Free privacy software

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by YODA, Jul 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA

YODA Registered Member

Hey guys,

Sorry i don't know to much about the privacy software area, but wut are some good free privacy software that are out there? I already have Ad-aware, is the Anti-keylogger ne good? Ne one ever found a keylogger program with it? heh....

YODA

2. snowman

snowman Guest

There are numerous free programs...an surprisingly in many cases the free programs are better than the shareware programs...of course not in all cases.

for e mail there is "mailwasher" or "EMC" (pop accounts only)

for cookies there is "cookieMuncher" others also
    for "scripts" there is "script defender"

for proxies there is "proxo" " web washer" Naviscope"
    *proxo" is lite on its feet..yet powerful but has a rather
    steep learning curve. worth the effort.

there is "Jap" to hide your completely

there is "Adshield" *very useful*
    there are several "blocklists" available...
    Don't overlook "fileprotector" by javacool...and IdBlaster by one and the same....that javacool is getting to be a real Robin Hood......got to just lorv his style.
    these are just a very few of many.....I do strongly suggest that if you are new at this that not go installing just any old freeware program..but instead used programs that have been well tested by the members here....they wont lead you wrong.
    my apology for not offering the links to the programs...I just reformated an lost my links......but you can check these;
    www.webattack.com
    www. analogX.com

of course wilders freetools has most everything you may need.........hope this gets you started....wishing you the best....oh..don't hesitate to ask how to config any of these programs....someone here is always willing to help

snowman

you do have a firewall...anti-virus...trojan scanner ?

3. snowman

snowman Guest

Comment:

unless you have a particular concern that a keylogger may be placed on your system...it would not imo be the top priority......PREVENTION is; preventing viruses..trojans keyloggers...spyware....tracking...bad scripts...bad cookies...an yes bad websites....before they are able to cause damage....plus cleaning if they do cause damage....that is place to start....in my humble opinion.
    snowman

4. snowman

snowman Guest

after re-reading my previous posts I am reminded that each person has his/her own particular privacy needs......also....that for a person new to security it can be overwhelming mentioning alot of programs all at once.
    so...the following are my suggestions as programs to begin with.

Script Defender
    Adshield (with a block list)
    Cookie Muncher

I realize that for experience users there are many more programs that could be listed......an each program would server a purpose....an yet...remembering my newbes days I would have been frustrated and overwhelmed if too many programs were suggested at once.........so I suggest to keep it fun and enjoyable....go slow.....an just enjoy yourself.

snowman

of course always use a firewall and anti virus

5. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Very good advice, snowman!

Add things one at a time and make sure you have them set correctly, that they're functioning right and that they haven't impacted anything else negatively on your system.

You have simply got to read ( and understand!) all the 'Help', 'FAQ's', 'readme's'. 'Known Issues' and (if they have them) forums for all the information they have for all programs you install on your computer - especially security-related programs!

A badly-setup security program can be worse than no security program at all.

Yod@ - Didn't you read this thread? http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=2465;start=15 . Covers the same question. Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.