a sundae :eek: ;) :D :ninja: I did say almost :rolleyes: :D :ninja:

15. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

OK. I will do that again :)

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Re: How to find installed Codecs.

this should play divx
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/ffdshow

17. SonyaM32

Why would LimeWire install View Point Manager...?
    A friend of mine got LimeWire, but she also got View Point Manager along with it. She also ended up with View Point Media Player from LimeWire. Anyone have a clue?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.