Free firewall, what to choose?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ako, Oct 22, 2009.

?

Free firewall, what to choose?

1. Comodo

36 vote(s)
    19.8%
  2. Outpost

23 vote(s)
    12.6%
  3. PCTools

11 vote(s)
    6.0%
  4. Zonealarm

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Online armor

42 vote(s)
    23.1%
  6. Kerio

6 vote(s)
    3.3%
  7. Windows firewall

50 vote(s)
    27.5%
  8. Privatefirewall

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Jetico

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  10. Webroot

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  11. NetVeda Safety.Net

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  12. Ashampoo

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  13. Filseclab

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

See here for instructions concerning Vista and its outbound control.

2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

It's more about having a clue what you are talking about rather than being a moderator.

3. nikanthpromod

nikanthpromod Registered Member

Windows firewall is very safe.;)
    Check with shields up

4. captainron

captainron Registered Member

Windows Firewall for many reasons. Its a good inbound filter that doesn't use extra resources like 3rd party firewalls and its very hands free whereas I worry that 3rd party firewalls are too involved and you have to tinker with it too much with admin privileges. Too much trouble to go through for no security benefit, if you want outbound filtering Vista/7 have it. For me I think outbound filtering is more of a gimmick, its easy for malware to disguise itself during outside communication as scvchost.exe, or as Background Intelligent Transfer Service like this old trojan for example: http://www.computerworld.com/s/arti...indows_Update_s_downloader?source=rss_topic85

5. guest

guest Guest

I use Windows Firewall on my Win7 Ultimate x86 (+ the Router built-in firewall), but if I was going to install a freeware alternative, it would be PC Tools Firewall Plus.

Already used it in and it did a very good job, on XP Pro it also scores 100% in latest Matousec tests.

6. progress

progress Guest

Great answer :thumb: But outbound control is disabled by default - am I right? :doubt:

7. nikanthpromod

in my opinion PC tools Firewall plus is not good as compared to Zone alarm ,outpost free ,online armor .
    Windows firewall is better than Pctools.:isay:

8. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

Why do you think so?

9. guest

guest Guest

I use Windows Firewall (+ Router built-in Firewall) because I really don't need the extra features that PC Tools Firewall Plus has on stock.

However, I disrespectfully disagree with your post. Matousec does a comprehensive review that subjects tested security products to many different tests covering many areas of Windows OS security.

In Matousec's latest tests, PC Tools Firewall Plus scored 100% as it passes in all tests, 100% of them. This freeware firewall is also very lightweight and unobtrusive, as it is built using the new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) - therefore offering great and precise support to newest versions of protocols (IPv6) and Windows OSes, both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of: Vista, Server 2008, 7 and Server 2008 R2. They still support XP as well, but only the 32-bit (x86) version.

Your suggestions of firewalls don't have such good grades in Matousec's latest tests, therefore aren't as good as PC Tools Firewall Plus:
    ZoneAlarm Pro - passes 72% of the tests
    ZoneAlarm Free - passes 11% of the tests
    Outpost Free - passes 93% of the tests
    Online Armor Premium - passes 99% of the tests
    Online Armor Free - passes 92% of the tests

10. nikanthpromod

Matousec is not a firewall testing site anymore. Matousec started in 2006 and was run mostly by university students to test traditional firewalls or "packet filters," but after two years it changed from “Firewall Challenges” into “Proactive Security Challenges”.
    So it is not a firewall testing site now.
    http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/matousec-personal-firewall-tests-analyzed.htm
    http://smokeys.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/matousecs-new-moves-to-recapture-the-label-trustworthy/

Now about PC tools firewall plus.
    If u want an HIPS then that is a good product. But as a firewall , The products i mentioned above are better than this.:isay:
    https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    go to that site and do a port scanning attack . It will fail.
    I also used PC tools firewall when it became 2nd (99%) in matousec.
    After using it i realised what a stupid review is matousec's:ouch:

11. guest

guest Guest

Matousec's Proactive Security Challenge remains the most comprehensive review of security products that do some kind of "proactive" protection. Personal Firewalls are in this group of software.

Did you really see what it tests? Read:
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/faq.php
    http://www.matousec.com/projects/proactive-security-challenge/#methodology-rules

About GRC ShieldsUP, PC Tools Firewall Plus easily passes it with Stealth in everything when I used it. If it didn't pass this basic port scan test in your computer (even Windows Firewall passes it, it only tests the In-bound filter), it might be your Router's fault. Your Router may need some special configuration.

