Free Imaging software - CloneZilla & PartImage - Tutorial

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Mrkvonic, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi all,

I believe you will very much like this article.

Imaging software usually costs money. Now, there are two free alternatives, CloneZilla and PartImage, but most people do not really know how to use them, especially since they are Linux-based and run off CD.

So ... I have written this step-by-step tutorial that explains in every tiny detail how to use them and image both Windows and Linux systems.

They are free, stable, fast, and will make small, reasonable images that you can deploy to other machines, restore to the existing or other hard disks, and a whole lot more.

Everything you're familiar with, minus 50-100 dollar costs :)

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/free_imaging_software.html

Comments are most welcome. Have fun!

Mrk

2. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Hi Mrkvonic,

Thanks for starting a guide. Are u planning on adding a restore procedure as well? Because, while I use mostly default settings during backup, I don't usually use defaults during restore (depends on Clonezilla version).
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1295543&postcount=14

And also some restore settings I don't understand, so some explanation would be useful.

Thanks.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

That's a good idea. I thought the other way around was ... well, the logical mirror of the backup procedure. Once you get the hang of syntax and such, y'know. Apparently not.

So I'll be adding to the article ... gimme a few weeks, my brain is already imploding from too much writing :)

Mrk

4. yeow

yeow Registered Member

Thanks for considering.

Just to clarify, I started using clonezilla with gparted-clonezilla livecd v2.2 and one of the default setting during restore was:
    Code:
    [ ] -k DO NOT create partition table in target harddisk in client
    I later switched to clonezilla live, and that setting was the same in earlier versions, and then default selected in later versions:
    Code:
    [*] -k DO NOT create partition table in target harddisk in client
    I've always selected it "[*] -k" during my restores. There're other options which I select/deselect as well. But I've always wondered what if I didn't?

BTW I don't think there're many guides for clonezilla which include explanations of settings for novices like me. So your guide is very much appreciated. Thanks agn.

5. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Thanks Mrk. I was thinking about getting a linux desktop and was wondering how I could image it for back ups. Very timely article.

Cheers
    Jeremy

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Another very good and useful one, much appreciated Mrk.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Been using CloneZilla for a long while now and love it. Puts Ghost to shame.

Also, your instructions are right on the money. Looked time consuming. :). Nicely done. Thanks.

BTW, at least from my experience, people who wish to clone Ubuntu Intrepid, or some of the other more recent distro releases, might want to use the CloneZilla Intrepid version. I tried a standard CloneZilla on an Intrepid Alpha some time back and got a Grub failed to install error (even on Suse and Debian's latest if I recall) but the CloneZilla Intrepid version rectified that situation. Works excellent on Vista and XP as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.