Free RAM APPS

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FluxGFX, Feb 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

I was wondering what would be a good well define Free Ram program..... anyone care to comment ?

2. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

FluxGFX.

I have been trying a few freeware programs for managing RAM on my computer.

The program that I posted about previously was FAST Defrag2.It worked well.It would defrag my RAM(clean) on demand.

I'm trying AnalogX MaxMem now.
    It's more of a management tool and works automatically.
    You have to configure it which is easy to do and they have suggestions for that.
    You configure for :minimum,periodic,aggressive levels.

You can find some free memory utilities at webattack.com.(that's where I found these two programs)
    I would check AnalogX though.They have some info on managing RAM and there program is a very good one so far.
    The differences between the two programs is that FAST Defrag2 has some other features(task manager is one)but isn't as good a manager IMO.
    MaxMem manages automatically very well and can defrag at one of three levels on demand.
    Some of the websites from the programs available at webattack have a lot of info and explanations.
    Here's the AnalogX address: http://www.analogx.com

3. the Tester

This is an update of sorts.

To make a long story short,I found a lot more memory managing/free ram programs at majorgeeks.com.

I'm trying another program out.It's a memory manager quite similar to MaxMem.It's Free Ram XP Pro 1.30.

From what I have learned a defragger or on-demand cleaner does just that.
    A manager will clean when triggered by pre-set limits or on-demand.The programs that I have tested and prefer so far have some info and minor suggestions.

Memory is not always released by a program when it closes.That in some cases can slow down your system speed.My sytem was a bit slow and StatBar showed that my RAM being used was higher than I expected.I am "particular" and curious about RAM usage and tweaking it.

AnalogX's MaxMem is pretty much a "set it and forget it" program.Although you do have to activate it(doesn't appear to have setting for startup with Windows).You have boundaries that you can set.It comes with default boundaries already set that were good for me.

FreeRam XP Pro has a more detailed set-up.It can start with Windows(startup).Will free RAM automatically after a specified time.It has a logging feature that can be used.It has a few display options.It has an update feature and is freeware from A Yourware Solution.

I do notice that my pc uses less RAM with either of these programs running.
    MaxMem is definitely easier to use and understand.

4. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Been using MaxMem set to start with Windows on both 98SE and Win2k for quite a while now. Light on resources and takes care of mem management for all those programs that don't release mem properly when closing down.

BTW, there are many ways to add programs to start automatically in win 2k, one of which is to make a short cut of your app and move it to your folder \Documents and Settings\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

5. the Tester

Mickey.

On XP I noticed that MaxMem is on the menu when I click the "start" tab.
    I haven't tried to make a shortcut for starting up at boot.
    Thanks for the tip.I never thought of doing that.

I found the update feature when I looked in the "all programs" menu.
    It's an option in the AnalogX folder.

6. MickeyTheMan

MickeyTheMan Security Expert

Of course, for anyone using RegRun, it is even simplier to add any program to start automatically.

7. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I am using fast defrag2 also. Looking for something beeter now? lol

8. the Tester

Notageek.
    You mean me? ;)

I'm always looking to improve something or other on my pc.

I do like MaxMem and FreeRam XP Pro better.
    I got curious and went to my favorite download sites and these two programs looked too interesting for me to pass up.

I start surfing around and the next thing I know I'm testing some new program out. :D

9. notageek

notageek Registered Member

How do they work on XP home?

10. the Tester

Notageek.

They both work well on my XP home pc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.