12. nikanthpromod

Look at the results , u can see Mamutu and threatfire. Will u use those as ur Firewall??:rolleyes:
    Also u can see many internet security suites with low scores. It is because they dont have HIPS.
    Meaning of proactive:Acting in advance to deal with an expected difficulty.

So they must test Antivirus products, antimalware prooducts also.

I dont have a router. All pctools firewall plus versions ive used failed in Shields up. Dont know whyo_O

13. guest

guest Guest

Mamutu and Threatfire are all down in the list, with 2% and 5% scores, respectively.
    About your other confusion, I think you didn't read their FAQ. Look at the following excerpt:
    Test the latest sixth version. When I used it, it passed in all Shield's UP tests.

14. nikanthpromod

this thread is about "Free firewall, what to choose?"
    Not "free HIPS, behavior blockers ,what to choose?"

I dont want to argue with this :gack: . Your computer ,u can use any software.
    Your choice.

I said my points , u said ur points. Thats all.
    Now time here is 11.45 pm . Im going to have a nice sleep.
    :cool:

15. guest

guest Guest

Yes I know. But even from a "free personal firewall restricted perspective", PC Tools Firewall Plus is probably the best.

As I said before, this freeware firewall is very lightweight and unobtrusive, as it is built using the new Windows Filtering Platform (WFP) - therefore offering great and precise support to newest versions of protocols (IPv6) and Windows OSes, both 32-bit (x86) and 64-bit (x64) versions of: Vista, Server 2008, 7 and Server 2008 R2. They still support XP as well, but only the 32-bit (x86) version.

Being the top performer of Matousec's tests only helps it to claim the "best free personal firewall" award even more. There is no reason to not accept this fact, the other free alternatives (including those suggested by you) simply don't catch up.

16. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

COMODO CIS IS NO1 IN THE WORLD , YOU CAN LOCATE SOME TESTS ABOUT IT , AND YOU WILL SEE ITS A LEADER FIREWALL ALWAYS :)

17. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

sometimes it is true that i really wonder if people realize the difference between a good firewall and a good HIPS, i have yet to see anything proving to me CIS is a good firewall (its already been known for a while that its a pretty good HIPS)

18. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

ok , lets make it simple , what is a firewall?! watch ports open / close and approve / reject access to them by software right?! welp this kinda job did fierwalls 7 years ago ... so how can we ask "which is the best firewall"??

this days , malware make you pc "open" ports to allow junk to enter your pc (like spam or trojan) so firewall DID get improved (yes all of them arround) and add HIPS to its protection , in this term CIS FROM COMODO take the lead always , and remain in the 3 best firewalls in the market (facts) and also FREE :D

cheers :)

19. firzen771

not really... theyr are firewalls that are intended for that purpose even today, not 7 years ago (look n stop for one) and thats really what some people want, they want a firewall for the purpose of a firewall and not to just pass leak tests (which is all the tests u see like matousec that ur most likely basing ur judgment off of)

who knows maybe im old fashioned but i believe a firewall should do what its name suggests and a HIPS should be a HIPS, not some mixed concoction.

20. guest

guest Guest

21. firzen771

22. guest

guest Guest

Suggest tests and define the "actual firewall", please. If you refer to what is tested in GRC Shield's UP, for example.

23. nikanthpromod

That will explain the working of a Firewall
    http://computer.howstuffworks.com/firewall.htm

Also u must check the firewalls listed in Matousec test.
    Many of them fails shields up testing.

24. guest

guest Guest

None of the leader ones, like the best of them, PC Tools Firewall Plus, fail ShieldsUP testing.

Concluding from the HowStuffWork's initial text, HIPS are functionality very related to Firewalls, if a Firewall job is really similar to a physical firewall that keeps a fire from spreading from one area to the next.

HIPS are not only related, but needed to accomplish such a task. In other words: Firewalls must have HIPS implementations to accomplish their tasks. If you think about it for a minute you will conclude the same.

25. nikanthpromod

Then check malware defender ,SSM with Shields UP ( turn off Windows firewall)
    I tried it today. It passed ShiedsUP but made my Internet slow.
    I checked it with comodo leak test . It scored poorly 180/340. SO its not a good HIPS as well as firewall.o_O
    PC tools firewall plus is the worst firewall :thumbd:
    :cautious:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.