Free firewall for windows XP

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by justpassing, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justpassing

justpassing Guest

http://www.securityfocus.com/brief/80

http://www.securityfocus.com/archive/1/417898

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2005
  2. moreinfo

moreinfo Guest

Sounds like Tiny firewall. Not the one that become kerio, but the big one with sandboxing.

3. Arup

Arup Guest

Has anyone tried this out? I tried out the initial release and had to reformat my system.

4. justpassing

justpassing Guest

darn stable on mine.

Dont know what your problem is Arup, maybe too many firewalls use in the past?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nah, this one is buggy and needs a lot of work still. I tried it out too, on a freshly formatted system, clean as a whistle, and it stinks. It's way too early yet in the development cycle to be using it. Many bugs and some features didn't even work yet. Don't remember the details, just that I removed it quickly. I did even try 2 releases, the last one tried pegged by cpu usage at around 20% constantly, which is ridiculous..

6. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hey peeps,

I have to agree with both Kerodo and Arup, create lots of problems. For now I wouldn't touch this, only on a test base alpha version type of thing... There is much improvement needed. Also note that it is promessing. Looking forward to see what comes out of it.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

Last edited: Dec 15, 2005
  7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, I agree that it is promising.. Just needs a lot of work still. It is quite complex and tries to do a lot of things, so it will take some time to perfect it. But perhaps down the road more toward version 1.0...

8. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Perfection is only in the eye of the beholder ! :p

*BTW Kerodo I don't see you on yahoo! anymore. Did you ditch me mf!!! :p LOL

9. charincol

charincol Registered Member

I use something similar installed on my firewall/router box (which is made of parts over 5 years old) called pfSense which is based off of FreeBSD. It also uses BSD's Packet Filter. If the Windows port of this is decent and gets to be real stable then this could very well be one the best. *BSD firewall packet filtering capabilities are very difficult to match and they are highly customizable and configurable.

Definitely one to watch.

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

LOL... Nah, I haven't been on much lately... But I'm sure I'll see you again soon... ;)

Perfection is elusive for sure.. most likely there is no such animal.. :'(

11. Arup

Arup Guest

Many firewalls for sure but all installed on fresh formatted systems, so no conflicts there. Just don't work, too many errors, but maybe the new one deserves another look.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Nah, don't bother. The new one was where I get the 20% cpu usage. There is apparently some conflict with it's drivers and my wireless driver. Never happens on any other firewall though, so it's something they need to work out.

13. justpassing

justpassing Guest

Heh, it seems that people who are big fans of firewalls testing, are forever formatting their systems or having software problems

Poor little me, have never had this problem though. I wonder why...

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Probably because you don't do much testing and/or you're just lucky... ;)

15. Arup

Arup Guest

Cause you are truly blessed most exalted one:)

Us poor souls are forever cursed.

16. justpassing

justpassing Guest

I think maybe it's because you guys know SO much more than me about computers..... ;)

17. Zero3K

Zero3K Registered Member

Core Force v0.70.111 has been released today. It fixes bugs that caused BSODs to happen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.