Free Pop-up Blockers

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Ijsbeer, Sep 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ijsbeer

Ijsbeer Registered Member

There is probably a thread about this but I couldn't find it. I did a search, honest. Well I found really old threads from 2004. I don't know if this is the right forum either. If its the wrong place I appologize.

I need a good free pop-up blocker. I am currently using IE. I have used Opera in the past but Opera doesn't work well with a forum I frequent (A LOT) and the functionality keeps annoying me. I don't like firefox either.

I set the pop-up blocker that is built in with IE to high, but it only blocks the most obvious pop-ups. I also have a norman firewall.

I used the gogodata pop-up blocker for a while. It was good at first but soon got buggy. It blocked stuff from sites I had allowed. Also it let stuff as winfixer/errorsafe through. (actually my firewall did to, even though I manually blocked the sites in my firewall). The free version of gogodata isn't updated and won't be. Because of all this I disabled it.

I installed the free trail of super ad blocker until I find another pop-up blocker.

Normally I don't really visit high risk sites but I do play a lot of online games. Many of these run on free ware sites causing a lot of popups. Also I have discovered that even seemling normally sites have adverts from winfixer/errorsafe. I managed to prevent it from infecting my computer last time because I knew what it was and by chance acted really fast. Fast enough to actually being able to close the browser. But I prefer a pop-up blocker that blocks it next time.

Any advice is highly appricated.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.